PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Toronto...have questions on Lion Safari and other attractions

msmouse523
05-08-2009, 02:13 PM
We'll be going to Toronto next Saturday (staying for almost a week) and were thinking about going to the African Lion Safari. Is it worth visiting? If so, where can I find coupons? I saw that the Ontario Entertainment book has a BOGO coupon...does anyone have one to spare?

Also, does anyone have any fun suggestions on where to go in Toronto with DD (who's almost 3) and my in-laws? Thanks!

mikeys_mom
05-08-2009, 04:49 PM
I live in the Toronto area. I've only got a minute now. but African Lion Safari IMO is only worth the price on a nice day, when you can take advantage of the other attractions, aside from the safari tour which is only about an hour to an hour and a half. Also, not sure if you are aware, but it is not really in Toronto, it's about a 45 minute drive from here.

Other good attractions include The ROM which has a new dinosaur area, the Ontario science centre - Kidspark area is perfect for that age and the Metro Toronto zoo.

Two babies crying now! - I'll try to post more later.

msmouse523
05-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! We've decided to go with your suggestions and will visit the ROM and Ontario Science Center instead of the African Lion Safari. The safari website looked really cool and is on our way up to Toronto (driving from Chicago), but you're right...it wouldn't be worth it if the weather isn't nice. Thanks again!

bltman
05-09-2009, 11:08 PM
The kidspark at the Science Center is great. I suggest getting there as soon as it opens - it gets really busy fast. The rest of the Center is good but except for the special limited time attractions, the technology in the exhibits are a little dated.

If you are going to be in the north end of the Toronto Area, I suggest checking out Reptilia. It is a small indoor reptile zoo but the snakes and gators/crocodiles they have are amazing.

mytwosons
05-10-2009, 06:24 PM
If you're driving...is Storybook Village still around? I remember that fondly from my childhood. It's not in TO, but I think it's on your way. Maybe around London???

I think this is it! http://www.storybook.london.ca/ We might have to plan a trip this year!

mytwosons
05-10-2009, 06:33 PM
So, I'm no checking out the Storybook Village site. Are you planning to drive in 2 days? If so, where are you planning to stop for the night? If it's near Detroit, London is a nice half-way point to Toronto, and the ticket prices are cheap enough to justify even a short visit.

I'm pretty familiar with the Chicago-Toronto route, so let me know if you need places to stay/stop.

msmouse523
05-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Storybook Gardens looks like a LOT of fun!!! I'm sure DD would love it! We were planning on driving up to Toronto in 1 day, but if we stop at Storybook Gardens, we may have to stay overnight in London...will have to discuss it with DH tonight. Reptilia looks interesting too. DH and I are going to have to sit down and plan out our itinerary. We're planning on taking a day trip to Niagara Falls too. So much to do, but so little time. I'm getting really excited about this trip...haven't been to Toronto since I was a kid! I noticed that Monday, the 18th is a Canadian holiday (Victoria's Day). Will a lot of places be closed?

bubbaray
05-11-2009, 10:56 PM
OK, I'm not in the TO area, but are you planning on crossing the border on the Monday? If so, I would think the border will be busy then -- its a long weekend in Canada and many Canadians will be returning from weekends spent in the US. Coming North over the border will be easier on either Saturday or Sunday....

Malloryn
05-12-2009, 05:30 PM
I'd recommend Ontario Place if it's a nice day. It's only open on weekends (and May 18) for now, but it has lots of fun things for a toddler to do. :)

http://www.ontarioplace.com/en/index.html

MontrealMum
05-12-2009, 06:57 PM
I noticed that Monday, the 18th is a Canadian holiday (Victoria's Day). Will a lot of places be closed?

Yes, Mon. is Victoria Day. Some places will be closed, some will not. You need to check with each one unfortunately. More and more stay open now, but you find the odd one that isn't and it can be a bit of a surprise. Hours can change for a holiday like this too.

Bubbaray is right - the border will be absolute mayhem - especially the Detroit/Windsor corridor which I assume you'll be coming up on (401). Although I expect you'll be staying on the Canadian side to see the Falls, I would think that the traffic in that region will be especially bad too :( I mean, the QEW is normally bad, I mean worse than normal.

msmouse523
05-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Thank you all for your great tips! I really appreciate it! We'll be crossing the border at Sarnia this Saturday so I'm hoping that traffic won't be too bad. DH found that it's faster this way instead of going through Detroit/Windsor. Yes, we'll be staying on the Canadian side of the Falls...were originally planning on going on Monday, but may go on Tuesday instead because of the holiday. As for Ontario Place, I have great memories from my childhood. I noticed on their website that there's a lot of water activities for kids. Is it worth going to if the weather isn't warm enough for a swimsuit?

MontrealMum
05-12-2009, 09:00 PM
If you're coming through Chicago you'll be coming up on 94. The crossing at Sarnia/Port Huron is off 69/96 so you'll have to take quite a jag out of your way as you approach Detroit (don't know whether you were planning on turning north at AA on 23 or once in Detroit, or are you going up 131 from Kzoo to GR and then over on 96?... either way, this is going to slow you down).

Looping north through Detroit to cross at Port Huron will bring you onto the 402 at Sarnia which will then have to work its way back down again to the 401 to get you to TO. Unless there is some funky Detroit construction - and when isn't there? That's going to add at least an hour if not more to your travel time - not subtract from it. I would actually estimate that it could add up to 2 hrs for you to cross at Sarnia originating in Chicago depending on traffic. I'd consider crossing via the tunnel at Detroit/Windsor instead (the Ambassador is in the hood, so don't do that!). I am originally from MI and make that trip quite frequently so I've done it any number of ways. The only reason I cross at Sarnia is that I need to be on 96 because I am going north - whereas you are coming from the south.