PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a double?

2pineapplesfornow
05-06-2009, 02:52 PM
A little over a year ago I was on the hunt for a new stroller for my daughter. She would be 1 in July and I currently had a Graco travel system that I hated. I contacted StrollerQueen - who is quite honestly the best and put up with a million emails from me and I picked a stroller. Right before purchasing I find out I'm pregnant again and decide to not drop a million bucks on a new stroller quite yet. We bought an umbrella instead to tide us over (the Inglesina Swift). Now the new princess is here and I have a dilema. Should I go for a double stroller? Stick with a single and make the girls take turns when the oldest is tired? She'll be 2 in July, newbie is 4 months. We don't do a ton of strolling - just to the neighborhood park, mall/stores, no jogging. Right now we either bring 2 strollers (the Graco for the baby - she hates staying in the car seat though and was not a fan of the stroller on its own either, and the Swift for the oldest - which has gotten hard to maneuver) or I bring one stroller and wear the baby in a carrier. I want a new stroller, but I'm just not quite sure whether I want a double or just get a single and alternate between the oldest walking and the baby in the carrier. Suggestions?

spj123
05-06-2009, 05:45 PM
With them so close in age I think the double is a good idea, but of course I'm on here right now b/c I'm researching double strollers :) so we will be going that route. Really I don't even use the stroller now w/DS very often, and w/two babies maybe I'll be leaving the house even less, but I just want it as an option for those times it's a necessity. I love babywearing and have several carriers too, but still there are times now and I think there will be still w/two children, where I really want or need them both restrained.. GL w/your decision! :)

edurnemk
05-06-2009, 07:42 PM
How about a single that converts to a double, like the Phil & Teds, or the UPPAbaby Vista with the new rumble seat. Or a stroller that takes a toddler seat, like the Valco.
Or even a stroller with a buggy board, for the oldest to stand on.
Mine will be about 26 months apart and I have the Vista, but I'm considering getting something like the Baby Jogger City Mini for trips to the mall and air travel. I hear good things about the Maclaren Twin, too.

2pineapplesfornow
05-06-2009, 08:40 PM
excuse the lack of caps - i'm typing one-handed.

i like the price of the BJ city mini duo. i love the look of the bumbleride indie twin. anyone have experience with either?

Wife_and_mommy
05-06-2009, 08:58 PM
I just want it as an option for those times it's a necessity. I love babywearing and have several carriers too, but still there are times now and I think there will be still w/two children, where I really want or need them both restrained.

This in a nutshell. You will rue the day you decided against a double in those moments when you need them both restrained. I didn't get mine until #2 was 6m. Once #2 goes mobile, outings get harder. Not having somewhere to put both when the need arises (and it will) will be very difficult.

Congratulations!

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2009, 09:56 PM
yes, that close, you'll want a double . i love our BJCED, but I also got a BJCMD just because I couldn't lift the double safely while pg. I like the Elite better for walking outside to the park and such, but the Mini will do for errands.

I couldn't imagine going anywhere for any length of time with both kids and only having a single. Someone always ends up needing to be carried, then you're stuck pushing the stroller, carrying your bags AND carrying a kid. no fun.

arivecchi
05-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I agree with pp that you might need one. Two-year olds get tired easily and will then want to be carried if the infant if using the stroller. I got a BJCCD and love it. Decided against a toddler seat (I have a Valco Trimode) because DS1 is very tall and would not have been comfortable. I also got the hitch hiker for my toddler (29 months) and have not been able to make him use it just yet. The double is great and both kids are comfy, restrained and safe. As a bonus, my toddler loves riding around with his little brother!

arivecchi
05-07-2009, 11:04 AM
I found some deals on Baby Jogger doubles for you in case you are interested.

http://www.stroller.com/baby-jogger-city-elite-double-all-terrain-stroller-brown-tan.html

http://shop.happymothers.com/Baby%20Jogger/Double%20Stroller/shop/prd_BJ69060_Baby%20Jogger_City%20Classic%20Double% 20Jogging%20Stroller%20in%20Black.html?ref=froogle _BJ69060&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=shopengfree&utm_term=Baby%20Jogger&utm_content=Double%20Stroller&utm_campaign=froogle_BJ69060

http://app.infopia.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/32453/vpid/6123651/vpcsid/8755487/rid/126480

2pineapplesfornow
05-07-2009, 11:04 AM
So I think you guys have convinced me I need a double. I've heard a lot about the BJCED and BJCMD. What about Mountain Buggy?

I'm really indecisive so I'm looking for lots of opinions and lots of options. Unfortunetly I can't test any of these myself because we don't have a big stroller place anywhere nearby. We just have BRU and their in store selection is horrible.

arivecchi
05-07-2009, 11:09 AM
So I think you guys have convinced me I need a double. I've heard a lot about the BJCED and BJCMD. What about Mountain Buggy?

I'm really indecisive so I'm looking for lots of opinions and lots of options. Unfortunetly I can't test any of these myself because we don't have a big stroller place anywhere nearby. We just have BRU and their in store selection is horrible. The MBUD is a great stroller. Super strong and light to push. The only drawbacks are: super pricey (unless you find a good deal on CL) and the canopy is skimpy.

WatchingThemGrow
05-07-2009, 11:10 AM
I chose the BJCED over the MBUD because of the better canopies and more features for less $$. The MBs are nice, but I really like my BJ. You can get a taste of the BJCED and CCD by looking at the BJCMini they're now stocking in many BRU stores. Check yours. I just saw one in mine for the first time last week! I also tried out the BJCS when we were on vacation and it was an extra hour of driving to a specialty baby store to try it out. Buying something on recommendation only is hard.

arivecchi
05-07-2009, 11:15 AM
I agree with WTG. Baby Joggers just seem like a better value to me. Here's my review of my BJCCD in case that is helpful.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=323024

2pineapplesfornow
05-07-2009, 11:15 AM
I'll have to check out our BRU. And maybe one of our outdoor specialty stores or bike stores carries Baby Joggers...I'll have to call around.

2pineapplesfornow
05-07-2009, 11:16 AM
I agree with WTG. Baby Joggers just seem like a better value to me. Here's my review of my BJCCD in case that is helpful.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=323024

What's the difference between the CC and the CE other than the look of the canopy? TIA.

arivecchi
05-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Here's a comparison chart.

http://www.babyjogger.com/PDFs/Comparison_chart.pdf

I think the Elite has wider tires, round (as opposed to more squarish) canopies and some nicer finishes overall. WTG can fill you in on her BJCED. She's the resident BJ expert! Having said that, the BJCCD is super nice IMO. I love it and got it for a super price, so I am very happy.

arivecchi
05-07-2009, 11:36 AM
I'll have to check out our BRU. And maybe one of our outdoor specialty stores or bike stores carries Baby Joggers...I'll have to call around.
Maybe this will help. Good luck!

http://www.babyjogger.com/USRetailLocator.aspx

2pineapplesfornow
05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks for that link - we've got nothing close by. Oh well.

How about the differences between the 08 and 09 models, other than looks? I see a bunch of 08 models on sale online.

arivecchi
05-07-2009, 12:14 PM
You can call Baby Jogger and ask. Not sure what the differences are. I have the 08 model and got it for $375 (as opposed to the $600 that it would cost to get the 09).

WatchingThemGrow
05-07-2009, 01:31 PM
trying to remember all the differences -they're listed in some thread...
Elite - extendable leg rests for little ones (also gives you access to the basket!), 12 pocket parent console, maybe more windows/vents in the hood?, is the handlebar adjustable on the classic??

08-09 - on the double - a different wheel and a different internal wheel mechanism (mine had to be exchanged for that old part which was messing up), different colors, both models have suspension. the single 08 did not for some reason.

2pineapplesfornow
05-07-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm thinking the BJCED is what is going to suit my needs the best. I like the BJCM but I want the air filled tires. I think I'm going to check out BRU this afternoon to see a BJ IRL (hoping they have the mini in store) and if I like it I'll work on convincing the hubs that the $650 on the BJCED is worth it. I hate lugging around 2 strollers.

WatchingThemGrow
05-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm thinking the BJCED is what is going to suit my needs the best. I like the BJCM but I want the air filled tires. I think I'm going to check out BRU this afternoon to see a BJ IRL (hoping they have the mini in store) and if I like it I'll work on convincing the hubs that the $650 on the BJCED is worth it. I hate lugging around 2 strollers.

don't pay full price- ever!!! We can help you find one for less. Right now, the REI 20%off coupon is the best deal around if you have it shipped to your local store- or one you can get to reasonably...

strollerqueen
05-07-2009, 03:02 PM
LOL, too true! In most cases, anyway... ;)

2pineapplesfornow
05-07-2009, 03:23 PM
I believe the closest REI is about an hour or an hour and a half away which is doable.

arivecchi
05-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Here's a BJCED for $450.

http://www.stroller.com/baby-jogger-city-elite-double-all-terrain-stroller-brown-tan.html

arivecchi
05-07-2009, 03:26 PM
trying to remember all the differences -they're listed in some thread...
Elite - extendable leg rests for little ones (also gives you access to the basket!), 12 pocket parent console, maybe more windows/vents in the hood?, is the handlebar adjustable on the classic??

08-09 - on the double - a different wheel and a different internal wheel mechanism (mine had to be exchanged for that old part which was messing up), different colors, both models have suspension. the single 08 did not for some reason. THE BJCCD does have an adjustable handlebar. It does not come with the console, so I had to purchase that separately.

arivecchi
05-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Here's a cheaper one! $419.

http://shop.sndkids.com/browse.cfm/4,657.html

2pineapplesfornow
05-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Here's a BJCED for $450.

out of stock...

and the girl in me does not fancy the brown, lol.

I'm thinking I like the 2009 model better just because I really like the color choices. Although the 2008 in all black isn't too shabby.

WatchingThemGrow
05-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Although the 2008 in all black isn't too shabby.

That's what I have :) The newer black one looks similar, it just has polymer wheels instead of metal.

2pineapplesfornow
05-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Went to BRU yesterday - no BJCM. :cry:

So yeah, looks like I have to purchase blindly. But I'm fairly confident that the BJCED is the one for us. Now I just have to convince the hubs.

Oh and I emailed BJ and asked the difference between the 08 and 09 BJCED models and I'm waiting to hear back. If there's not too much difference then I'll buy an 08 all black one. Otherwise I'll go with the 09 and get a stylish color like red or green or stone.

Thanks for everyone's help!

WatchingThemGrow
05-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Oh and I emailed BJ and asked the difference between the 08 and 09 BJCED models and I'm waiting to hear back. If there's not too much difference then I'll buy an 08 all black one. Otherwise I'll go with the 09 and get a stylish color like red or green or stone.

I'd call too, since it is Friday and you might not get an answer for a few days.

brismom
05-08-2009, 02:18 PM
BJ is pretty quick at replying back. Let us know what they tell you, I am curious now. We are probably going to get one after DC#2 is born in July I have narrowed it down to a BJCED but hadn't thought about the 08 vs. 09, a local store tried to tell me that there was no difference and that is why the prices didn't change

ahrimie
05-08-2009, 02:33 PM
I found some deals on Baby Jogger doubles for you in case you are interested.

http://shop.happymothers.com/Baby%20Jogger/Double%20Stroller/shop/prd_BJ69060_Baby%20Jogger_City%20Classic%20Double% 20Jogging%20Stroller%20in%20Black.html?ref=froogle _BJ69060&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=shopengfree&utm_term=Baby%20Jogger&utm_content=Double%20Stroller&utm_campaign=froogle_BJ69060

http://app.infopia.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/32453/vpid/6123651/vpcsid/8755487/rid/126480

Speaking of Baby Jogger and doubles... I just saw that Baby Jogger makes a "jump seat". Looks like the same idea as a Phil & Teds where you just add on another seat when you need it. It's $100 (at buy buy baby) but you put it in the front and not the back. I thought it looked pretty cool!

WatchingThemGrow
05-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Lemme think, I did know the 08/09 differences last month...

-wheel material changed from metal to polymer
-colors changed
-wheel mechanism - the part INSIDE the front plastic cover changed from a metal part to a polymer part. Most don't know about this part, but since my frame had to be replaced b/c it was making a weird noise, I do know about it.

on the single, suspension was added for 09

I really do think that is all.

mamaoftwins
05-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Lemme think, I did know the 08/09 differences last month...

-wheel material changed from metal to polymer
-colors changed
-wheel mechanism - the part INSIDE the front plastic cover changed from a metal part to a polymer part. Most don't know about this part, but since my frame had to be replaced b/c it was making a weird noise, I do know about it.

on the single, suspension was added for 09

I really do think that is all.

You are correct! I called BJ a few wks ago to ask them the very same question, and the above is what they told me. :)

arivecchi
05-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Went to BRU yesterday - no BJCM. :cry:

So yeah, looks like I have to purchase blindly. But I'm fairly confident that the BJCED is the one for us. Now I just have to convince the hubs.

Thanks for everyone's help! Let us know when you decide to get it! I also purchased my BJCCD blindly based on feedback from this board and I am so pleased. It is my entire family's fave stroller now (even my DH loves it and he usually could not care less about this type of thing)! GL! P.S. Love the look of the stone one.

WatchingThemGrow
05-08-2009, 06:12 PM
You are correct! I called BJ a few wks ago to ask them the very same question, and the above is what they told me. :)

:yay: there may be brain cells alive still??? :yay: won't likely stay that way after the next year of having 3 DC 36 mos and under, will it?

2pineapplesfornow
05-11-2009, 02:38 PM
They haven't responded back to my email. And I haven't made any final decisions on what I want because I need to get the hubby on board. He doesn't realize that you get what you pay for with strollers.

arivecchi
05-11-2009, 02:47 PM
They haven't responded back to my email. And I haven't made any final decisions on what I want because I need to get the hubby on board. He doesn't realize that you get what you pay for with strollers. If your DH is concerned about price, I'd just get the 08 model on sale. You will be happy with it and he won't feel like it is a huge waste of money. Did you mention that you can re-sell good strollers on CL? I bought a cheap In-Step double first and while it was decent, I could immediately see the deficiencies it had, unlike my other strollers. I was not satisfied with it from the get-go and ended up selling it at a discount and then getting the BJJCD.

2pineapplesfornow
05-11-2009, 03:12 PM
If your DH is concerned about price, I'd just get the 08 model on sale. You will be happy with it and he won't feel like it is a huge waste of money. Did you mention that you can re-sell good strollers on CL? I bought a cheap In-Step double first and while it was decent, I could immediately see the deficiencies it had, unlike my other strollers. I was not satisfied with it from the get-go and ended up selling it at a discount and then getting the BJJCD.

Yeah I mentioned to him that this will last us awhile and it would have better re-sale value than a cheapo double. I just need to butter him up and convince him that we NEED it and it's not just something I want. :wink2: