PDA

View Full Version : I need to buy 3 new car seats fast HELP!!!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
05-06-2009, 06:13 PM
I posted this here instead of the car seat forum because I have to buy them as soon as possible. We were rear-ended on monday(see my thread in the bitching post). The guy who hit us is with state farm and they're willing to pay for all new car seats :jammin:. So now I have to buy them and send them the reciepts and they'll reimburse us. They're saying they have to be of "like" quality so I guess they don't want us to replace a graco with a britax at their expense.

But he said I can upgrade if I want to pay the differance and they'll just pay what a new graco would ordinarily cost. I have to replace dd's booster seat. She weighs 53 pounds and is 49 inches tall and is 6 and a half years old. Ds is 3 and a half and weighs somewhere around 30 lbs. give or take. I'm not sure of his height right now but he fits perfectly in 3T pants and would not fit well in a booster at this point. DD2 is 3 months old and weighs 13lbs.

I'm thinking I'll replace dd1's booster with another graco booster and dd2's graco snugride with the latest snugride model but am wondering if a safeseat would be a better deal and last longer? The big wild card is ds's seat.

Should I fork out the extra $$ to buy a britax or would a graco nautilis be just a good a purchase? If I buy a britax it last forever and i'm thinking I should get the model that has the higher weight limit.

OR should I get him something besides a nautilis or britax? Is there something out there on the market that I'm not aware of? Also- we went to target once and I put ds in a (marathon I think) and his shoulders seemed really broad for it while the naut. seemed to have enough room for him to be comfortable.

But see here I am thinking about dd2's seat and wondering if an infant seat is the right way to go as well. Would she be as safe in a rear facing convertible at this age as she would an infant seat? My first thought is that no she wouldn't and I should get the infant seat. Am I right to trust my gut on this one?

HELP!!!!

bubbaray
05-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Can you PM Jools? I don't think she comes to the Lounge much -- at least x-post in car seats.

I would definitely NOT get another infant seat, I moved DD#1 at 4m and DD#2 at 2m.

If it fits in your vehicle (the seat bottom must be 100% on the vehicle seat), the Nautilus is a nice seat for your DS. It d/n have as long an expiry as the Frontier, but the Frontier has other install issues IIRC. I'm 99% sure they have the same weight limits in the US (I'm in Canada).

What about a Monterey for your DD#1?

it would help if you posted your vehicle too.

KrisM
05-06-2009, 06:29 PM
If you need the convenience of the infant seat, I'd get the Safeseat to get it to last longer (do you have preschool drop off, for example). Otherwise, I might skip the infant seat.

If you get an infant seat, you'll eventually need the convertible, so if you buy #2 a nautilus, you'll have to then buy a convertible. But, if you get him a convertible now, you'll have to buy a nautilus or something (likely) down the road so you can hand that down.

Not sure what I'd really do. I'm a big help, huh?

I would cross-post in car seats so that Jools sees it too.

JBaxter
05-06-2009, 07:00 PM
I would do the SafeSeat ( or snugride32 what ever the name is) A nautilis and a booster.
I would cross post in the carseat forum you will get plenty of responses.

mom2binsd
05-06-2009, 07:33 PM
At this point I'd get something like Britax MA for the little one, it'll last until the baby is 5 or 6 (they're about 200 or less right now, esp check travelingtikes.com).

I'd go for either the Graco Nautilus or the Frontier, I think the Frontier will get your middle one harnessed longer though and the booster portion is good for 9 years.

I'd also look at the Monterey or another decent booster for the older on.

graciebellesmomma
05-06-2009, 09:20 PM
My 6.5 yr old is 50 pounds and 50 inches and we got the Sunshine Radian for her. I wish we had bought it in the very beginning and not gone through 3 Britax!

Piglet
05-06-2009, 09:27 PM
I agree with Jeana - the Safeseat lasted my very tall very heavy DD until she was 14 months old. It was a great seat! Then I would buy the Nautlius and a booster. All three would be "equivalent" Graco seats to your current line-up so it won't cost anything to upgrade. You will need another seat for you DD2 in a year+ but you would have needed to buy it anyway had you not been in an accident, so it isn't something I would worry about right now.

Momof3Labs
05-06-2009, 09:27 PM
At 50" tall, I wouldn't get a Radian unless the intention is to pass it down to a sibling the next year. Not enough room for growth - DS1 outgrew the Radian shortly after that (and he is quite tall for his age but pretty leggy), maybe around 52" or so. It is an idea, however, for the 3yo, just won't last as long as a Nautilus or Frontier, but could be passed down to the baby when she is older.

gatorsmom
05-06-2009, 10:05 PM
I agree with Mom2binsd (Beth). I'd get a Marathon for the baby which should last her for the next 6 years, the Frontier for your son so he'd never need another seat, and a good booster for DD1. Then, if I'm calculating this right, you'll only need a booster for DD2 unless there is still some life left in the Frontier when she's ready for it.

I'm soooo sorry about your accident. I guess the silver lining here is you are getting new seats. :duck:

bubbaray
05-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Yes, I'd get a MA for your baby, FR or GN for middle child and Monterey (or possibly the Turbobooster) for oldest child.

Tondi G
05-07-2009, 01:33 AM
I'd move your little one into a Britax Marathon and ditch the infant seat. It will last her a full 6 years and there is nothing wrong with keeping the infant seat in the back of your car and taking it in with you if you need somewhere to put your little one down and the stroller isn't an option (thinking restaurants etc). As long as you aren't using it in the car as a restraint it's ok to still use it as a carrier. Then destroy it when you are done with it!

I would get the oldest which ever booster works best for her and a Nautilus for your middle child!

WatchingThemGrow
05-07-2009, 09:56 AM
I'd only get another infant seat if you use it A LOT for pickups/drop off and will continue to for the better part of a year. If you plan on having more DC and will use it for another, that would be another reason to get another infant seat.

mommylamb
05-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Just wanted to chime in here in support of the Radian 65 for your DS. It's cheaper than the Britax and safety ratings are great. Jules always recommends it on the car seat page. but only get it if you have latch becuase it is a B*tch to install forward facing with just the seatbelt.