PDA

View Full Version : BF/return to work ?'s - unique situation

justincase
05-08-2009, 09:20 AM
I return to work on a short term basis in a couple of weeks and can’t stop myself from thinking about this already…

Lots of good/interesting things about my situation:
* I only have to go back for the two weeks left in the school year.
* DH is able to take time off to stay home with DD for most of the two weeks and my parents the rest.
* School is not going to put me back in the classroom with only two weeks to go in the year, so I will be working on “projects” and will have some ability to come and go during the day.
* DD happily takes a bottle and I have a huge freezer stash.
* School is 1 mile from home – the walk to my parked car from my office takes longer than the drive home.

Currently, DD cluster feeds intensely for most of the day, every hour or two. Do I go home to BF at certain times? How many times between 8:00 and 3:00 versus how many bottles? What if she’s sleeping? Or do I have DH try to call me at a good time instead of scheduling? If she’s hungry and I am coming home “soon” how long is it okay for him to hold her off and not give a bottle?

I am trying to plan this so I can come home to BF for enough feedings that I don’t have to pump at work, although I will if I have to. It is only for two weeks and then I’m home with her all summer so I don’t want to disrupt the BF too much for something that is so short term, KWIM? And it seems silly to lug in the pump and deal with all that when I am so close and have been given some freedom to come home. But I can’t seem to think clearly about much right now and feel like I am missing something obvious!

ETA: DD will be 8 weeks old when I go back. And my employer is *very* family friendly and is indeed really happy to have me do whatever works for this period as long as the work is getting done.

Momof3Labs
05-08-2009, 09:47 AM
If I were in your shoes, I'd worry that I would go home to nurse, she'd start cluster feeding, and it would take me forever to get back to work. I'd personally let DH/GPs feed her bottles for the day and pump maybe twice, and see how that works. I doubt it would interrupt your nursing relationship as she is quite young and will still be nursing the rest of the day plus the weekends. But then, I also don't work in a very family-friendly profession, so part of my response is based on the fact that *my* employer wouldn't be too happy if I came back for two weeks and spent a good part of the day running home to nurse.

If you had a turbo nurser who was on and off in 15 minutes, and was then good for 3hrs, I think that it would make sense to go home 1-2x for that.

justincase
05-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Yeah, in a way, it would almost seem to make it easier (for planning if not for emotions!) if I knew I couldn't come home and that's just the way it was. I definitely *don't* have the turbo nurser you describe. My fear is exactly what you describe about coming home and not being able to get away again, and of course that our nursing relationship will be disrupted. Sigh. I feel like I am going to wind up doing as you describe. That's what my *brain* was telling me all along. But our nursing relationship was fought for so hard in the beginning that I am paranoid about losing it, so my *heart* wants her on the breast all the time! :)

stillplayswithbarbies
05-09-2009, 12:13 AM
can your husband bring her to you at work and you nurse her there, even if it is in the car in the parking lot? That might work out better for you to pop out and nurse and then do it again in an hour, especially if she nurses, then naps for an hour and nurses again.

If it were me, I would arrange a time to come home and a time to go back and nurse her as much as she wants during that time. She will adjust to your schedule, and in the other times she can get a bottle. That will keep your supply up and you might not have to pump at all. Your husband will know what time you are coming home, so he won't give her a bottle just as you are about to walk in the door. And you can plan your day better if you have a set time.

justincase
05-09-2009, 07:54 AM
can your husband bring her to you at work and you nurse her there, even if it is in the car in the parking lot? That might work out better for you to pop out and nurse and then do it again in an hour, especially if she nurses, then naps for an hour and nurses again.

I love it! Why didn't I think of that? Told you my brain isn't back to normal... :) My office might be the size of a broom closet with zero ventilation but it is *mine* and has a door! :D

I am starting to wrap my brain around this. If he brings her to me at, say, 11:30, that's only half a day (3.5 hrs) I've been away from her. She can hang out with me and nurse for an hour. Then there's only 2.5 hrs left until I go home. Not bad, right?

stillplayswithbarbies
05-09-2009, 03:20 PM
sounds perfect :)