PDA

View Full Version : Two cleaning questions....

Mamma2004
05-08-2009, 09:25 PM
We are getting closer to "moving in" - our master bedroom and bath are 95% finished so my mind is turning to cleaning the new bathroom.

1) We've never had a Corian-like countertop before. How on earth do I clean it on a daily basis? How do I get rid of stains? (I think I see newsprint from the workers) How do I disinfect w/o ruining the finish?

2) TRYING to go green - how can I clean the shower? the ceramic tile floor? the TOILET? For germs I'm big on Clorox but willing to convert.

Thanks, everyone!

C99
05-08-2009, 11:29 PM
No idea on #1. For #2, I use Method Pink Grapefruit spray for everything -- the toilet, sink, and tub/tile. When I need the big guns, I use either baking soda and elbow grease or Borax and elbow grease. For the ceramic file floor in my kitchen and bathroom, which I *hate* more than anything other flooring, I use hot vinegar and water.

geochick
05-08-2009, 11:57 PM
We've lived in our new house for 4 years. I guess it's not so new anymore. I made a vow that in the new house I'd never buy bar soap...only liquid soap. I hate cleaning soap scum. Anyway, I can say that after 4 years of being bar-free, I am a happy woman. Cleaning tubs and showers is so easy. The other thing I did is buy a squeegee and a chamois-type microfiber cloth that you would dry a car with (from the car section of Costco...pack of 12) for each bathroom. I've asked anyone who showered in my house to please squeegee my shower walls or dry with a cloth after each shower. Then I wash the cloths. This has really cut down on the amount of actual cleaning I've had to do...soap/dirt gets wiped away after each shower. It takes less than 60 seconds to do it after a shower. I use fewer cleaning products because my shower walls and tubs stay really clean. It took dh a few months to get used to the idea, but our glass-enclosed shower still looks like the day we moved in, so he's a convert.

Corian - NEVER use anything abrasive on it. Our builder said nothing stronger than Soft Scrub. I don't even use that. Occasionally I have to use something with bleach (Clorox kitchen spray works perfectly!!!) in it to whiten up the white sink or disinfect the counter, but normally, plain, hot water does the trick. Our builder also said not to use anything with vinegar in it (like Windex)...it would dull the finish.

Vinegar and HOT water on tile floors...make sure you seal the grout before moving in.

I always vote for Clorox in the bathrooms...especially for deep cleaning.

JTsMom
05-09-2009, 08:13 AM
#1, I have no idea on. #2- I use a combo of baking soda and TJ's liquid castille soap on the showers/tubs, vinegar and water with a couple drops of peppermint EO on the floors, and usually just some vinegar in the toilet, and vinegar/water/eo on the outside of it. I've also heard citric acid is great for cleaning the inside if you get staining/rings, but I haven't tried that yet.

Mamma2004
05-09-2009, 09:34 AM
I bought some TJ's liquid castille soap but have no idea how to use it. So I put it into a spray bottle with vinegar, baking soda, water, anything? Do I simply pour some onto a sponge or cloth?

I also bought some essential oils so I would love to make the house smell fresh (and not so laden with chemicals) when I clean.

Still open to suggestions!

Mamma2004
05-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Where can I find the Method Pink Grapefruit spray? That's my favorite scent so I would love to try it!