PDA

View Full Version : What to do With Coconuts?

kransden
05-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I am the proud owner of 2 coconuts with milk inside leftover from the International Festival at school. What should I do with them, any suggestions?
BTW the kids loved shaking them and hear the milk slosh around.

Wife_and_mommy
05-06-2009, 11:47 AM
You can drill a hole and poke a straw into it to drink the water. It's super yummy!

Or you can take a machete or similar tool and crack it open. The meat is tasty either by itself or in a smoothie.

Have fun. I always eat my coconut from places that sell them prepared. I don't like to work so hard to eat. ;)

BabyMine
05-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Open them. Eat the meat.

I wish I still had a coconut tree.

baymom
05-06-2009, 01:43 PM
You can open them either by pounding them on the ground, or by hitting with a hammer. If it's still okay to eat, it should smell sweet and be white inside--otherwise it will have an awful smell and be brownish. Once you crack it open, you can separate out the meat inside pretty easily, but in case it's not coming out pry a knife between the meat and shell. Coconut is so yummy--enjoy!!

bubbaray
05-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Make a bra-top and get a grass skirt. Make umbrella drinks for you and DH tonight. let the kids eat the meat/insides....

ONLY partly joking. I would definitely make umbrella drinks with the milk. The rest is up to you!

m448
05-06-2009, 01:58 PM
In what stage are your coconuts? Are they large and green or small and brown (with the outer husk removed). The liquid inside is actually coconut water and really great as an electrolyte drink. If you have a fresh green coconut you can scoop out the inside flesh which kind of looks translucent and jellyish like lychees. If you have an older brown coconut then the inside flesh is white like most coconut we see and you can pry it off with a spoon then grate it and either toast it OR blend it with water to squeeze out coconut milk.

ellies mom
05-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Make a bra-top and get a grass skirt. Make umbrella drinks for you and DH tonight. let the kids eat the meat/insides....

ONLY partly joking. I would definitely make umbrella drinks with the milk. The rest is up to you!

Another option is to mount your horse and search for the Holy Grail.

wellyes
05-06-2009, 06:23 PM
In India's Kerala region, coconut is a huge element of the local cuisine. I took a cooking class there - which ended up being just a local family letting you use their kitchen for an hour. They showed us how to scrape out the meat and use it to flavor fish and veggies. It was one of the best meals I have ever had in my life.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
05-06-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm sure if you go to the food network website and look under the good eats show you'll get some great ideas. What about coconut cake from scratch?