PDA

View Full Version : Question about Video Monitors

torinyc
05-07-2009, 07:31 PM
I know now what Baby Bargains meant about poor video quality. I just bought a Summer one. I do not care so much for hearing my 3-month DS, because we live in an apartment. But I am petrified about moving him into his own room (he sleeps in our bedroom for now). So, I thought if I have any quality picture of him on my nightstand, I'll be fine. But the picture is so pale that I can barely see his silhouette in the crib. Also, it is hard to find the right angle on the camera so that his image is not obstructed by the bumper. Anyone has ideas? Thanks a lot

neeleymartin
05-07-2009, 08:01 PM
we have ours mounted on the wall just above the crib. works great. hth.

sunshine873
05-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Have you tried adjusting the brightness?

My DD is still in a pack n play in our room, and the camera is on a high table looking down into the pack n play. We can see her great. Like pp, I think we'll either mount on the wall above her crib (when she moves in there), or put it on a shelf on the wall to set it on.

torinyc
05-08-2009, 07:55 AM
I adjusted the brightness and finally figured out that the camera should be looking down, facing the baby, not on the side of the crib. I think all the sleepless nights made me stupid :)
Thank you very much for help! It worked well last night.

sunshine873
05-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Great, I'm glad it's working for you now. Don't worry, we all have the sleepless night fog at some point...one of those joys of motherhood, right? :wink2:

WatchingThemGrow
05-08-2009, 08:41 AM
and...you're going to (soon enough) need to move the cord so the standing, grabbing baby can't reach the dangling cord and pull the camera into the crib. Although, I have to say DS was really cute on the handheld part when he was gnawing and babbling in the camera.

sunshine873
05-12-2009, 02:51 AM
and...you're going to (soon enough) need to move the cord so the standing, grabbing baby can't reach the dangling cord and pull the camera into the crib.

Oh I never thought about that! Well, there's something else to remember when it's time for baby-proofing! Thanks!

torinyc
06-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Just thought I'd update on how our quest for Video monitor went for future generations of parents :)

We got summer infant monitor and bebesounds. In fact we got two identical summer (because the second was cheaper on amazon, so I returned the first one to the store to collect $50 difference :) Anyway, we had too much interference with one of the summer infant and with bebesounds. But the second summer is working fine. Yes, video quality is not great. But I can roll over and see whether my DS is fussy in his sleep or whether he needs me. So, even though I agree with Baby Bargains authors that the technology is unstable at best, I am still happy we bought this video monitor.
Thank you all for your help!