PDA

View Full Version : This is strange, right?

Mommy Of A Little Angel
05-07-2009, 03:03 PM
DD has been taking gymnastic classes at a local gym. She loves the class and up until now has been in the parent participation classes. In June they are no longer offering the parental involvement class because there aren't enough kids so DD will move to the 3-5yo class. A friend whose daughter is in there now was telling me the teacher puts the kids in time-out. I thought this was odd because even DD's preschool doesn't use time-out (unless that is a very big issue and it's never gotten that far). My friend was saying her DD is in time-out at least once per class! I just can't see enjoying gymnastics with the threat of time-outs. Does this seem odd to anyone else? I am not sure I want to do the next class because I want it to be something that is fun, not a punishment!

Mermanaid
05-07-2009, 03:28 PM
It seems a little unconventional in the situation, but I can understand why they do it. Disruption on the part of one child impacts the entire class. I've seen this happen on several occassions during DD's gymnastics class. And I will admit that it makes me angry because I've just paid for a class that was not productive because the coach was trying to discipline a certain child the whole time.

Ceepa
05-07-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm guessing it's more like removing a child from a situation where he/she has become a distraction for the rest of the students.

nov04
05-07-2009, 03:42 PM
That's the sort of thing I'd want to be informed of before the class started.

happy2bamom
05-07-2009, 03:45 PM
DS has had to sit out at gymnastics on several occassions. It usually isn't for very long, just until he is ready to listen and participate appropriately. I really don't mind when the teacher does it. She handles it really well, and is very sweet to the kids. She has 12 5 year olds that she has to teach and keep safe and having kids "sit out" until they are composed seems fair to me.

sariana
05-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Nope, not strange. My DS gets time-out at gymnastics all the time. He needs it. He has sensory issues and can't keep his hands (and other body parts) off the other students. He jumps on them, pokes at them, etc. So the instructor puts him in time-out to separate him.

BTW, DS has been evaluated and is in SpEd preschool. We are dealing with his issues. But we want him to participate in "normal" activities, too. Sometimes that leads to inappropriate interactions with other children. Time-out is a non-threatening way to defuse the situation so he can enjoy the rest of the class (which he does).

Mommy Of A Little Angel
05-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks ladies! I guess I just don't know what the older classes are like! DH said it sounded fine to him too!

dogmom
05-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I just want to say that I never saw time outs in my gym. The teachers were great at keeping the students involved and excited and were very comfortable using positive correction and drawing the kids back in.

baymom
05-07-2009, 05:48 PM
At the place my DS used to take gymnastics, they used to do the same thing. I definitely thought "time outs" were a bit odd for gymnastics class....but to be fair, those kids were really out of control and I think it was more for safety reasons then for punishment.

jayali
05-08-2009, 03:03 AM
I know you have had plenty of good answers, just wanted to add my 2 cents. My son takes swimming and his teacher gives 1 warning for not listening and then you are out of the pool for a time out. She needs to do this for safety reasons and I completely understand. I would expect the same in a gym environment where there is equipment that could present a safety issue if someone is not listening. Especially when the parent is not present.

maestramommy
05-08-2009, 06:59 AM
I know you have had plenty of good answers, just wanted to add my 2 cents. My son takes swimming and his teacher gives 1 warning for not listening and then you are out of the pool for a time out. She needs to do this for safety reasons and I completely understand. I would expect the same in a gym environment where there is equipment that could present a safety issue if someone is not listening. Especially when the parent is not present.

I agree with this. There is a certain element of danger in gymnastics (and swimming). If you have one instructor managing 12 kids(?), one disruptive child can make things sketchy. As long as the instructor does it in a non-threatening way like the the pp described (wish I knew how that was done!), it should be fine.

DietCokeLover
05-08-2009, 07:38 AM
As a former gymnastics coach, just backing up what some others have said. It is done for safety for the whole class/ gym. If the teachers attention is drawn away from the class by one misbehaving student it can lead to harm for someone else, or can lead to harm for the child who is misbehaving. It's done not to be harsh, but just to aid in the process of teaching discipline, which is one of the big things gymnastics teaches.