PDA

View Full Version : Found a lost baby bunny at my doorstep- WWYD?

daisyd
05-06-2009, 05:24 PM
I found this totally adorable little ball of fur wedged in the corner practically at my doorstep. Its been sitting there motionless since afternoon and I'm concerned now that it does not know its way back and it must be hungry and terrified. Not sure what to feed it -I left some carrot near by. Don't feel good about leaving it there overnight, but what if its mama comes by...WWYD?

Thanks

DietCokeLover
05-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Call your local animal shelter/ humane society and ask what they would recommend.

Ceepa
05-06-2009, 05:48 PM
As pp said, call a local animal hospital or the shelter. They may have a number for a wildlife rehabber who could better advise you.

daisyd
05-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks all, off to do that!

Gena
05-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Baby bunnies usually leave the nest during the day to explore the world and return to the nest at night to nurse. We've had several babies in our yard the past few weeks.

About a week ago we had a sad incident with a baby bunny. One got into our garage when the door was opened and got locked in. We weren't in the garage for several days, so by the time we found the little guy it was nearly dead. I gave it some water with a medicine dropper. But the poor little thing was just too bad off and didn't make it. :(

So my suggestion is to leave it where it is and just keep checking on it until nightfall. It may go back to the nest. And make sure all the doors to your house, garage, shed, etc. are firmly closed.

pinkmomagain
05-06-2009, 07:31 PM
I've seen the bunnies by us eating the clovers growing in our lawns. My dd2 had a sad incident with a baby bunny that didn't survive in her school yard. Hope yours finds it way home and/or you get good advice from the animal shelter.

srhs
05-06-2009, 08:36 PM
We took care of some once when we knew mama bunny was no longer around. We fed them from an eyedropper. They were the darndest escape artists EVER...TALL box with chicken wire over top weighed down by bricks...still had to find them after every night and every trip out.

lizajane
05-06-2009, 09:47 PM
if it is still there in the am, take it to the animal shelter.

last year, i rescued a baby bunny who was IN MY DOG'S MOUTH. ack!!! schuyler and i got the bunny out and then held the dog while he escaped. the dog found the rest of the babies and we had to grab another one before the dog got it. i let schuyler hold it, we took a photo and then let it go in the front yard away from the dog. it hopped off (it was a little bigger than a newborn bunny-i think was eating grass at this point) and we never saw it again. so i assume it was totally fine! especially since we have THREE adult bunnies living in the yard this year! now that we have a rabbit fence around the garden, i love catching sight of the bunnies in the yard!

BabyMine
05-06-2009, 09:49 PM
We had a mother drop off her bunnies at our front door and never came back. We fed them the milk for kittens with an eye dropper.

daisyd
05-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks all of you for your suggestions. I called the shelter and they told me what Gena said almost word for word. Its a shelter for cats and dogs and I was not sure if they could help but the lady at the shelter was awesome. She told me that if it was out of the burrow, it did not nurse any more and so milk was not necessary. She also cautioned me not to handle it as bunnies are very timid and might die of heart attack. She said to just leave it be and that it would hop away when it got dark.

I love animals, but what I feel now towards baby animals now as a mommy is so much stronger, I am surprised to find.

So happy ending, baby bunny has hopped away into the woods overnight.

citymama
05-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks all of you for your suggestions. I called the shelter and they told me what Gena said almost word for word. Its a shelter for cats and dogs and I was not sure if they could help but the lady at the shelter was awesome. She told me that if it was out of the burrow, it did not nurse any more and so milk was not necessary. She also cautioned me not to handle it as bunnies are very timid and might die of heart attack. She said to just leave it be and that it would hop away when it got dark.

I love animals, but what I feel now towards baby animals now as a mommy is so much stronger, I am surprised to find.

So happy ending, baby bunny has hopped away into the woods overnight.

Hurray for happy endings!

cdlamis
05-07-2009, 01:14 PM
[quote=daisyd;2367428]
/quote]

SO true! I couldn't help but think of your baby bunny story all night and hoped it was ok. I once cried seeing a baby cow that was nursing in a field! :)