PDA

View Full Version : how is the beco better/different than a bjorn?

neeleymartin
05-07-2009, 09:34 PM
i have 2 bjorns and the cost of the beco makes me sick in the stomach. convince me that i need it. i love the rust organic with cutey owls. dh will also use it. i also just bought a k'tan for cheap. but i think that it will be used only for a short while. tia

SnuggleBuggles
05-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Well, I use it with my 17m old because it is comfy and convenient. I can do a front or a back carry. I had to ditch the Bjorn at 8m because it was positively killing my shoulders but I have no troubles with the Beco...and ds is probably 6lbs heaver than he was back then. The back support strap is really nice. Nice, padded shoulder straps. Baby seems quite comfy in there- he gets to sit in it vs kind of being suspended by his crotch in the Bjorn. You can also use it to 40lbs so even if you think now you won't use it that long, at least you'll have the option. I actually started using the beco again after not using it much the past few months. I forgot how handy it was!

I can't remember the features of the K'Tan to know how much overlap there is with the Beco so you may be set with the K'Tan.

Beth

neeleymartin
05-08-2009, 06:37 AM
thanks beth.

clearly, i was overlooking the option for a variety of carrying positions.

glad to hear that you think dc is more comfy in it, as that is my main concern. the bjorn seems to let ds's head flop around a bit, will this be less an issue with the beco?

anyone else have tidbits to add?

Nechums
05-08-2009, 07:23 AM
I actually have all 3 carriers - Bjorn, Ktan and Beco. I got the Bjorn because I thought that was THE carrier to get. Boy was I wrong. It's so uncomfortable (even with the lumbar support). I also hated how DS just hanged there. I see people with the Bjorn on the street and I cringe just by looking at the babys' position.

I got the Ktan (as I've mentioned in previous Ktan-related posts) when DS was barely 1 month and used it religiously through month 6. He mostly used it for naps in the sling position, but we also used the adventure and other upright positions.

But at 6 months, he no longer fit comfortably in the sling position and the upright positions started hurting by shoulders and back after extended wear. That's when I bought my Beco. It may be a lot, but since it can be used through toddlerhood, it ends up being a good deal (unlike the Bjorn which is around the same price, but has limited use). I love my Beco and do not regret the purchase.

I still use the Ktan occasionally, but the Beco is my go to carrier now. I have the rustic organic one with the owls too! I bought it because I hope that one day DH will use it too.

jenny
05-08-2009, 09:18 AM
This is how someone explained it to me about the baby bjorn (which I owned b/c I thought it was the best out there, but learned the error of my ways).

When you carry your child in your arms, the natural position is for him to be seated on your hips. This is the most comfortable position for a baby to be in when being held. And also the most comfortable position for you to hold the baby.

If you've ever been rock climbing or been in any sort of harness, you know how uncomfortable it is to just hang from your crotch and dangle your legs. It's not natural. This is how the baby feels in the bjorn.

Also, b/c the baby's legs just hang there, it throws off your center of gravity and puts the weight of the child on your back and shoulders.

Many parents like the idea of having the baby face out in the bjorn, but some children find it uncomfortable b/c they get sensory overload and can't turn their head away. But in the beco, the baby faces you and can look out just fine and if they get tired of looking out, they can turn their head and rest it on your chest (which mine often does).

I love my beco butterfly 2. I love the internal seat so that I can put baby on back with ease without fear of her falling out. But as she gets older, I can understand how parents find other carriers like the ergo or calyx more easier to put on b/c you don't have to deal with the internal seat.

The beco is WAY more comfy than the bjorn, even with the lumbar support. I have that one and it killed my shoulders after a baby got over a certain weight.

I got my beco from babysnazz for $90, including S&H, which is actually less than the $120 my friends paid to get me the bjorn active.

You can find returned becos on frogmama.com too.

You will not regret your decision. Trust the moms on this board :D and welcome to the world of babywearing.

SnuggleBuggles
05-08-2009, 09:35 AM
But as she gets older, I can understand how parents find other carriers like the ergo or calyx more easier to put on b/c you don't have to deal with the internal seat.

You can find returned becos on frogmama.com too.

I haven't used the internal seat in a few months and it hasn't complicated things that it is there. That could just be my experience. There are so many awesome carriers out there though. I got very overwhelmed researching them.

I also got mine as a return on frogmama. Easy transaction and I saved about $40.

Beth

jenny
05-08-2009, 10:01 AM
I haven't used the internal seat in a few months and it hasn't complicated things that it is there. That could just be my experience. There are so many awesome carriers out there though. I got very overwhelmed researching them.

I also got mine as a return on frogmama. Easy transaction and I saved about $40.

Beth

Oh I didn't even think about not using the internal seat. what a good idea.

neeleymartin
05-08-2009, 12:23 PM
can't wait to get my beco!!!! :yay:ordered this morning. i was dreaming about it all last night, for the couple hours i actually got sleep. lol.

jenny
05-12-2009, 10:44 AM
If you need help getting it comfy, just post pics or PM me. I was wearing DD too low and the moms on TBW helped me adjust the straps to get it comfy.