PDA

View Full Version : Buggster vs Perego Si

mrsvt0
05-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm lost in so much stroller research! I have a 15 month tall boy (always between 90 to 97 percentail) My husband is tired that i'm always changing my mind on strollers... and i'd like to settle for one once for all!

Originally bought a Maclaren Quest, love how the compact size and folding but hate the tippiness, barely access to the basket and the worse of it , the wheels. Just with one walk in the neighborhood going on a sidewalk with little gravel the wheels already had little wholes! So decided this is not for me, just for the wheels!

So now I just got a Buggster, but i guess I got an older model since the harness is like the old Mac with buckles (very hard to open!), doesn't have a strap nor a handle, and the breaks seems hard to operate and get locked fairly easily. Seems that the folding will take some time to get used to.. but love the extra rain cover, footmuff, UV protection, larger hood, tall/cushy seat (since my boy is long), not too tall handles (i'm 5'4 and husband 5'7),and easy to access basket. I haven't taken out for a walk yet in case i decide (once again...) that this is not the right stroller.

I just saw the Perego Si reviews. It seems like the perfect umbrella stroller and with better wheels to handle rough neighborhood sidewalks - but no good rain cover, hood seems ok size and don't know if it'll hold a tall boy.

Please help! Should i just keep my buggster or take a second look at the Perego SI? I'd have been happy with the Mac Quest if the wheels would be better...

salsah
05-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Go for the SI. It looks/sounds great! The canopy is actually excellent. If you find that you really need the rain cover, I'm sure that you can find one that will fit.

mrsvt0
05-08-2009, 07:12 PM
How do the Perego SI compares to the Buggster? I want to make sure my tall boy will last in the SI. I want this stroller to be the last one! :D Also, wich canopy is longer from the 2?

WatchingThemGrow
05-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Honestly, I think you're looking at the wrong type of stroller.

If you want to walk outside around the neighborhood, I think you need to get something with air tires.

strollerqueen
05-08-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm lost in so much stroller research! I have a 15 month tall boy (always between 90 to 97 percentail) My husband is tired that i'm always changing my mind on strollers... and i'd like to settle for one once for all!

Originally bought a Maclaren Quest, love how the compact size and folding but hate the tippiness, barely access to the basket and the worse of it , the wheels. Just with one walk in the neighborhood going on a sidewalk with little gravel the wheels already had little wholes! So decided this is not for me, just for the wheels!

So now I just got a Buggster, but i guess I got an older model since the harness is like the old Mac with buckles (very hard to open!), doesn't have a strap nor a handle, and the breaks seems hard to operate and get locked fairly easily. Seems that the folding will take some time to get used to.. but love the extra rain cover, footmuff, UV protection, larger hood, tall/cushy seat (since my boy is long), not too tall handles (i'm 5'4 and husband 5'7),and easy to access basket. I haven't taken out for a walk yet in case i decide (once again...) that this is not the right stroller.

I just saw the Perego Si reviews. It seems like the perfect umbrella stroller and with better wheels to handle rough neighborhood sidewalks - but no good rain cover, hood seems ok size and don't know if it'll hold a tall boy.

Please help! Should i just keep my buggster or take a second look at the Perego SI? I'd have been happy with the Mac Quest if the wheels would be better...

It does come with a rain cover. I live in So Cal, so I always forget about those, lol! Thanks for reminding me; I will add it to the review. (It also comes with straps for a car seat.)

strollerqueen
05-08-2009, 10:59 PM
How do the Perego SI compares to the Buggster? I want to make sure my tall boy will last in the SI. I want this stroller to be the last one! :D Also, wich canopy is longer from the 2?

I do have both, and like both. The Buggster has a wider seat, and is wider overall. I have the measurements posted; I will check them. It also has a lot of great extras. Both weigh about the same. The Si' has a bigger canopy, is easier to fold, is narrower, has height adjustable handles, and comes with a raincover. But I do agree that air tires makes for smoother outdoor strolling.

mrsvt0
05-09-2009, 02:56 AM
I know i'm probably asking too much for a umbrella/light weight stroller. But I don't want to have more than 1 stroller - a jogging stroller And a shopping stroller And a travel stroller and so on :(

My boy is tall so need one that can last in terms of length/height. I do walk a bit around the neighborhood to go to the park or for coffee so i'm not jogging; and I take it in and out of the car a lot too.

Is the Si tippy like the Maclaren? I like that the canopy is bigger than the Buggster (the Buggster canopy is a good size already).

I do need a rain cover (I live in Seattle) I like the Buggster has it as extas including the footmuff and the UV protection which makes it a bit darker to take naps. Decisions...Decisions...

Are the Si tires rubbery like the Buggster? what about in terms of size? (I used to have a Snap and Go. I took it everywhere and the wheels didn't get any little holes like the Mac did. So I was very surprised a cheap stroller will hold better)

strollerqueen
05-09-2009, 02:35 PM
I know i'm probably asking too much for a umbrella/light weight stroller. But I don't want to have more than 1 stroller - a jogging stroller And a shopping stroller And a travel stroller and so on :(

My boy is tall so need one that can last in terms of length/height. I do walk a bit around the neighborhood to go to the park or for coffee so i'm not jogging; and I take it in and out of the car a lot too.

Is the Si tippy like the Maclaren? I like that the canopy is bigger than the Buggster (the Buggster canopy is a good size already).

I do need a rain cover (I live in Seattle) I like the Buggster has it as extas including the footmuff and the UV protection which makes it a bit darker to take naps. Decisions...Decisions...

Are the Si tires rubbery like the Buggster? what about in terms of size? (I used to have a Snap and Go. I took it everywhere and the wheels didn't get any little holes like the Mac did. So I was very surprised a cheap stroller will hold better)

The Si' tires are the best I've seen on any umbrella stroller, period. They are similar to the ones on the Bug Bee, if you've seen that. The canopy is also the best I have seen on a lightweight. The Si' is not at all tippy. It is very stable like the P3.

mrsvt0
05-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Great! Thanks for all input. Now need to get a good deal on the SI :)

chozen
05-09-2009, 08:15 PM
i dont know if this is a good source or not. does anyone else here know about baby dealz.com?

pastrygirl
05-09-2009, 08:29 PM
The Si' tires are the best I've seen on any umbrella stroller, period. They are similar to the ones on the Bug Bee, if you've seen that. The canopy is also the best I have seen on a lightweight. The Si' is not at all tippy. It is very stable like the P3.Would you use the Si' regularly on asphalt, particularly if it's crumbling? Our driveway and roads are not in the best shape. We have no sidewalks. I've always sworn by air tires, but now this stroller has my interest! I don't walk for exercise; during good weather, I might go for a walk once a week or every two weeks. Though I think I did walk a lot more when my son was a newborn...

mimi2008
05-10-2009, 12:45 AM
There's a sale for Peg Si, mystrollers.com. $224.10.

jamesoja
05-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Mystrollers dot com has them for $224.10 + Free Shipping. That is the best deal I have found. I too am very interested in purchasing this product.

mimi2008
05-10-2009, 12:34 PM
I looked at the manual for the peg si. It's on the PP website. there's a completo Si that comes with a footmuff (boot) but I guess in the US, we have the sportivo Si, which does not have a footmuff. Also, the manual says that to recline the stroller, you have to pull on a lever on either side of the stroller at the same time. I guess that unlocks the backrest, then you can pull it down. Strollerqueen says you can do it one-handed, so does that mean that you only have to pull on the one side and it unlocks the recline or that need to do both sides but can pull on it one at a time, not necessarily at the same time?

I think I've narrowed my choices down to the Peg Si and the new zooper twist, which is suppose to be out this friday. I tried the Mac at BRU this weekend. too tippy for my big diaper bag.

MNmomtobe
05-10-2009, 01:00 PM
I looked at the manual for the peg si. It's on the PP website. there's a completo Si that comes with a footmuff (boot) but I guess in the US, we have the sportivo Si, which does not have a footmuff. Also, the manual says that to recline the stroller, you have to pull on a lever on either side of the stroller at the same time. I guess that unlocks the backrest, then you can pull it down. Strollerqueen says you can do it one-handed, so does that mean that you only have to pull on the one side and it unlocks the recline or that need to do both sides but can pull on it one at a time, not necessarily at the same time?

I think I've narrowed my choices down to the Peg Si and the new zooper twist, which is suppose to be out this friday. I tried the Mac at BRU this weekend. too tippy for my big diaper bag.

Unless Zooper has significantly improved the steering on the Twist, I wouldn't look twice at it. I have the 2006 and the steering is awful.

strollerqueen
05-11-2009, 12:31 PM

The recline is similar to the Maclarens, with a slider bar on each side. I have not tried doing it at the same time. I have just reclined one side (push the slider back) and then the other. So technically I guess it is "one-handed, two steps", same as the fold.

strollerqueen
05-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Would you use the Si' regularly on asphalt, particularly if it's crumbling? Our driveway and roads are not in the best shape. We have no sidewalks. I've always sworn by air tires, but now this stroller has my interest! I don't walk for exercise; during good weather, I might go for a walk once a week or every two weeks. Though I think I did walk a lot more when my son was a newborn...

I did push it around on asphalt, and it was great. But it was smooth, not crumbling. I think for that, I would still use air tires. It would be better than most umbrellas, and I'm sure it would work fine for a lot of people, but I am pretty picky. Have you looked at the MB Swift? Cute little stroller with air tires. It would be just a bit bigger than the Si'.

mrsvt0
05-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Mystrollers dot com has them for $224.10 + Free Shipping. That is the best deal I have found.

I've noticed the pic shows a buckle harness, but not the red circle. Maybe that's why it's cheaper?. I find that some haness with buckles are just to hard to open! I prefer the one push button.

If there's a difference in the buckle - anybody know if there are other differences???:confused:

mimi2008
05-14-2009, 12:54 AM
After hours and hours of research, I finally decided on the Peg Si. got it on mystrollers.com for $224.10, no tax, free shipping. I got it in the plain red. It looks great in the brochure. The papaia is out of stock already FYI.

I noticed the buckles too. If you look at the pics of the striped corralo, it has the round button harness and the other colors sometimes have regular buckles and sometimes have the round button. Strollerqueens pics (striped corralo) has the regular (non-round) buckles. I hope it isn't too hard to undo.

Thanks to all for the advice, esp strollerqueen for the great review. Can't wait for my stroller to arrive.

lava5000
05-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Let us know when you get it, and how you like it!!!:bighand:

I wonder if you can attach a snack tray to it?

strollerqueen
05-14-2009, 05:15 PM
After hours and hours of research, I finally decided on the Peg Si. got it on mystrollers.com for $224.10, no tax, free shipping. I got it in the plain red. It looks great in the brochure. The papaia is out of stock already FYI.

I noticed the buckles too. If you look at the pics of the striped corralo, it has the round button harness and the other colors sometimes have regular buckles and sometimes have the round button. Strollerqueens pics (striped corralo) has the regular (non-round) buckles. I hope it isn't too hard to undo.

Thanks to all for the advice, esp strollerqueen for the great review. Can't wait for my stroller to arrive.

You are welcome! Let us know how you like it! :)

swissair81
05-14-2009, 07:33 PM
My dh thinks I'm insane that I need another one, but he said I can get one if I want. Now, what color...I think I like the corallo stripe.

swissair81
05-14-2009, 07:40 PM
BTW, mystrollers.com has the si for $224.10 until 5/31. Thought I'd mention it in case someone is interested. It's the lowest price I've seen around.

WatchingThemGrow
05-14-2009, 09:35 PM
BTW, mystrollers.com has the si for $224.10 until 5/31. Thought I'd mention it in case someone is interested. It's the lowest price I've seen around.

They're on ebates for another 3% also!

mrsvt0
05-15-2009, 02:30 AM
[QUOTE=mimi2008;2371779] I noticed the buckles too. If you look at the pics of the striped corralo, it has the round button harness and the other colors sometimes have regular buckles and sometimes have the round button. Strollerqueens pics (striped corralo) has the regular (non-round) buckles. I hope it isn't too hard to undo.
QUOTE]

Let us know about the buckle -if you indeed got the red round button or the buckle. I don't understand why there would be 2 types. It's a new release. I would understand if this is an improved/newer model...

mrsvt0
05-15-2009, 02:34 AM
They're on ebates for another 3% also!

I want to order!! but i'm going on vacation next week and don't want to have my stroller sitting outside for over 2 weeks :(

WatchingThemGrow
05-15-2009, 06:43 AM
I want to order!! but i'm going on vacation next week and don't want to have my stroller sitting outside for over 2 weeks :(
Can't you have a neighbor pick it up or ask them to ship it later?

banzai75x
05-15-2009, 11:31 AM
I just received mine. I ordered it in Corallo red. The buckle is not a round buckle but 2 buckles. However it is still easy to snap in and undo.

mrsvt0
05-15-2009, 06:25 PM
I just received mine. I ordered it in Corallo red. The buckle is not a round buckle but 2 buckles. However it is still easy to snap in and undo.

Where did you buy it from?

mrsvt0
05-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Can't you have a neighbor pick it up or ask them to ship it later?

Not a bad idea, but neighbords are not around... I don't think shipment can be "postponed" when it's an online transaction.

chozen
05-15-2009, 06:50 PM
is it all you expected? we want to hear about ewhat you think.:wavey:

mimi2008
05-22-2009, 01:17 AM
:yay: It doesn't feel plasticy like a graco or the other peg models. The harness buckle is not the red round button, but it is easy to unbuckle so I don't mind it at all. It has a good large canopy and you can unbutton it from the back of the seat. You can then rotate the canopy all the way forward to block the sun when the seat is in recline. It has a very deep almost flat recline but to recline it, you have to pull on these levers on the sides of the seat. It's easy to do but of course, a single lever at the back of the seat would have been better. It's a pretty tall stroller. The seat seems a good distance from the ground, which allows for a large basket underneath. It does steer very well but I've only pushed it around in the house. I'll know more after i take it out this weekend. I'm very happy with it so far.

I'm glad I didn't get the mac XLR-- the 2009 xlr has the 1-handed recline but it's just as heavy as the si, it's tippy, smaller basket, and costs $100 more.

strollerqueen
05-22-2009, 02:21 AM
I'm glad you like it! It's a nice stroller.

mrsvt0
05-25-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm glad I didn't get the mac XLR-- the 2009 xlr has the 1-handed recline but it's just as heavy as the si, it's tippy, smaller basket, and costs $100 more.

So it's pretty heavy! If it weights as much as a Mac XLR (definately heavier than Quest :S)

mimi2008
05-26-2009, 12:40 AM
yes, 16.5lbs is heavier than I thought it would feel (wish it was actually 12lbs like it was advertised) but the Si pushes so easily, even with the 2yo in it. I didn't realize how difficult it was to steer my zooper twist until I compared it to my new Peg Si. What a difference! It takes almost no effort to push the Si. The zooper twist definately has the better canopy though, but the Si's canopy is still very large for an umbrella stroller.

By the way, there's a new video on the si. babystrollerdemonstrations.com. take a look.

chozen
05-26-2009, 12:07 PM
and i cant find it. do i just type in the babystrollerdemonstration.com?

mimi2008
05-26-2009, 12:27 PM
oh, it's plural, with an s at the end. babystrollerdemonstrations.com

chozen
05-26-2009, 01:04 PM
is there anything you dont like about the si? does the legrest have more then two positions up or down? does the seat sit up very straight? also can you steer it one handed and is the seat back very tall for bigger children? thank so much for your help.:D

mrsvt0
05-26-2009, 03:49 PM
By the way, there's a new video on the si. babystrollerdemonstrations.com. take a look.

Thanks for the info on the video - i was looking for one a long time ago.. I can see the seat it's exposed, so i guess it's a thick, cushy type of seat (because it doesn't close like the typical umbrella stroller)

mrsvt0
05-26-2009, 03:54 PM
is there anything you dont like about the si? does the legrest have more then two positions up or down? does the seat sit up very straight? also can you steer it one handed and is the seat back very tall for bigger children? thank so much for your help.:D

I also want to know about the sit - I have a tall boy and hope it'll last in it for a while. My boy slouches in the Quest so hope this one will sit-up straight

mimi2008
05-27-2009, 12:40 AM
the seat is very well padded, it's not a flimsy hammock seat. Both of my sons seem to sit up fine in it, not slouchy. The backrest is well supported. I don't have the dimensions of the seats but I think strollerqueen has it on her review. The leg rest only has 2 positions, up and down. can I steer it one handed-- I can guide it one-handed but you probably need two hands to turn a tight corner but it is a very nice push, very easy. The easy steering is my favorite feature of the stroller.

What I don't like so far about the Si, the recline mechanism is what bugs me the most. It's easy to do but as I said before, I'd prefer a 1-handle recline. I think the canopy could be better. It's a large canopy but when you pull it all the way down, the kid inside can't see out (my twist canopy had a window he could look thru). also, you can't fold it up unless the basket underneath is fairly empty, which I guess is true for most umbrella strollers ---except for the twist, i've forgotten water bottles, shopping bags, umbrellas in there and keep the raincover and uv cover nin there at all times.