PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay/what to do in BALTIMORE

LD92599
05-07-2009, 09:50 PM
We're going to be in Baltimore for a weekend in August. Not sure if DS will be with us or not.

Where is a good place to stay (decent, doesn't need to be fancy, etc)? And things to do?

Thanks/Laura

StantonHyde
05-12-2009, 11:29 PM
I always liked the inner harbor and the aquarium is awesome. Not sure about hotels since I always stayed with friends.

bnme
05-13-2009, 08:28 PM
We've stayed at the Residence Inn and Days Inn Inner Harbor. Both were nice. Residence Inn a bit nicer, but rooms all have kitchens so maybe pricier. Days Inn had a SMALL outdoor pool. RI had free buffet breakfast and snacks nightly -nothing fancy but good. We didn't do much when we were there because we were there for my DH's surgery at Johns Hopkins, but it is a place that I would love to go back to.

The Inner Harbor is great for restaurants, site seeing. And I believe there are several touristy/artsy areas nearby. The aquarium is very nice.

Check your dates and book early because if the Yankees are in town it is impossible to get a room.

SnuggleBuggles
05-13-2009, 09:55 PM
I've been to the Monterey Bay aquarium in CA many times but my one visit to the aquarium in Baltimore stands out as being better. It is worth doing. PP reminded me about baseball games; that could be fun!

No hotel ideas. We did Baltimore as a day trip when we were in DC once.

Beth

ThreeofUs
05-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Baltimore in August is characterized by the 3 H's: Hazy, Hot and Humid. So I'd have a list of things to do inside - except for baseball. :)

ITA about the Inner Harbor and the Aquarium. If you're at all into art or armour, the Walters has a fine collection.

ciw
05-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Well, the PP was right. Baltimore in August is definitely hazy, hot and humid. But there are still lots of neat things to do. I'd make the Aquarium a must see. (IF DS comes, he will LOVE it!) And you can easily kill some time wandering around the shops at the Inner Harbor. If DS doesn't come, you may want to check out Fells Point or Canton at night. Lots of pubs, restaurants and people-watching! If DS does come, depending on his age and interests, he may like Port Discovery (www.portdiscovery.org), the Baltimore Zoo (www.marylandzoo.org), the Constellation (www.constellation.org), Camden Yards, the ESPN Zone or, if he's into trains, the B&O Railroad (www.borail.org).
There's also Little Italy -- lots of wonderful restaurants. Be sure to walk over to Vaccaro's (www.vaccarospastry.com) for dessert (they have awesome pastries or you can get a gelati to cool off from the August heat).
If you have time to venture away from the Harbor, check out the Walter's (thewalters.org) or for a real Baltimore experience, grab brunch at Miss Shirley's (www.missshirleys.com). Be sure to order the German Apple Pancake as soon as you arrive. It takes them 30 minutes to make and it's worth every minute of the wait. (It's huge...I'd suggest ordering it instead of an appetizer and splitting it. Plus, that way you can sample other things like the savory grits or Coconut Cream Stuffed French Toast).
If you have even more time, you may like to see more of Mt. Vernon or Federal Hill. Or wander farther north to see a concert at Oregon Ridge or the beautiful scenery at Ladew Gardens.
Have fun!

egoldber
05-14-2009, 11:09 AM
If your DS is with you, don't forget the Maryland Science Center (it's in the Inner Harbor area). It is our favorite place to go in Baltimore. We regularly make the hour trek up there for it. :)

LD92599
07-19-2009, 10:21 PM
I've got plans made! I'm adding a bunch of links to my iCal so i'm not empty-handed while there!

We're going to have DS with us for most of Saturday and then meet my MIL around 4pm, she'll take DS home w/ her and it leaves DH & I in Baltimore ourselves overnight!

I have the following bookmarked, depends on weather, etc but we're planning on being in Baltimore by 10am at the latest.

Ducks Tours
Aquarium
Children's Museum
Maryland Science Center
USS Constellation

DS *loves* boats and history, so i'm sure we'll do the Duck Tour for sure and then the USS constellation, but leave the rest open in case it's TOO hot or raining, etc.

I've also bookmarked Miss Shirleys for breakfast on Sunday in case the hotel doesn't include it. Where to eat though on Saturday night? My DH loves a good veal parm, i think we're definitely heading to Little Italy!