PDA

View Full Version : DS has hives....

MontrealMum
05-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Just went in to give DS his nightly top up of milk and check his diaper, something we've gotten in the habit of doing. He's got 3-4 small hives in his right leg, 1 on his tummy, and two huge (5 in across) welts on his upper thighs. Immediately gave him Benadryl and took off all his clothes to make sure that was all (it was). I am quite familiar w/ hives as I've had them myself many times, so I am sure that's what they are.

He is not wearing/has not worn any new clothing today - that hasn't been washed in our same old Tide free. I am assuming this is a food allergy? Dinner at home was all things he's had many times before. A trip to the Children's in the fall ruled out our previously suspected food allergy, so at this point, he has no known allergies. The daycare is peanut free, but I do not know all the ingredients of today's lunch/snacks - will certainly be asking on Mon. I am unaware if he was exposed to an animal during the day today, but I'd imagine that daycare would mention that.

Please help me not to freak about this. He has a bronchial cough right now because he also has a slight cold (me too)...and I am worried enough that I'm considering sleeping on the couch in his room; because I have no idea if he has hives inside as well. Should I have given a double dose of Benadryl? Or should I have used the Benadryl creme on top of the liquid? He's only 20 mos. so I'm wary about using too many meds.

DH is setting his alarm for 4 hrs. from now to give him another dose of Benadryl. Is there anything else I can do?

MamaMolly
05-09-2009, 12:20 AM
First a hug :grouphug: then my thoughts:

Given the time delay between lunch and the appearance of the hives I'd say it is unlikely that lunch is the culprit. Since he has a cold my first thought was that it might be viral hives. Some viruses cause them.

Have you bought a new box, bottle or carton of soap or detergent? They can change the formula on those, so even though it is the same kind it might have different ingredients.

I think you are wise to hold off on too much meds. You don't want to risk an overdose by doubling up on either the oral or the topical.

If you will sleep better if you are nearby, then by all means do it. Does your pediatrician have an after hours line? I'm all for calling when in doubt.

Good luck tonight, I'm hoping everyone gets some rest.

ett
05-09-2009, 12:29 AM
I think what you're doing is fine. DS2 broke out in hives all over his body several months ago. We called the allergist, since he has a food allergy and the doctor said that it didn't seem to be a reaction from food based on our descriptions. She said it could be from some kind of virus. She told us to give him benadryl or zyrtec and put hydrocortisone on if it's itchy. We didn't know at the time but we now think it is a reaction to the amoxicillin he was on. He got the hives the day after he finished his amox course.

I think the single dose of benadryl is fine. Our doctor never mentioned giving a double dose. The doctor said that sometimes you just get them and you really never figure out what caused them and then they just go away after a couple of days. So try not to worry about it if he's okay otherwise. :)

ett
05-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Given the time delay between lunch and the appearance of the hives I'd say it is unlikely that lunch is the culprit. Since he has a cold my first thought was that it might be viral hives. Some viruses cause them.

Our allergist said that a reaction from food should be pretty immediate, so it's probably not food related.

MontrealMum
05-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the reassurance :) I *may* still sleep on the couch in there, but that's just me - I get a little obsessive about things like this. I didn't know that food allergy reactions were usually so immediate, so it's good to hear that that is unlikely. I outgrew my food allergies, so I don't remember that aspect of them and it's too late to call my mom tonight.

I am not sure about our detergent (DH does the laundry) but will find out ASAP. I guess viral does make sense, he's had two viral (eczema-like) rashes so far this year during colds (+ ear infection). He's not pulling at his ears though, so I'm not sure if we should plan on going to the clinic tomorrow or not (if the hives are resolved). We don't have an after-hours number to call here, it's either the clinic until 8, and then the ER.

ThreeofUs
05-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the reassurance :) I *may* still sleep on the couch in there, but that's just me - I get a little obsessive about things like this.

Hey, Molly, how's DS this morning? I just caught your post (while all my guys are playing penguin and peacock games on the library floor beside me, lol)

ITA with pp's - and it sounded like you did just the right thing. I would have been really concerned and sleeping in his room, too.

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm prone to random hives. Well, I do know they are triggered by food but I have no idea what the ingredient is. They show up a few hours later (maybe 2-3 hours?? it's been a while luckily). I tested my theory by eating the restaurant leftovers one of the times this happened and indeed hives came back. Wish I knew what caused them b/c I would simply avoid that food. :)

He could have had the hives all day so you don't know if there timing is within the normal range for a food allergy. I'm sure you changed his diaper between then but I know sometimes I personally don't always inspect ds very carefully.

Hope all is well now.

Beth

dcmom2b3
05-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Hey Molly,

Just wanted to chime in that pollen could be the culprit, if you're in that season up there. Bunny (who's a walking hive right now) gets them every spring and fall. We do Benadryl orally with topical hydrocortisone on the worst itchy spots. And oatmeal baths (b/c mommy loves a tub cleaning challenge . . . .)

Hope DS is feeling better soon.

MontrealMum
05-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi everyone - thanks for all the well wishes and ideas :) I needed a bit of talking off the edge.

I dosed DS at 4 and 8am with Benadryl and the hives are now mysteriously gone. I wish I knew what had caused them because we do have so many allergies in our families, but at least he's OK for now. I did sleep on the sofa because I just needed to hear him breathe - nuts, I know, but I wouldn't have gotten any sleep otherwise. He's down for his nap now, so I think I may take one too since my neck and back didn't get much of a rest last night!

My first thought when I saw them at 11 was how could I have missed something like that when I put him to bed at 7 - and then realized, DH is the one that changed him then and *may* not have noticed, especially if they were still small at that point, and mixed in with his normal eczema (which comes and goes) it would have been hard. So, I am not quite sure how long he'd had them for.

Argh! We are awash in pollen here right now too and it's awful, plus the mold from all the rain, and there's the cold, and who knows what he had to eat for snack yesterday...too many factors to really know, but I guess we'll have to keep a closer watch out for awhile now. Why don't kids come with manuals?