PDA

View Full Version : Breech baby at 33 weeks...

Sugar Magnolia
05-07-2009, 10:51 AM
what are my chances he turns? He was head down for awhile, but has been breech most of this pregnancy. I am pretty sure he is a split breech as well - one leg down, the other up.

I have been reading spinning babies but was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience.

This pregnancy has seriously been one thing after another. Sigh.

Thanks!

srkaplan
05-07-2009, 11:20 AM
DD was breech until around 35 weeks & then she just flipped on her own. IIRC, the OB said that most will/do. Good luck!!

DebbieJ
05-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Go see a Chiroprator who will do the webster technique.

KpbS
05-07-2009, 11:43 AM
DS1 was breech until 35/36 weeks. I had pretty much decided that I wouldn't let my ob try external cephalic version--I was just too uncomfortable w/ the risks. He turned one day when I spent the evening with a friend who had a 1.5 mo old. I think all of his crying had something to do w/ it ;)

Sugar Magnolia
05-07-2009, 11:46 AM
I am also uncomfortable with a version. If I have to have a c-section, I would rather it not be an emergency.

Also I am not comfortable seeing a Chiropractor.

I am weird and have issues.

I will stick with yoga and try diving into the pool this weekend.

Tondi G
05-07-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't know how you feel about Acupuncture but I have 2 friends who's babies were breech and went in for Moxibustion and their babies turned! They burn an herb near your baby toe... something makes those babies move!

I went to my acupuncturist when I was approaching my due date and my OB was pushing for me to come in to be induced. It did the trick... I went in 2 times for treatment and when I got home after the second time I was in early labor!

Here is some info, you would of course go for the non burning/scarring treatment... http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/abc/moxibustion.php

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/healthy-living/pregnancy/common-complications/breech/moxibustion-acupuncture

http://www.birthinternational.com/articles/andrea13.html

momof2girls
05-07-2009, 12:13 PM
DD#1 was breach at 36 weeks. It was recommended that I try accupuncture (I was desperate but not so desperate that I would allow the OB to try to turn the baby herself). The accupuncturist told me he had a great rate of breech corrections (over 60%). However, it did not work for me and I ended up with a c-section. So, if ou are desperate, you can check out accupuncturists and ask what their correction rates are.

Sugar Magnolia
05-07-2009, 12:24 PM
We do have an acupuncturist here who I may try if he does not flip.
It seems like most flip, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

JTsMom
05-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Do you know about the flashlight trick too? http://pregnancychildbirth.suite101.com/article.cfm/turning_a_breech_baby (it's #6)

Someone on my ICAN local board recently did the flashlight thing, then a handstand in the pool, and the baby flipped and stayed head down.

Edensmum
05-07-2009, 12:29 PM
You've got time, I would not be worried yet, but I would likely sit on a ball more and do some of the other position things for getting babe in the right place.

citymama
05-07-2009, 12:54 PM
DD was breech at 33 weeks. I successfully used the "ironing board" method to get her to turn (after a few days of trying) - we didn't have an ironing board, so I stacked a bunch of pillows on the bed, lay down with my legs up in the air and read the NY Times! Within about 15-20 minutes, I felt this strange movement in my tummy - I didn't know for sure at the time, but at my next midwife appt, I was told that she had turned head down. Woo-hoo!

But not for long. Because she was so tiny, she seemed to have a lot of wiggle room. At 35 or 36 weeks (hazy memory of this) she turned again back to head up. I tried the legs in the air method, flashlight, talking to her, acupuncture - no luck. So I had a version - successfully. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't because it was a) uncomfortable and b) the whole thing freaked me out a little but the main reason I wish I hadn't is coz I ended up having to have a c/s anyway after many hrs of labor b/c she was transverse. Those feisty active babies stay that way! But I guess I might have regretted not even trying - who knows.

The OB who did my version was in his 60s, and said I was the first version he had performed who did not deliver vaginally, so I guess they have high succcess rates if done by the right person.

You should try the ironing board method if you are comfortable with it - at 33 weeks, you still have a good chance at getting the baby to turn using that non-intrusive method.

maestramommy
05-07-2009, 01:47 PM
At my 32 week appt (Mon) it seemed like my baby was transverse breech (sideways?). But the OB told me it also seemed like she was still moving around a lot, so there was time. I do remember with previous pregnancies the OB didn't say they were head down until about 36 weeks. But my babies aren't big, so I'm assuming there's still room for them to get into position.

ellies mom
05-07-2009, 01:54 PM
My youngest was breech until 37-38 weeks.

brittone2
05-07-2009, 02:02 PM
-Spinning Babies, which you already know
-Webster trained chiro (I'm a PT, and am not big on chiro overall for my own family, but I was comfortable w/ Webster technique). I used it as DD was posterior and I wanted to do everything I could to stack the deck for a more favorable presentation...maybe she would have turned on her own anyway, but it felt good to be proactive
-acupuncture, moxibustion (haven't tried but have read some success stories, and there are some smaller scale studies that I've come across).

I've also heard of the flashlight trick LOL.

link here that talks about Penny Simkin's tips (she's a physical therapist) among other ideas:
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/breechpresentation.html

graciebellesmomma
05-07-2009, 05:18 PM
My dd went breech at about 33 weeks. I knew that I did not want a c-section, if I could avoid it. I did the ironing board, the flashlight and neither worked. I did the diving into the pool and swimming for as long as I could tolerate, each day. It was the end of July, so I was spending lots of time in the pool. She flipped at 35 weeks and was born at 37 weeks!

My acupuncturist is two weeks overdue and just went in to have the moxibustion done on Tuesday. She had her baby yesterday!

JBaxter
05-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Jack was breech at 33 weeks he turned between 33 and 35 weeks. I wouldnt worry.