PDA

View Full Version : Would you replace an old appliance when selling a house?

arivecchi
05-06-2009, 01:03 PM
I want to replace an old built-in microwave/oven that we have in our kitchen. All of our appliances are really nice and ss except for this old one. It sticks out like a sore thumb. It would cost about $2,300 to replace it. DH thinks that is too much money and we will not be able to do other fix-ups. Plus, he also doesn't want to spend another 2 grand on an appliance when we are certain we are losing a big chunk of equity. What do you think? We are in an upscale neighborhood where we are mostly competing with homes with new kitchens.

elliput
05-06-2009, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't replace it, but would probably consider having some wiggle room in the selling price for an appliance allowance if a potential buyer asked. This way you don't have to worry about it now and a buyer would get the appliance they want.

katerinasmom
05-06-2009, 01:12 PM
I would not spend $2300 to replace a micro that we would be leaving behind. From a buyer's perspective, if the rest of your kitchen looked nice and upgraded I probably wouldn't give the micro more than a passing thought. You'd be better off spending the $2300 painting, steamcleaning carpets, etc.

o_mom
05-06-2009, 01:22 PM
That seems high for a microwave. Is there something special about it? I would see what the cheapest name brand unit you could get away with would cost. We put a microwave/hood in our house before selling and spent about $300-400 on it. If we would have been staying I problaby would have gone with something much higher, but it was a name brand (LG) and new so that was really all that mattered.

egoldber
05-06-2009, 01:24 PM
I think she means a microwave combination with an oven, common in many older homes. I had one pretty identical to what she means in an older house in CA.

If it is functional, I would not replace it. I would give a $1000 allowance for replacement.

ha98ed14
05-06-2009, 02:07 PM
I think she means a microwave combination with an oven, common in many older homes. I had one pretty identical to what she means in an older house in CA.

If it is functional, I would not replace it. I would give a $1000 allowance for replacement.

Beth, I didn't know you lived in CA once upon a time... What do you like better for having a fam: DC or SD?

SnuggleBuggles
05-06-2009, 02:14 PM
I would only replace it if you get repeated negative feedback about it and you really need to sell.

Beth

egoldber
05-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Beth, I didn't know you lived in CA once upon a time... What do you like better for having a fam: DC or SD?

Well, we lived in Silicon Valley, and we both had jobs and no kids. So it was a very different experience. We loved it there, but I think it would just be too hard to live that life with kids. It's crazy here, but not as bad as there.....

BargainMomforLuke
05-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Are there a lot of homes on the market that you will be competing against? If you answer yes & they all have top-notch kitchens, then I wouldn't think twice about it. Since so many people cannot see past stuff like that, they might choose another house for more money or offer you quite a bit less because things aren't perfect for them. It's a tough decision, especially with the market being what it is. Essentially, it sounds like it's $2,300 you will basically be flushing down the toilet.

arivecchi
05-06-2009, 03:09 PM
This the kind of appliance I'd need to get.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=100593755

Most homes in the area probably have remodeled kitchens.

SnuggleBuggles
05-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Do you have a remodeled kitchen? If not, I wouldn't worry about it but I would price them home accordingly (less since your kitchen isn't done).

Anything crafty you could do like they do on those home staging shows like adhere some stainless finish or something?

Beth

arivecchi
05-06-2009, 03:18 PM
We have updated appliances, but the kitchen is not fully remodeled. It does not look totally outdated, but it could definitely use a total overhaul in the near future.

boltfam
05-06-2009, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't replace it. As others have said, I would just give them an allowance in the price of the house. That way, you're not buying something you'll never get to use and the buyers can pick out what they want.

Kungjo
05-06-2009, 07:07 PM
In this economy, you wouldn't get the $2,300 back that you spent on it. If you're just putting it on the market, I would leave as is and see what the buyers think. Some would be more happy with an allowance or wiggle room in the price. If it still works, I wouldn't replace it.

vonfirmath
05-07-2009, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't. A microwave would not be worth $2300 in the price of the house to me as a buyer.

(And if I were going to remodel, I would not want a combination oven/microwave. They are a pain to replace. I'd want a one-function item and then use my handy-dandy, max $200 microwave on the counter)