PDA

View Full Version : alimentum vs. nutramigen

neeleymartin
05-06-2009, 06:38 AM
another very long night her in our household. ds2 was up screaming for a good part of the night.

at his 2 week visit doc thought, by our description, that he had colic. ds1 had it terribly. he gave us some nutramigen to try, just like ds1. it seemed to help for a bit, but we are back to painful gas screeches, that seem unbearable to little guy. i don't remember this with #1.

my question is: could alimentum be gentler or better for his little tummy or is it identical to nutramigen? i know that they contain the same nutrients, and are both hypoallergenic, but could slight differences in the formula make it easier to handle. tia

JBaxter
05-06-2009, 07:16 AM
My first 3 boys had problems with gas if I used Enfimil but were ok with similac. Jack is supplamented with Similac Sensitive ( lactose free) the regular milk based constipated him. I tried the Target brand of lactose free and the parents choice brand of lactose free and they also constipate him.

As a MOM ... I would say try the other similar brand. Little ones can be really sensitive to minor things. HUGS hun

neeleymartin
05-06-2009, 07:23 AM
just did a little research on askdrsears.com

different source of carbs:
similac has Sucrose, modified tapioca starch
enfamil has Corn syrup, modified corn starch

maybe the small difference would matter. i think i'll try it.

also the corn syrup in enfamil concerns me.

jren
05-06-2009, 12:07 PM
DS has a milk allergy and is on Allimentum. He couldn't even tolerate the powdered form of Allimentum due to corn-based ingredients, so we are on the ready-to-feed which contains no corn by-products. I say try it, could make a difference. DS has done fantastic on the Allimentum.