PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Question

Binkandabee
05-06-2009, 06:20 PM
I posted a wanted ad for a Rainforest Highchair and a Radio Flyer walk behind wagon on Craigslist.

I got an email (sent via a cell phone) that states exactly this:

Have both items u are wanting. U can call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX (they listed their number)

This seems odd to me? I don't know what I expected as a reply, but this just seems odd. Has anyone had a bad experience when they posted a want ad? I'm just not sure what to do here. Do I call?

wellyes
05-06-2009, 06:24 PM
I think it's fine. Call and ask that they email you photos of the items. Do ask a lot of questions before going to their house, or better yet meet in a public place. But that's true of anything on Craigslist.

cdlamis
05-06-2009, 06:45 PM
It seems very vague to me. Especially since they said "have both items" as opposed to stating the specific item such as "have both the highchair and Flyer...".

Someone once emailed me saying they were "interested in the item you are selling". I wasn't even selling on CL at that time, emailed them back for clarification and never heard anything and figured it was a scam.

I could be totally wrong in your case- I hope so!

TwinFoxes
05-06-2009, 06:57 PM
It seems very vague to me. Especially since they said "have both items" as opposed to stating the specific item such as "have both the highchair and Flyer...".

I agree it sounds vague. If it were me, I'd call because it could be legit, but I'd be on especially high alert that it might be a scam. Have you tried googling the telephone number? You never know what might turn up.

kijip
05-06-2009, 07:03 PM
I am a craigslist bigot. I never do transactions, buying or selling, with people that use "u" and don't opt to write in 1/2 way complete sentences, with details and pictures (from sellers). Honestly unless your craigslist is dead and you are getting no other responses/see no ads for the items you want, I would ignore this person.

TwinFoxes
05-06-2009, 07:07 PM
I am a craigslist bigot. I never do transactions, buying or selling, with people that use "u" and don't opt to write in 1/2 way complete sentences

I burst out laughing at this! Too funny ;)

graciebellesmomma
05-06-2009, 09:31 PM
I'd just send back and email and see what they are talking about.

I am sort of a bigot, too. Less of one now that a lot of my
friends have iphones and use "text-talk". It bugs the fark out
of me, but I get it. I just never expected my 40-something friends
to be texting and slanging!

Binkandabee
05-07-2009, 11:12 AM
If I was replying to a wanted ad, I'd say something along the lines of this:

I have the XXXXX you are looking for. I'm asking XXX dollars for it. If you're interested let me know!

I did decide to call on this from my office phone (in case they were trying to get cell phone #'s for some reason?) My office phone is in the yellow pages (full page ad) so anybody that wants it can get it. It turns out they did have the highchair but not the walk behind wagon. They were asking way too much for the highchair, though, so I'm heading to a consignment sale tonight to hopefully find one!

It's still fishy to me, so I won't be going any farther with this person.

Thanks!

smiles33
05-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I think it's wise to err on the side of caution. I just heard on the radio this morning how another couple got held up at gunpoint when they went to see a car advertised on Craigslist. One guy has already been shot when he went to look at a car, and this morning's report said the couple managed to drive off uninjured....Scary!

Binkandabee
05-07-2009, 06:39 PM
There's something to be said about intuition. I'm listening to mine this time!