PDA

View Full Version : Another Tricycle Advice Thread

mommylamb
05-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Ok, so you've convinced me that I should get a tricycle that has a push bar. I don't want to spend $200 on one of the really expensive kettlers, but does anyone have any advice on the classic flyer foldable trike by kettler?
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Flyer-Kettler-Foldable-Tricycle/dp/B000N33NO4/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1241626783&sr=1-15

Momof3Labs
05-06-2009, 12:34 PM
We've been perfectly content with our $50 Radio Flyer one from Target. Note that the one you linked to does not appear to include the pushbar, so add another $18 to the price (plus possibly more shipping).

citymama
05-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I would recommend the Junior or Blossom trike by Kettler - about $85-100 online. They're great trikes, with excellent resale as well; not tippy, which is my major complaint with RF. I agree; no need to go the $200 route.

mommylamb
05-06-2009, 12:41 PM
We've been perfectly content with our $50 Radio Flyer one from Target. Note that the one you linked to does not appear to include the pushbar, so add another $18 to the price (plus possibly more shipping).

The product description includes a pushbar on this one, but you're right, shipping would be extra. I looked at the reviews of the radio flyer on amazon and a lot of people say it tips. Is that your experience? It's definitely another option.

hellokitty
05-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I would just buy ones used if I could do it over again...

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2009, 02:07 PM
I almost got a RF for a 2nd trike to keep at the IL's this weekend, but boy, it tipped WAY too easily for my comfort. There are ALWAYS nice kettlers coming up on our CL. You just have to be on the lookout and quick to get them.

citymama
05-06-2009, 02:36 PM
I almost got a RF for a 2nd trike to keep at the IL's this weekend, but boy, it tipped WAY too easily for my comfort. There are ALWAYS nice kettlers coming up on our CL. You just have to be on the lookout and quick to get them.

:yeahthat: I looked at RF and passed b/c of tippiness. Got a Kettler Jumbo used on CL for $50 - but if I had to do it again, would have done the Blossom or Junior b/c the high-end Kettlers are just too heavy for toddlers and preschoolers to get around easily. The basic Kettlers are ideal in terms of weight, and price, IMO.

Nooknookmom
05-06-2009, 04:01 PM
I've been debating this issue since April. Do I get a Kettler basic model (Junior or Blossom) or the Oceana (w/ locking front wheel)? I don't want to spend a fortune either. However, I am afraid w/out the locking front wheel we'll go all over the road if I have to use the pushbar. I have been searching CL every day. Try looking there as well as online. I looked at the RF's and my DD is SO rough on everything, I am afraid she'll break it.

THEN I had another idea, after yet another road trip to test the Kettlers. DD has no interest in using the pedals yet and only wants to push the trike, I may go the balance bike route. If she digs it. Because I don't want to spend $$ on a trike that will sit.

I want to get something that will get good use!

KrisM
05-06-2009, 04:13 PM
We have a Kettler that I got for $5 at a mom2mom sale. No pushbar. We have a Little Tikes plastic ride-in car with a pushbar for when I need to push a kid around. It was $5 at a garage sale.

sste
05-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Is the "junior" you are all rec'ing?

http://www.amazon.com/Kettler-Kettrike-Junior-Tricycle-Pushbar/dp/B001PO1OFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1241663705&sr=8-1

Does it "freewheel?" I am primarily looking for something I can push my son around our n'hood using the pushbar.

SnuggleBuggles
05-06-2009, 10:51 PM
After all the obsessing I did when researching on here, I wound up getting a tricycle at a local bike shop that was fine. It was a Raleigh brand, I think. What I have decided though is that it was too $$ and in hindsight a trike from TRU or Target for $50 would have been just fine. Even better would have been one of those Big Wheels. :) Super fun!

Beth

Nooknookmom
05-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Is the "junior" you are all rec'ing?

http://www.amazon.com/Kettler-Kettrike-Junior-Tricycle-Pushbar/dp/B001PO1OFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1241663705&sr=8-1

Does it "freewheel?" I am primarily looking for something I can push my son around our n'hood using the pushbar.

Junior doesn't freewheel, which is why I don't think it is for us. DD's feet kept flopping around when I tried to push her on it in the store. Here's a link to a table someone posted for me detailing all the different models :)

http://www.maukilo.com/kettrikecomparison.html

mommylamb
05-07-2009, 11:23 AM
I think I'm still leaning towards that Kettler classic flyer foldable trike. It's $50 on amazon (and actually, you can buy it directly from baby age, which is where Amazon would get it anyway, and baby age is a Upromise site, so college $). I wish I could see it in person first though. Does anyone know which stores have kettlers? I didn't see them at our TRU and buy buy baby doesn't have bikes.

WatchingThemGrow
05-07-2009, 01:35 PM
our bike store has kettlers as does Learning Express.