PDA

View Full Version : Who do you get Mother's Day presents from?

rebeccaravit
05-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Growing up, we weren't big gift givers. Don't really know the reasons why, but we didn't really make a big deal about big occasions.

Seems that in DH's family, that isn't the case. For any occasion I get a present from MIL, DH's aunt (MIL's sister), DH's grandma (MIL's mom), step-MIL.

Even for Mother's Day.

I am not their mother and I do not expect a gift from anyone, other than my kids. I don't even think that DH has to buy me a present from himself for Mother's Day.
A card from people that are related to my kids acknowledging me as a mother is nice, but not expected.

So just wondering, who do you get MD presents from?

maestramommy
05-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Nobody. When we were kids, we did give my mom a present for Mothers day, but that was when we were old enough to have our own spending money. I don't know if my dad got my mom anything. Well, maybe sometimes he did, sometimes he didn't.

Dh just gives me a card. And takes over one day of the household. To be fair, he only gives his mom a card as well. Maybe he gave gifts when he was younger and at home. His family is more of a gift giving family than mine (we are so lame!) but I think on Mothers Day they just go out to eat maybe? It's a busy day at church for us, so I can't imagine going out to brunch, esp. with two little kids on what must be the most crowded day of the year!

infomama
05-08-2009, 02:08 PM
DH/Dd's, my mom and my MIL all give me something. I am trying to steer them to the more practical/useful options if they ask.

hellokitty
05-08-2009, 03:09 PM
As a kid, my brothers and I would do something nice for my mom, like make her breakfast, etc.. As an adult, I get her a card and if we can't be there with her to take her out, I send a check so that she and my dad can have a nice meal out together.

As for me getting mother's day gifts, my DH pretty much does it for the kids. However, this yr, my son's preschool made really cute cards and potted a pansy. It was cute, I love it. I'm not big into gifts, so I don't really expect anything. I do expect my DH though to let me relax a bit on mother's day.

kijip
05-08-2009, 05:47 PM
My husband and my son.

My mom writes me a card about how well she thinks I am doing as a mom, which is sweet.

We usually go to dinner with my parents and my dad and husband pay.

We give a small gift to my mom and MIL.

salsah
05-08-2009, 05:49 PM
no one. but i would like something from the girls -- nothing big, a homemade card a flower from the yard would be perfect. but at their age now, dh would have to make that happen, so it doesn't happen.

Pennylane
05-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Usually cards from my children and a card, flowers, and a gift from my DH. Although this year I don't think I am getting anything. He just saw the new Coach bag I bought for myself and muttered "Happy Mother's Day" under his breath, LOL!

Ann