PDA

View Full Version : Best first sippy cup?

MoJo
05-06-2009, 08:56 AM
The ped said we should start working with the sippy in December with our DD, who was then 6 months. She's 11 months now, and still not doing well with the sippy.

She does great at breastfeeding, loves feeding herself solids, and drinks water + juice from a bottle (Playtex Drop-Ins) once/day. She actually only uses the slow nipple though. . . doesn't like the fast one.

We've tried the Playtex and Nuby sippies so far. She holds them well, puts them in her mouth, but gets nothing if the valve is in on the Playtex and almost nothing on the Nuby (it doesn't have a valve). If the valve is out, she tips up the cup but doesn't put it in her mouth, and the water + juice goes everywhere.

Any suggestions?

TIA!

Nyfeara
05-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Our daycare starts them all on the Take N Toss sippy cups around 6 months. We used some of those and started with handled ones at home. Starting around 12 mos, DS really did best with the Playtex ones that did not have handles, but the neck was slightly angled (7 oz cup I think).

We tried a few others early on and had to remove the valve on some when he was just getting started, but he got used to it pretty quick. It was just trial & error for us to find one that he liked.

ahrimie
05-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Have you tried straw cups? My friend suggested soft straws and my DD takes them really well. She doesn't really get the sippy cup and at that, she can't hold it on her own. I recently found one from Combi that has a small, soft straw and the cup itself is only 5.5-6 oz so it's the perfect size for us. It's a bit pricey (found at Buy Buy Baby) but it's the only straw cup I can get her to use so far. We tried Nuby, but even for me it's hard to suck on it!

Playtex sipster also has a soft straw... and I hear you can interchange the tops so you could get their small sippy and use the straw instead. This is a cheaper route IIRC.

lorinick
05-06-2009, 11:02 AM
My ds didn't like any sippy cups but like pp said he did take to the take and toss. He than started taking all of them. Now he has no perference to any brand or style.

MoJo
05-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks! I think the Take 'n Toss would have been the last ones I would have tried.

boltfam
05-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I tried TONS of different sippy cups, b/c DS was having a hard time tilting any of them back. I tried the short take 'n toss cups (they have a tall and short version), and they worked perfectly. He now he has no preference; he'll drink out of any sippy cup.

MacMacMoo
05-08-2009, 10:02 PM
DS is 8 months now, I had tried off and on varios sippy cups since Christmas to get him to taje to a sippy. I started with the playtex that didn;t work. I tried the gerber those were no goes. I finally ended up with the Nuby one: http://www.goodforthekids.com/item/Nuby_Twin_Handle_Sippy_Cup_BPA_Free/726/p4 from walmart. DS seems to like drinking it. I bought a couple replacement spouts from the site above and they are handy to have.

halbeisenk
05-09-2009, 03:27 AM
Try a sippy cup with a "soft" spout. Born Free makes a good one or the Nuby worked well for us too. The soft spout makes it seem more like the bottle nipple. You can move up the the harder plastic ones once they do ok with the soft ones. And don't worry, it does take some time.

jenny
05-09-2009, 08:21 AM
I LOVE the takNtoss b/c of the interchangeable lids. I use the small container and put the sippy lid on that and DD can tilt the cup far enough to get water out.

DebbieJ
05-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Another vote for Take N Toss!

zag95
05-09-2009, 02:58 PM
We have Nuby's but DD also prefers the Take N Toss ones- I think they are easier to use for her!