PDA

View Full Version : Which scooter for a 3 yo?

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2009, 05:56 AM
The GPs want to know what to get DD for her 3rd b'day. She already has a Kettler (can't pedal still), a Hotwalk balance bike, and a LT playhouse. I was thinking the Galt Folding Trampoline, but DH thinks it will spell danger in our house with the little brothers. I think it would be great!

So...now I'm seeking advice about scooters. The My First (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2646213) seems like it might be quickly outgrown per reviewers, but I don't see a lot of the Little Red (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2306503&CAWELAID=107509578) when I do searches. Are there some others that would be worth considering?

Does anyone have some guidance for us? I should have linked to the Walmart prices as they are much better than TRU. Have you seen a deal or sale on them anywhere?

ETA: What about this one made in Switzerland. It looks nice too - and it got some award - The Micro Mini Scooter (http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Scooters-America-Mini-Scooter/dp/B000K22D9Y)

o_mom
05-06-2009, 07:38 AM
The third one looks like it wouldn't steer very well. For the first one, since you have ample kids to pass it down, I wouldn't worry about it being outgrown quickly - I think any three wheel one will be. Even my super cautious DS1 could use a 2 wheel one by 4-4.5 yrs. DS2 went straight to a Razor A at age 3, but YMMV.

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2009, 08:15 AM
I think the last one is one that someone bought one of my friends' kids, but she doesn't check email often and I hate to call a mom of 4 under 6 when she's on duty by herself :)

The last one says it has "lean and steer" steering, like surfing, which sounds cool. it doesn't look like the Little Red scooter has a brake. Is that important?

What kinds of stores would have these in stock you think?

KrystalS
05-06-2009, 09:34 AM
I got DD a 3 wheel scooter when she was 3 and the steering was horrible. It was just one of the typical character scooters from TRU, so that may have been why. I ended up just getting her a Razor a few months later because she got so frustrated with the 3 wheel. She could easily use it from the beginning, it took her a couple of months to learn to glide with both feet up.

ohiomom1121
05-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Both of my kids got the my first scooters for Christmas and love them. DD is 4.5 and on the taller side and it's fine for her. I like that they have the wide base. She tried a cousin's thinner one and tipped over and was very scared of it. That one comes in pink too and it's REALLY cute.

elliput
05-06-2009, 01:07 PM
We have the RF Little Red Scooter. DD hasn't quite got down the concept of pushing with one foot to get self propelled motion yet, but she likes to stand on it and have me push her around. This scooter works best on smooth concrete. The handle height is adjustable, so it will last quite a while.

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Ok, so I tried to get out and see what was in the real-live marketplace. After picking up my salad spinner at BBB, we walked to Learning Express and played with the Calico Critters, the kitchens, etc. until I heard "MOMMMY, THEY HAVE A SCOOTER FOR ME HERE! WATCH THIS!" and she was zooming around the store. It was the Mini Kick - the one in the Amazon link, and it was actually cheaper there (by $.05) than online. The only way I could get her to leave the store was to call her grandma 1 mile down the road and let her tell her she wanted it for her birthday. Grandma usually gives me her LE coupons, so maybe she'll find one and go pick it up soon.

TRU said they carry My First in the store, but by that time, there was no more energy in my dragging body to get two DC into/out of another toy store. Now to get her another helmet and some pads to keep at the IL's house with it... I hope it works out well. This is (I think) the same one she rode around last month at a friend's house, and she was independent on it inside the store. Hopefully, it will work out.

Sugar Magnolia
05-07-2009, 12:15 PM
We got dd the 3 wheeled scooter from Razor for her birthday last month. I can't remember the name though.
She loves it and it looks like she will not out grow it for awhile.

Tondi G
05-07-2009, 12:18 PM
The Kiddie Kick from Razor might be a good option for you! We had one for our older DS and then he graduated to a regular razor. I love that the 3 wheeler ones fold down now... they didn't always!

http://www.razor.com/products/folding-kiddie-kick.php

WatchingThemGrow
05-07-2009, 01:23 PM
The Kiddie Kick from Razor might be a good option for you! We had one for our older DS and then he graduated to a regular razor. I love that the 3 wheeler ones fold down now... they didn't always!

http://www.razor.com/products/folding-kiddie-kick.php

Did you find it anywhere IRL or just order it? It does look good! The locator says Sears, Walmart, Kmart and Dicks Sporting Goods, but they told me they didn't have any for smaller kids yesterday.

baileygirl
05-07-2009, 02:30 PM
We have the micro mini for ds (2.5) and we like it quite a bit. I think he will be able to use it for several years.