PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding Book

star04
05-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for a great breastfeeding book? Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
05-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I liked "The Nursing Mother's Handbook" by Kathleen Huggins more than the La Leche League's book. I found "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears to be helpful with all things, including bf'ing.

kellymom.com is *the* link to bookmark for bf'ing questions. I referred to it probably more than any of my books because it is so comprehensive and helpful.

Beth

justincase
05-08-2009, 06:55 PM
I liked "The Nursing Mother's Handbook" by Kathleen Huggins more than the La Leche League's book. I found "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears to be helpful with all things, including bf'ing.

kellymom.com is *the* link to bookmark for bf'ing questions. I referred to it probably more than any of my books because it is so comprehensive and helpful.

Beth

:yeahthat: ITA with all of the above! :)

nrp
05-08-2009, 06:57 PM

Beth

I didn't read the Sears book, but I also loved The Nursing Mother's Companion as well as kellymom.com. Both are terrific resources.

Momof3Labs
05-08-2009, 09:18 PM
I found that the best way to gain bf'ing knowledge was the combo of a good breastfeeding class (with support of the LCs available after birth - most hospitals offer this) with kellymom.com

And we've had a lot of good bf'ing threads here, too!

WatchingThemGrow
05-08-2009, 09:46 PM
For another general feeding book - starts with BF but goes on to include solids up through the teen years, Ellyn Satter's Child of Mine is a classic.

ahrimie
05-09-2009, 02:57 AM
I didn't read the Sears book, but I also loved The Nursing Mother's Companion as well as kellymom.com. Both are terrific resources.

:yeahthat:

KarenLud
05-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I read So That's What They're For which was a pretty quick read with some good info. But I agree with the others..kellymom and la leche league's websites are great!

jerseygirl07067
05-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Another vote for the Nursing Mother's Companion by Kathleen Huggins and for kellymom.com!

I will say that before I had my first, I never bought a book beforehand, but a friend gave me a little book called Nursing - the First Two Months. It's actually just 60 pages taken directly from the Nursing Mother's Companion, made into a little book. Interestingly, it's often in the "breastfeeding" formula bags you get when you leave the hospital. I just got another copy which was great since my old one was stained badly with breastmilk! But nonetheless, it's a really good little book. It hits a lot of what you need to know for the first two months and is easy to read without getting too technical.

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I knew I got the title wrong. Handbook just didn't sound right. The Nursing Mothers' Companion is the book I meant.

I also liked this ancient book called "Bestfeeding" that my SIL gave me because it had great pictures that were very helpful.

Beth

pamxch
05-09-2009, 10:49 PM
I read "So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide 3rd edition" by Janet Tamaro (http://www.amazon.com/Thats-What-Theyre-Definitive-Breastfeeding/dp/159337285X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241923435&sr=8-1).

I really liked it. It was humorous and really made me want to stick with breastfeeding, even in the beginning when it was so painful. When maternity leave ended, I found I really related to the anecdotes in the book about other women's experiences pumping at work.

JTsMom
05-09-2009, 11:12 PM
I also really liked So That's What They're For. LLL's Womanly Art of BF'ing is good too, but a tad preachy at times. Just take what works for you and leave the rest, and I think it's a keeper.