PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Paint color to look like aged cape cod cedar shakes

zoestargrove
05-06-2009, 10:33 AM
We have a cape cod style house. The shakes are painted and need repainting. We'd like to get the look of the aged cedar shakes like you would see at Nantucket or other N.E. beaches. finding it is harder than I expected. Any recommendations and if you have them please share pictures.

Thank you!

Kelly

neeleymartin
05-06-2009, 02:25 PM
do you mean the very dark charcoal look of aged shingles, or the cool gray tones?

the cedar that we have all over is almost black with age. i went out to look, they are grayish, blackish with a green undertone (albeit slight).

dh says you can have ours if you replace our existing ones, lol.

BargainMomforLuke
05-06-2009, 02:27 PM
I would go to Garden Web's That Home Site! & post in the Paint Forum. People there are really knowledgeable about everything under the sun having to do with your home.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/

bubbaray
05-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Is General Paint sold in the US? I'm in Canada and ours is General Paint Beechwood. Since 10 yrs ago, it has faded to the typical Cape Cod grey (I'm from just north of CC). I love it, but our neighbors must hate it -- it looks so faded, LOL.

ETA: ours is an opague stain over cedar siding. Not sure how a paint would work for this??

zoestargrove
05-06-2009, 02:50 PM
I was thinking more of the silvery gray that the white cedar shakes become after years of being on the coast.

thanks for the gardenweb forums. I forgot about them.