PDA

View Full Version : Rec'd door prize of new Avent bottles but not sure if BPA free

smiles33
05-06-2009, 06:28 PM
I went to my local mom's club meeting last night and gwon the door prize: a BRU gift bag with 9 Avent bottles, some sample Pampers Swaddlers, a bib, etc. The thing is, the Avent bottles are not boxed, just thrown in the tote but each one has a paper insert about the Avent bottle and they're obviously new.

I was going to go buy the new BPA free bottles anyway, as my DD's Avents are 3 years old and definitely the old version. Can I assume these are BPA free if BRU just donated them? I went on the Avent site and didn't see any info about whether they still sell the BPA bottles....It says their BPA FAQ is still under construction!

Help!

malphy
05-06-2009, 06:57 PM
The new bpa free avent bottles have a yellowish tint to them.

I didnt realize that at first and when i opened the box I thought something was wrong with them.

hth

kijip
05-06-2009, 07:04 PM
The new bpa free avent bottles have a yellowish tint to them.

I didnt realize that at first and when i opened the box I thought something was wrong with them.

hth
:yeahthat:

If they are very clear plastic/look exactly like your old ones then they have BPA in them.

smiles33
05-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Darn. They are clear. So why is BRU donating this as a door prize? Were they just clearing out old inventory? Does Avent still make them with BPA? Is anyone using BPA bottles these days?

I'm so disappointed, as I was hoping they were the BPA free ones and would've saved me $50 or more. So now what do I do with them? I shouldn't donate them, because it's not fair to expose anyone's baby to BPA, right? Argh. I guess I should've picked one of the other door prizes when my name was called....

cdlamis
05-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Try returning them to BRU for an exchange. Last year, BRUs were accepting used Avent bottles in exchange for any instore BPA free bottles. I didn't find this out until early this year and my BRU still accepted them. I did hear that many BRUs are not doing this anymore though so you will have to call your store.
Sorry- that is a bummer!

poppy
05-06-2009, 09:25 PM
It is BPA free as long as it does not say Naturally on the bottle. Those are the old ones.

smiles33
05-06-2009, 10:07 PM
It is BPA free as long as it does not say Naturally on the bottle. Those are the old ones.

They all say Naturally on the bottles. Sigh. I didn't know about the BRU exchange until about 6 months ago and when I called my local BRU (probably the same store that donated these!), they said they're no longer doing the exchange.

So now what do I do with 9 brand new BPA bottles? If I always hand-washed them and never microwaved/heated them (other than in a cup of warm water, which is how breast milk has to be heated), would that be safe? Or is it just not worth the risk of BPA exposure?