PDA

View Full Version : I never thought it would happen to us...

misshollygolightly
05-08-2009, 07:07 PM
but our Jardine crib has been frickin' frackin recalled!!! I know I've read horror stories here and elsewhere about the hassle and customer service nightmare that crib recalls involve. Any tips or words of wisdom? I haven't submitted our info yet, but my understanding is that once I do so the Jardine people (curses on them!) will somehow (when? how?) send us a voucher for x amount of credit towards the purchase of a new crib at Babies R Us. Sounds relatively simple, but I have many questions and I thought I'd try you lovely folks instead of asking the Jardine people (who probably have no idea what's going on and don't care in the least about the inconvenience to me!). Question 1: What do we do with our current crib--mail it back, take it the store, keep it, what? Question 2: So we bought a matching Jardine changing table. I don't want one Jardine Antique Walnut Capri changing table and some totally random, non-matching other crib. Am I stuck with mismatch furniture here for the rest of DS's time at home (it's a "lifetime" crib and we were planning on using it and the matching changing table thing for his bedroom furniture indefinitely)? Currently, it doesn't look like Jardine or any other BRU brands have any cribs in a similar style or stain. Question 3: Is there a gap between when we have to get rid of the current crib and when we get the voucher for the new one...during which time DS is supposed to just sleep in a PNP or something? Question 4: We had to pay to rent a pickup truck to get the first crib home (box wouldn't fit in either of our compact cars). Who is going to pay to transport this new crib to our house? GRRRRR. Such a pain. Suggestions? BTDT advice?

tny915
05-08-2009, 07:21 PM
I don't have a Jardine crib, but I know the frustration of crib recalls. My Storkcraft crib was recalled a few months back. Storkcraft sent everyone replacement parts, but it ended up taking them probably about 4 months to do so.

As soon as I heard about our recall, I perused craigslist and bought a replacement crib. I'd already had a changing table (from Jardine, incidentally)and was able to find a crib that was close enough in stain and design that they look good together. Matching wasn't my priority, but it was nice that they did.

If I were you, I'd start shopping for a new crib now. You could always use the voucher for diapers or toys or whatnot, and I wouldn't want to rely on BRU to get these things out quickly. They very well may, but this is just what I would (and did) do.

jgenie
05-08-2009, 07:35 PM
If I were you, I'd start shopping for a new crib now. You could always use the voucher for diapers or toys or whatnot, and I wouldn't want to rely on BRU to get these things out quickly. They very well may, but this is just what I would (and did) do.

I believe the voucher in the last go round could only be used for another crib purchase. I know there were people on the board that were directly affected. I'm sure they'll chime in soon. Sorry you're having to deal with this.

mamaoftwins
05-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Both of our cribs were recalled in the last batch before this one. It was not that much of a pain to be honest. You must: disassemble all the hardware from the crib and send to Jardine in the envelope that they will send you once you put the request in at the website. They will then send you a voucher good for the retail price of your crib (which happened to be abt $30 more than we originally paid) and the voucher can ONLY be used at BRU to buy ANOTHER crib. (This process took about 10days and the guys slept in our PnPs for that time.) The shopping part was a pain b/c the floor was stocked with cribs that were more expensive than ours; the only similarly priced were other Jardines (no way!). We ended up shelling out $30 more per crib b/c they were more expensive than our voucher.

If you call Jardine and tell them what crib you have, they will tell you how much you will get for it. I did this, was on hold for like 30secs and took 30secs to answer my question. Very quick.

***You can (and I would suggest you do this if you can) go to BRU and order a crib now, pay for it, then take your voucher back to BRU when you receive it and get a credit back in the amount of your voucher. Our cribs took about 2wks to receive, and by the time they came in, I had our vouchers.

It was a pain overall b/c I had to take apart two cribs, set up PnPs and put two new cribs together. But ... our new cribs are way nicer than our Jardines were and we didn't pay that much more money for them. ;) We got Babi Italia Pinehurst (IIRC) in Espresso. They're quite nice.

Good luck. Again, the process wasn't too bad. I think (unfortunately) Jardine and BRU are well versed in these recalls now after having so many cribs come before ours. Hope it goes smoothly for you.

HTH!

ETA: To answer your other questions, you will have to dispose of the wood from your crib, and take care of the transport of the new crib, unless you can get them to ship it to your house. The hardware will have to go to Jardine as above in order to get your voucher. There is nothing to be done for a non-matching changing table. (And believe me, I tried.) Ours is the antique walnut as well and it totally does not match our cribs now. They will not take back the changing table. :( I just sold ours on CL and will probably get a new one to match the cribs if we have another baby.

MamaMolly
05-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Oooh, welcome to the club. Sorry you got to join.

Dang, the computer ate my post!!

I had this long, witty sarcastic answer. But since everyone has done such a great job answering the questions I'll toss in:

The pre-paid envelope you will get from Jardine is good for up to 1lb. You are supposed to put the bolts from your crib in it and mail them to Jardine as proof that the crib is no longer in use. Just double check that the envelope of bolts weighs no more than 1lb. You can do this when you take it to the UPS store to drop it off. There were some postings on the BBB Blog about how vouchers were held up because overweight packages weren't shipped.

In the case of our recall, BUR did refund the shipping charges if you had your new crib shipped to your home, but it was a separate transaction from the voucher and *you had to ASK for it**!! (At my BRU I was the only customer to ask!! 300k cribs recalled and I was the ONLY ONE. Mind boggling.) Plus the manager had to call corporate and find out if they were supposed to do it. Don't know if they will still do this but I highly recommend pushing for it.

We were also SOL with the changing table. A lovely green. So I got a long, low white dresser on Freecycle and bought DD a white crib and freecycled the changing table.

You are responsible for tossing out the rest of the old crib. For the record I will be your new best friend if you take it back to BRU. Seriously, if I still had my crib parts I'd do it and I'm kinda pi$$ed with myself that I didn't think of it. How awesome would it have been if we had all done that?!?!?! FAN FREAKIN' TASTIC.

If you do decide to order your crib online, print the receipt when you purchase it and take that, the shipping label/receipt that comes on the box and your voucher to BRU for the return. On the BBB Blog there were stories of different BRUs demanding different paperwork so you want to have your bases covered.

And GOOD LUCK! Hope you find a nice safe crib.

lorinick
05-09-2009, 03:25 AM
I'm sorry for the PIA your going through. I'd order a new crib pay the 20% and wait to get the check to pick up crib. BRU is rather good with this since it happens again. BRU and Jardine will be no longer than will not be carrying that brand any longer at least where I live. As pp poster stated the other brands carried at the store are more money than the Jardine brand. We also have a Baby Italia it's made very well and solid and have used it for many years and has never has a recall. But I would start shopping now. I know the stain in that color is hard to get ask even any crib comes in that finish.

Indianamom2
05-09-2009, 09:49 AM
I just went through this about a month ago. A couple other posters have answered most of your questions, but I'll throw in my two cents too.

As others have said, you will have to call Jardine and they will send you out a packet with paperwork to fill out and instructions on what small parts they will need from your current crib to be sent back. Once they receive the parts, they will send out a voucher good for the highest retail purchase price. It will only be useable at BRU/TRU. Supposedly you can also use it online and have the shipping charges refunded, but good luck with that. If your BRU is anything like mine, they won't have a clue.

The biggest issue for me is that anything that isn't Jardine (or equally junk) at BRU, will be quite a bit more expensive (think around a $100-150 more). No way were we doing Jardine again, so we ended up with a Baby Cache crib this time. (I have a whole other post about this experience in the *itching thread because it was quite the ordeal). It doesn't match our other furniture (not Jardine, but the same finish) and on that account you are completely out of luck. Jardine/BRU does not care how this inconveniences you, trust me. They are out to get their money on this deal, end of story.

As for transporting the crib, again unfortunately, you are out of luck. We also had to rent a truck to get the new crib home. Thankfully, we only had to pay an extra $20 for that, but all told, we've been forced to shell out around $200 for this recall.

I would also highly suggest that you quickly go buy and order the new crib, because they will be backordered due to this latest round of recalls. You can be refunded once the voucher is received.

My only word of advice that no one else mentioned is to document everything you do. For example, it occured to me that once I sent that package off, I had no more proof of owning that recalled crib. If the package got lost, I was out of luck. So I took pictures of the crib, of all the hardware I sent in, of the letter I received and filled out to send back in, of the package and the tracking slip from UPS, etc... Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but I couldn't afford to lose that promise of a voucher. I also would call a few days after you send the package back in and verify that it was received by Jardine and ask for an estimated time when the voucher will be sent to you.

Good luck. Having BTDT, I don't envy you, but at least you will have the consolation of having much safer, better quality furniture for your kids.

Christina

edurnemk
05-09-2009, 12:31 PM
We have Jardine Crib, but ours hasn't been recalled (so far), but the same model in a different stain has (we have the Natural Americana, the recalled one is the Pecan Americana). However, with so many recalls, I'm uneasy about using our crib. I mean they keep adding models to the recall, they could just a easily decide in a few months that ours is dangerous, too. And since they already decided one just like ours but in a different stain is not safe, doesn't that mean that our crib could be unsafe too, I mean it's contructed in the same way, right?

So anyway, I've been toying wiht the idea of selling ours and getting a new one (but I'd feel bad about selling it to someone knowing it may be recalled). I don't know if DH will agree. But we may be moving abroad in a couple months (we won't know for sure for about another month). And If my crib gets recalled once we've moved, I won't be able to redeem the voucher, and I'll have to pay for a new one anyway (and they're more expensive abroad).

So, should I keep it and wait to see if it's recalled? WWYD?

BTW, the reason we got the Jardine was that they hadn't had any recalls then and the BB book said the Jardine cribs were pretty decent. :banghead: I will never again buy furniture made in Asia.

tmphilo
05-09-2009, 12:44 PM
I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...we had a recalled Jardine crib back in June. We had also bought matching pieces (armoire in our case). After submitting the information to Jardine they were quick to mail the envelope and I want to say after we mailed back the hardware we received the voucher within a week. I called and talked to corporate regarding the matching set issue and they basically told me...sorry we didn't recall the other pieces and when your child moves to their full size bed you can have a matching set again. The hardware they make you send back is only the pieces that make you able to use it as a crib. Check with BRU - when I explained the situation regarding the matching set, they tried to see if they could return it, but since we had bought our crib in December (prior calendar year) and the recall wasn't until late June, they were unable to return our armoire. I was given the impression that this may be a possible option - store credit for your matching piece although this wasn't the case with us.

Our voucher ended up being more than we paid for the other one (esp because we had gotten it on sale) and I tried to match at least the color (no similar styles were available). I figure that DD has a mismatched set, but we saved her old crib for the full-size bed and then the next DC already has a crib (the new crib). So for next DC we'll just have to buy the other pieces (although we prob won't be able to get matching at that point). Sorry so long, hope this helps!

MamaMolly
05-09-2009, 11:32 PM
We have Jardine Crib, but ours hasn't been recalled (so far), but the same model in a different stain has (we have the Natural Americana, the recalled one is the Pecan Americana). However, with so many recalls, I'm uneasy about using our crib. I mean they keep adding models to the recall, they could just a easily decide in a few months that ours is dangerous, too. And since they already decided one just like ours but in a different stain is not safe, doesn't that mean that our crib could be unsafe too, I mean it's contructed in the same way, right?

So anyway, I've been toying wiht the idea of selling ours and getting a new one (but I'd feel bad about selling it to someone knowing it may be recalled). I don't know if DH will agree. But we may be moving abroad in a couple months (we won't know for sure for about another month). And If my crib gets recalled once we've moved, I won't be able to redeem the voucher, and I'll have to pay for a new one anyway (and they're more expensive abroad).

So, should I keep it and wait to see if it's recalled? WWYD?

BTW, the reason we got the Jardine was that they hadn't had any recalls then and the BB book said the Jardine cribs were pretty decent. :banghead: I will never again buy furniture made in Asia.

What is the reason for the recall? If it is slats or bolts breaking I'd consider replacing it. But if the problem is with the finish, say it is chipping or something, then it might not ever affect your crib. That would be what I would consider.

edurnemk
05-14-2009, 01:35 PM
What is the reason for the recall? If it is slats or bolts breaking I'd consider replacing it. But if the problem is with the finish, say it is chipping or something, then it might not ever affect your crib. That would be what I would consider.

The problem is the slats can break and become an entrapment hazard, I don't remember the exact words on the recall notice, but it is about the slats breaking, which is why I find it weird they only recalled the pecan finish.

MamaMolly
05-14-2009, 04:21 PM
The problem is the slats can break and become an entrapment hazard, I don't remember the exact words on the recall notice, but it is about the slats breaking, which is why I find it weird they only recalled the pecan finish.

OK, I'm with you on that. And I totally get the moving/new crib question. We were/are in a very similar situation and it is hard to know what to do. Honestly, I think I'd wait until the crib were recalled to get a new one through the voucher program, up until I had to pack out to move. If I were just about to move I'd eat the expense and buy one. HTH