PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of making nightgowns for DD - anybody made one?

MommyAllison
05-07-2009, 01:18 PM
DD wants to wear nightgowns to bed every night, and I really don't care for the polyester Gymbo nightgown she has. I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard to make a nightgown, right? Has anybody made one before? I'm thinking a knit cotton for material, and both short sleeve and sleeveless versions. If anyone has any tips, or pattern suggestions, I'd be very appreciative. :) Thanks!

JTsMom
05-07-2009, 01:29 PM
I haven't down a nightgown, but I've done tons of pj's for DS and for DH and I. They are insanely easy and quick. I can't imagine a nightgown would be very hard, and it's just pj's, so it's not like it would have to be perfect anyway. The trickiest part would probably be the sleeves. Sleeves make me a little nuts, but they just take practice.

I really like Simplicity patterns- they tend to be very easy to follow IME. There's also a site called youcanmakethis.com with some fantastic patterns- don't know if they have any for pj's or not.

JTsMom
05-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Oh, and knits are slightly trickier to work with b/c of the stretchiness- make sure you get a ballpoint needle. I'd consider regular cotton and/or flannel for your first one, just to give yourself a little practice.

MommyAllison
05-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Ooh thank you Lori! I do have a ballpoint needle already from some other sewing I've done with knits (waldorf doll and doll clothing). I will check out that site and look at Simplicity patterns, and I'll pick up some other material in case the knit doesn't go so well. :)

Kidrepair
05-07-2009, 03:13 PM
I just buy huge tshirts and that is mostly what they wear, my oldest dd wears my gym shirt from highschool and a few others with wolves from trips etc. she loves them...

manda
05-07-2009, 04:55 PM
I used this pattern to make a witch dress for Halloween. It was super easy (even the sleeves weren't too tricky) and I am a really basic sewer.

http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=9292

My mom used to sew skirts on to tank tops for my little sisters. They used them for play dresses and pjs.

MommyAllison
05-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Thank you for that pattern link! That looks perfect. Though I really like the skirt on tank top dress idea too...