PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for toy donations?

Ceepa
05-06-2009, 02:36 PM
I've been spring cleaning through long outgrown items from DC. Small stuffed animals went to the police department; clothes, diapers, toiletries went to the women's shelter; DVDs to the library. I don't have the energy or inclination to sell the toys. What should I do with them?

I'd rather think of something other than Goodwill or Salvation Army.

jgenie
05-06-2009, 02:44 PM
We have two churches nearby that have huge rummage sales every year. They accept donations year round so they get everything I get rid of. They use the proceeds to help people in the local area. Maybe you can find something similar close to you.

Momof3Labs
05-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Our library has a few toys for the kids - wooden puzzles, bead mazes, etc. Park district? Church nursery? What kind of toys are you getting rid of?

SnuggleBuggles
05-06-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't go to church but my ILs are active at their church so I have given them most of the toys and gear for the nursery there. It seems to go over well.

Beth

ett
05-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Do you know anyone that's expecting?

belovedgandp
05-06-2009, 03:46 PM
I'd ask around about a rummage sale. I know a lot of groups do them as special fundraisers. I'm sure they'd love the items. I've been hit up by friends for sales this spring benefiting - ice skating teams, girl scouts, and emergency shelter. They know I'm always purging. I'd never take the time to collect them and have my own sale.

kransden
05-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Women's shelters or group homes often want that stuff too.

Ceepa
05-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Good suggestions. My library has all the toys they have room for, my neighbor is expecting but she's not the type to accept "used toys" (um, yeah). I'll check out the church nursery and see if they could use some infant toys.