PDA

View Full Version : What's your ideal Mother's Day?

KrisM
05-08-2009, 12:31 PM
With so many posts complaining of DH's not getting it right, I wonder what we moms really want.

I love my breakfast in bed. He gets that right.

I'd love a small gift. It could be just having the kids make something for me, or taking them shopping to pick me out something. It does not have to be expensive, fancy or anything like that. It definitely doesn't need to be *from* DH, as I am not his mother. He needs to facilitate me getting gifts from my kids though.

I'd also like DH to make dinner :).

I'd just like to feel appreciated throughout the day. Maybe a little more down-time for me.

TwinFoxes
05-08-2009, 01:02 PM
This is my first Mother's Day. One thing I miss is going out to brunch, I'd love to go out to Sunday brunch. And a gift that's not too "mom" like...I'd love some cute earrings. Mostly, I'd like a gift that I don't have to return (my husband sometimes doesn't seem to believe in sizes. He'll buy something for me in a completely wrong size just because it "looked like it might fit" and I have to go through the hassle of returning it.) Oddly, my husband hasn't asked what I want, he's planning something on his own...I'm really looking forward to seeing what he gets!

smiles33
05-08-2009, 01:10 PM
I think my definition is almost identical to yours, Kris. I love sleeping in, so waking up to breakfast in bed (and not a 6 am wake-up visit, "Mommy are you awake? Can we go downstairs?") would be a wonderful way to start my Mother's Day.

DH does all the cooking at our house already, so I think an extra special Mother's day treat would be one where he made my favorite foods AND cleaned all the pots/pans/dishes/special equipment he uses.

I really don't care for any gifts. I'd like a card from DH and DD that just says they love me and appreciate me. I keep all my cards so it's always nice to pull one out and read some loving supportive words when I'm having a bad day.

In terms of the rest of the day, I'd just like to relax. It might be reading on the couch while DH plays w/DD or going on a leisurely family trip.

KrisM
05-08-2009, 01:15 PM
This is my first Mother's Day. One thing I miss is going out to brunch, I'd love to go out to Sunday brunch. And a gift that's not too "mom" like...I'd love some cute earrings. Mostly, I'd like a gift that I don't have to return (my husband sometimes doesn't seem to believe in sizes. He'll buy something for me in a completely wrong size just because it "looked like it might fit" and I have to go through the hassle of returning it.) Oddly, my husband hasn't asked what I want, he's planning something on his own...I'm really looking forward to seeing what he gets!

There are lots of brunches here, but they sound so hard! They're all buffet style.

I picture: DH getting a plate and then sitting at the table with the kids as I make a trip for DS, then DD, and then myself. I take a bite, then get up to get someone more to drink. I come back, take another bite of food, then get someone more fruit. I come back, and need to spoon feed DS2. In between I grab a few bites of food. Finally, after an hour, the kids are under the table and crawling around, DH is ready to go, and I'm still hungry :).

elliput
05-08-2009, 01:17 PM
A card and a bright bouquet of spring flowers is just fine with me. Preferably two cards, one from DH and one from the kids which was purchased by DH.

As an aside-

I do not want to be asked on Mother's Day what I want for Mother's Day.

mytwosons
05-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I just want to feel loved and appreciated for an entire day.

I don't need nor expect anything expensive. But, I do want some thought put into it. Being an afterthought doesn't make me feel loved or appreciated. I'll stop here since I've already posted in the BP!

infomama
05-08-2009, 01:35 PM
I just want to feel loved and appreciated for an entire day. I don't need nor expect anything expensive.
:yeahthat:. I wouldn't mind being away for MD...like on vacation with only DH and Dd's. My mom and MIL live very close by and although I enjoy seeing them on MD, it would be fun to have it all to myself one year.

Tondi G
05-08-2009, 01:36 PM
I don't need any gifts... a hand made card works just fine for me. I'd like to spend the day with my family... go out for breakfast or brunch maybe? We'll probably have lunch or dinner out with MIL and SIL/BIL. My mom is working and my sister is out of town so we'll have dinner with my family later on in the week or the following Sunday!

We'll see what DH has planned and how the day pans out!

maestramommy
05-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Well, I think mine won't happen for a few years yet, but what I have now is pretty good. Once a year, usually around this time, I get a whole day off. I can make the day as long as I like. I usually leave the house because that's the only way I can make it happen. In previous years I've spent the day with a friend, just hanging out, eating, window shopping, etc. This year (tomorrow, woot!) I'm going to a church womens retreat, then I'll probably hit the library or something. We're ordering out dinner (for the first time in a while!), and if we're not too tired we'll watch "Prince Caspian." Oh, and Dh has always gotten me a card.

As an added bonus, Dh and I are going to our neighbor's house tonight for a wine tasting party/breast cancer fundraiser. No wine for me, but I don't care! We have a sitter! We'll be hanging out with adults!:yay:

Ceepa
05-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I like some loot on Mother's Day. Nothing big or extravagant, but I do like something to unwrap. :D

MontrealMum
05-08-2009, 01:49 PM
As an aside-

I do not want to be asked on Mother's Day what I want for Mother's Day.
Me too!

My poor DH is under a lot of pressure (mostly from himself) because Mother's Day is followed very shortly by my birthday. Last year Mother's Day was very nice - flowers from both DH and DS, fresh croissants and sleeping in. But the birthday was a complete and total bust. We'll see this year...

For Mother's Day we are going to the special mother's brunch that my church has pre-service, DS was too young last year, and I'm looking forward to that. Then, I hope that the weather is nice enough that we can do a family bike ride. Mostly, I just want to spend the day with my family, just the three of us. :)

ahrimie
05-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Well, this year, I thought I'd just buy myself something bc DH always gets me what *he* wants to get me. Sure it might be nice jewelry.. but when do I get to wear nice jewelry??

So, I bought myself a cute Lacoste shirt dress.

IF I were to get something though.... something thoughtful would be nice. Like, the vacation or even a cool STAY-cation I've been begging for. A weekend trip to a different city (even though traveling with DD isn't easy peasy, it's do-able). Some cash to spend whatever I want on (that'd be nice, to be able to spend money without a guilt trip).

sunshine873
05-08-2009, 02:58 PM
It's my 1st Mother's Day, so I don't know what to expect. I'm excited, but trying to keep my expectations low.

I would like to start with breakfast in bed. I know that's going to happen, because I've already been ordered by DH to stay in bed Sunday morning. (I'm a morning person and am normally up before him.) As for the rest of the day...I would love to have good food without having to cook (if that means we go out, that's fine.) & I'd just like to spend the day with my little family. Some small gift to commemorate my 1st Mother's Day would be sweet.

All in all, I'm so thrilled to finally have a Mother's Day where I'm not just claiming that I'm the dogs' mom. It'll be nice to celebrate with my new baby!

tamie
05-08-2009, 03:02 PM
I would like for DH to plan something with the kids- making me a card or breakfast in bed. My kiddos were so excited to shop for his birthday last week and to surprise him. They teased him for days about his presents.

$$ are tight here, so I don't need a gift. Just a day of love!

billysmommy
05-08-2009, 03:14 PM
We've done the same thing the past few years and I love it.

I get to sleep in which is usually ~8ish and I'll get surprised with home-made cards and whatever the boys made at school. Then we'll go out to breakfast ~ usually just Panera or Starbucks as we want to make it quick. Then we go to Garden in the Woods for the morning ~ there's a scavenger hunt for the boys to do and all the flowers are in bloom. Then I get to pick out a plant for our yard. We go to a great little cafe in town for lunch and then off to get the vegetables for our garden and tadpoles/snails for our pond ~ this year we need to get more koi also. Then we come home and plant our garden and relax in the yard for the afternoon. We usually get take-out for dinner or DH may grill. DH does bath and bedtime while I get to sit outside with a glass of wine or a cocktail. I can't wait :)

salsah
05-08-2009, 05:48 PM
With so many posts complaining of DH's not getting it right, I wonder what we moms really want.

I love my breakfast in bed. He gets that right.

I'd love a small gift. It could be just having the kids make something for me, or taking them shopping to pick me out something. It does not have to be expensive, fancy or anything like that. It definitely doesn't need to be *from* DH, as I am not his mother. He needs to facilitate me getting gifts from my kids though.

I'd also like DH to make dinner :).

I'd just like to feel appreciated throughout the day. Maybe a little more down-time for me.

exactly this! but w/o breakfast in bed or dh cooking. dh doesn't cook and i find breakfast in bed to be stressful. i know, i'm weird, but the kids will want to join me and that means that literally, breakfast will be in my bed. i have strict "no food out of the kitchen" rules.

but otherwise, just make me feel appreciated. and since i am so burned out with two kids stuck to me 24/7, this year, i really need some down time and space -- leave me ALONE!

Melaine
05-08-2009, 09:46 PM
I would love to be able to do all the fun mommy things without all the hard mommy work....

So, I am pretty sure that for this Mother's Day, I would like to be.....DH.

KrisM
05-08-2009, 09:54 PM
exactly this! but w/o breakfast in bed or dh cooking. dh doesn't cook and i find breakfast in bed to be stressful. i know, i'm weird, but the kids will want to join me and that means that literally, breakfast will be in my bed. i have strict "no food out of the kitchen" rules.

but otherwise, just make me feel appreciated. and since i am so burned out with two kids stuck to me 24/7, this year, i really need some down time and space -- leave me ALONE!

I think we all ate bacon in the bed last year. I ended up vacuuming the bed.

DS1 says this year he is making me a sandwich - French toast with cheese and bacon in it. Yum?

KrisM
05-08-2009, 09:55 PM
I would love to be able to do all the fun mommy things without all the hard mommy work....

:hysterical:

bubbaray
05-08-2009, 10:35 PM
I want to be showered with the love and adoration of my girls and DH. Oh yeah, meaningful HEARTFELT cards AND GIFTS. Lots of 'em. OK, kinda joking. Kinda not.

DH blew it on the very first MD back in 2004 and things have gone downhill ever since. He started out thinking he didn't have get me anything as *I* wasn't *his* mother. Um, yeah, my then 3-week old baby can just go grab a card on her own. @#$^%

Like every other "event" I end up telling him what to get b/c otherwise I get nothing.

I would LOVE to get a fabulous gift without having to tell him what that would be. Dude, its been 16 years!

Happy 2B mommy
05-09-2009, 04:36 AM
NOT having to "host" Mothers Day for MIL!! Lately the woman has really been getting on my nerves and I basically told DH he and DD could see go to MIL and take her a gift and card, but I was staying here. I'm 8 months along and I'm not cooking and cleaning for 'company'.

So my ideal mothers day -outside of not having to see MIL- is a small gift (homemade is good), flowers picked from the garden and a card from DD. DH making either breakfast or dinner. Every year DH gets me a card where he writes something really sweet about how much he appreciates all I do as a wife and mother. He started that when I was preggo with DD. I love getting that from him.

JTsMom
05-09-2009, 07:53 AM

:hysterical: Love it!

I'd like a really mellow morning with some sort of breakfast that DH put some thought into- even if he just picked it up.

Then a big gc for my favorite scrapbook store, and the promise of a whole day to do nothing but crafty stuff in peace (but not necessarily on MD), along with a card from DH and a homemade one from DS.

Then we'd go somewhere fun, come home, DH would make dinner, clean up, and put DS to bed, and we'd watch a movie.

So yeah- basically Father's Day, just subbing craft store for Home Depot.

In reality, I think I'm getting a spa day, and that would be pretty awesome too. I haven't done anything like that since before DS was born.

Tammy
05-09-2009, 09:52 PM
We go to the zoo every year on Mother's day (weather permitting). It's where my mom wants to go and I like it too. Other than that, I'd to sleep in just a little (yeah right) and not have to cook/clean up. Oh- and I love getting cards from DD and DH too.
DH is getting me the tree I've been wanting for years too- a weeping mulberry! Mostly, I just like the thought of having fun and then being lazy later on in the day with my family.

firsttimemama
05-09-2009, 09:58 PM
We've done the same thing the past few years and I love it.

I get to sleep in which is usually ~8ish and I'll get surprised with home-made cards and whatever the boys made at school. Then we'll go out to breakfast ~ usually just Panera or Starbucks as we want to make it quick. Then we go to Garden in the Woods for the morning ~ there's a scavenger hunt for the boys to do and all the flowers are in bloom. Then I get to pick out a plant for our yard. We go to a great little cafe in town for lunch and then off to get the vegetables for our garden and tadpoles/snails for our pond ~ this year we need to get more koi also. Then we come home and plant our garden and relax in the yard for the afternoon. We usually get take-out for dinner or DH may grill. DH does bath and bedtime while I get to sit outside with a glass of wine or a cocktail. I can't wait :)

that sounds lovely!