PDA

View Full Version : Just once could you make an attempt for Mother's Day?

mytwosons
05-08-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm so thankful for the BP, otherwise, I think I'd be letting my DH get an earful!

He has never gotten Mother's Day "right". By that, I mean he has never made it a priority, but goes about it half-@ssed. I don't think I got anything for my first MD, which was very hurtful, especially since it was just a month PP. I got that we were all exhausted, but come on!

I really thought this year was going to be different. DS1 (unprompted) had asked him what they were going to do for me and when my husband told me, he mentioned going out for brunch. I have a favorite place, and since we never get to go there, it's the obvious choice. They book up well before MD and reservations are a must. Did he bother to call for a reservation before today?!? Plus, I know he was going to consider the brunch my present and now has nothing and no ideas.

He absolutely sucks.

I'm so glad my DS isn't taking after him in the thoughtfulness department!

clc053103
05-08-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm so sorry. Mother's Day always ends up being such a nightmare, either a let-down or a struggle to balance your own Mother's DAy desires with that of your own mothers. Quite honestly, I am at the point that I would love to stay home, alone, with my DS to avoid it all!!

I hope all works out and DH pulls it off with a nice brunch and even a gift!

KrisM
05-08-2009, 11:56 AM
yeah, it's the last minute thing that gets me. I don't really expect a lot, but a small gift would be fine.

My first mother's day was 9 days after DS1 was born. DH got me flowers and a card and that was perfectly fine. My parents brought dinner and did all the cooking and cleaning up after - perfect!

The next year was funny - DH went on and on about how for MD it's about breakfast in bed, and treating mom special, not a gift. Okay, fine. That sounds great. I waited and waited and nothing. Really? You tell me for weeks about how you did this for your mom and that's what it's about and I get nothing?

Now, I know I'll get breakfast in bed, but I have to shop for the food. Not sure if there will be a gift other than the necklace I ordered myself. DS1 made me something in school, which was great. DS1 says I'll have all my meals in bed and I should stay in my room all day just relaxing and everyone else will do all my things for me :). That would be great!

I just hope he's thought about it a bit.

sorry for the hijack. I hope he has something planned for you.

kransden
05-08-2009, 01:46 PM
I NEVER go out on actual Mother's Day or Valentine's Day either. The crowds are just to stressful. Why can't they take you out on Saturday? Then on Sunday DS can make you breakfast in bed and later take-out or pizza? I milk the entire weekend :)

mytwosons
05-08-2009, 02:18 PM
I NEVER go out on actual Mother's Day or Valentine's Day either. The crowds are just to stressful. Why can't they take you out on Saturday? Then on Sunday DS can make you breakfast in bed and later take-out or pizza? I milk the entire weekend :)

They could take me out Saturday, and I would have loved to go out another day, had it been planned in advance.

My husband has a history of being very selfish and minimizing what I do. (Yes, we do need counseling.) I just get so hurt that he didn't care enough to put forth the effort to call for a reservation. We've BTDT before, so he should know you can't wait until the Friday before and expect to get a reservation.

lorinick
05-08-2009, 02:43 PM
They could take me out Saturday, and I would have loved to go out another day, had it been planned in advance.

My husband has a history of being very selfish and minimizing what I do. (Yes, we do need counseling.) I just get so hurt that he didn't care enough to put forth the effort to call for a reservation. We've BTDT before, so he should know you can't wait until the Friday before and expect to get a reservation.

I feel your pain. My dh always says I'm not his MOTHER. Nice isn't it. I'm the mother of your two boys and I do everything around here. His father says that same thing your not my mother. What a cope out. He want to go to brunch and the zoo. That's fine but he dosen't ask what I want to do. The zoo is something he want to do.

salsah
05-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm so thankful for the BP, otherwise, I think I'd be letting my DH get an earful!

He has never gotten Mother's Day "right". By that, I mean he has never made it a priority, but goes about it half-@ssed. I don't think I got anything for my first MD, which was very hurtful, especially since it was just a month PP. I got that we were all exhausted, but come on!

I really thought this year was going to be different. DS1 (unprompted) had asked him what they were going to do for me and when my husband told me, he mentioned going out for brunch. I have a favorite place, and since we never get to go there, it's the obvious choice. They book up well before MD and reservations are a must. Did he bother to call for a reservation before today?!? Plus, I know he was going to consider the brunch my present and now has nothing and no ideas.

He absolutely sucks.

I'm so glad my DS isn't taking after him in the thoughtfulness department!

i could have written exactly this. dd1 was born exactly one month before md, and i thought dh would do something special. he didn't. four years later, i know now not to expect anything. even though i try to make him feel special on fd, he hasn't learned from me yet.

oh well, at least you have your ds. my dd told me that on my birthday she would "go with daddy to buy a cake for your birthday and you stay home the whole day to clean the yourself." nice. although now, a day alone does sound really good -- even if i have to spend it cleaning.

frgsnlzrds
05-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm right there with you! My DH isn't bad, but he's such a procrastinator! We were shopping for Mother's Day cards at Target last sunday and I had to remind him to get one for his mom. Then I asked if he wanted me to go away so he and the kids can pick out one for me and he said, "Nah, I'll get to it later."

Yeah. Right.

Last year I complained (on mother's day) that he NEVER gets me a card or a present, not even on my birthday or our anniversary. We stopped at Dominick's on the way to his mom's so he could get me a card. Yeah. Waiting in a hot car, that's what I want to do for Mother's Day. I've also been hinting for YEARS that I want a necklace with birthstone decorations and he has yet to pick that up either. There's not going to be much going on here for Father's Day, I can tell you that!

bubbaray
05-08-2009, 10:54 PM
I am so in the same boat. If DH EVER says to me again that *I* am not *his* mother, I.will.scream. My DD#1 has been asking all week what DH is getting me for MD.

Just freakin' once, just once....