PDA

View Full Version : THANK YOU Another plea for help with boys names -NEED to narrow it down

Happy 2B mommy
05-09-2009, 05:59 AM
UPDATE

Thank you for all the input! I've cut several names. DH knows that I've posted for help on names and that has caused him to FINIALLY start looking at suggestions and narrowing things down as well.

We don't know if DC2 is a boy or girl. While we have a good, short list for girls, we haven't made much progess for boys names.

I don't want something really popular or trendy. DD is named Claire Angeline (Angeline was for DH's wonderful Grandma). At the time, "Claire" was 96 on the SSA site. DH's last name is a common, 2 syllable word starting with "w" and ending with "ter". I've used nymbler to get names, but just can't seem to narrow it down and DH isn't feeling any pressure to discuss it.

Possible middle names are Joseph or William. These are family names on DH's dad's side. (EDD is DH's late father's Bday) I LOVE William, but it's too popular right now (8th,) We won't consider anything in the top ten and would like to avoid names in the top 50.

My List

Aaron
Benjamin
Byron
Colin
Connor
Clayton
Ian
Julian (DH's only suggestion.)
Karl (my dad's name. Also the name of my brother who died in infancy, so a little unsure about giving it to our child. But I really like the name- Esp with William or Joseph as middle. Would also consider this as a middle)

Kenton (our fav last time, but not the same love there this time around)
Joel
Logan (really popular right now)
Liam
Landon
Mitchell
Nathan or Nathaniel

Nolan (I love the name, but it's also the name of a friend from church. He and his daughter joined at the same time as DH and I did and a few folks think or have thought that I was married to him, not DH!!! I think it's mostly because we both run the sound board)

Owen (DD likes this one. She has the book "Owen and Mzee")
Reid
Simon
Seth

So, any thoughts? Is it silly to have concerns using "Karl" or "Nolan". DH thinks there might be with these names, but hasn't vetoed using them.

TIA

wellyes
05-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Oh, I love Karl. That would be such a gift for your parents, if they are still with you.

FYI "Owen" and "Liam" are both very, very popular right now - at least here in New England - I know several of each.

JBaxter
05-09-2009, 07:09 AM
I really like Owen , Mitchell Reid and Ian. ( and Logan Connor and Nathan LOL )
I really dont like Karl I would probably use it as a middle name but not a first name.

amldaley
05-09-2009, 07:20 AM
Karl Julian

JTsMom
05-09-2009, 07:44 AM
A friend of mine has both a Nathan and a Nolan- I really like both of those, but I think I would feel weird about using Nolan given the story about your friend from church. I'm really weird about names though- I have a mile long list of requirements. LOL

I really like a lot of the ones on your list. I think Byron sounds great with Claire. Benjamin is another favorite of mine. Karl is nice too, but I'd make sure you're 100% comfortable using it, b/c you sound pretty iffy about it.

Ceepa
05-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Similar to Nolan. Do you like Noble? It's not for everyone but I like it.

TwinFoxes
05-09-2009, 08:17 AM
I think all of these names are good ones, except Kenton, I don't care for that one at all, and Clayton which has a harsh sound to my ear.

My one issue with Colin, is the entire English speaking world pronounces it Call-in (which I like) but in the US people tend to pronounce it Coh-lon which is an organ in the body! I think Logan and Liam are both getting very popular but are nice names (Logan is my dog's name though!)

I'm a big fan of Benjamin, but I have a beloved Uncle Ben. I like Julian, I think it goes nicely with Claire.

I'm not usually one to recommend against a name just because someone you know has it, but in this case Nolan might cause more confusion than it's worth.

I think Karl makes a really nice middle name...it sounds so solid, it kind of goes with everything, kind of like Grace for a girl.

Momof3Labs
05-09-2009, 08:38 AM
My one issue with Colin, is the entire English speaking world pronounces it Call-in (which I like) but in the US people tend to pronounce it Coh-lon which is an organ in the body!

I could count on one hand the number of times the Coh-lon pronunciation has been used for my DS, and we live in the U.S. If this is a name that the OP loves, I would not at all discourage its use on this basis.

cvanbrunt
05-09-2009, 08:46 AM
I love Julian. Flows nicely with your last name.

gobadgers
05-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Wow, we have the same tastes, there is so much overlap between my 'long' list and yours! Some of my completely biased opinions on some of them:

I LOVE Benjamin, Colin, Logan, Nathan, Owen, Reid, we had all of these on our list! They all got eliminated because either DH or I associate them with someone very close. We know new babies named Nathan, Owen and Colin, I think they are all fairly popular right now FWIW. DH really liked Aaron, but I crossed it out because I've always had trouble with the Aaron/Erin confusion (i.e. upon hearing the name, it's unclear if it's the male or female version).

I also love Simon and Karl, both of which are still on our list! Karl is a name on DH's side... Carlton is on my side but this board has thankfully made me aware of the Fresh Prince assocation (and the Carlton Dance!), and we decided against using it.

I understand your hesitance to use Karl or Nolan. But if you like the name, I think Karl would be a great name to honor your family. I have a harder time saying with Nolan - I guess I tend to agree with PP that it could be more trouble than it's worth. You would probably have to explain every time you introduce your son to someone from church for a while, which could get tiresome. But it's so hard to find that name that sounds 'just right', and if this name is it then I would say it's worth it!

dogmom
05-09-2009, 08:49 AM
I would check out the Social Security Web site where you can track the most common 100 names for the last 100+ years AND check out the top 5 names in your state recently. The reason I say this is one name I was considering for my son was a top name in recent years, and I didn't want him to be the 3rd person in the class with the same name. It might help you narrow the list down.

http://www.ssa.gov/pressoffice/pr/baby-names2008-pr.htm

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Well, I say list be darned. If you love the name why does it really matter if it is in the top 10? There were 3 Lily's in ds1's preschool. Lily was not even in the top 50 for the year they were born and it was 64th in our state. You never know what name will be popular in your small little social circle. Some names are top 10 because they are classic and just sound good. I can honestly say U haven't met any babies named William and I see a fair number of babies in our daily lives. Plus, think about all the nicknames. Odds of you choosing the same nickname even if there are other Williams is probably small. Ok, off my soapboax for why you should just go with William- you love it, I love it. :)

Nathan, Benjamin, and Simon are my picks from your list. I especially love Benjamin. Dh vetoed it from my list and never gave me a reason. I just love it. I like Owen but where I live it is a very common name (see, it's hard to go off of the list! you just never know! I know 4 Owens though).

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2009, 09:01 AM
I could count on one hand the number of times the Coh-lon pronunciation has been used for my DS, and we live in the U.S. If this is a name that the OP loves, I would not at all discourage its use on this basis.

I have never heard it pronounced that way. Must be a regional thing.

Beth

Mamma2004
05-09-2009, 09:32 AM
I love the name Julian but don't think it flows with either Joseph or William as a middle name.

Julian Karl?
Benjamin William
Connor (or Conor) Joseph

Good luck!

clb
05-09-2009, 10:04 AM
You never know what name will be popular in your small little social circle.
Beth
I agree with Beth about names used in circles.
I know 3 boys (for each name) <18mo named Julian, Benjamin and Liam. I know a few boys with the other names on your list, but the three I mention are popular with the people I know.

gamma
05-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Karl William or William Karl ...... either sounds great together!

And when signing cards Claire and Karl goes together nicely.

pinkmomagain
05-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Owen and Connor are pretty popular around my neck of the woods. I've heard Nathan too. Don't love Karl. And Nolan sounds like it could be a little awkward with this person at church.

I was surprised to Seth on your list. That was more popular when I was growing up and you never hear it anymore. That might be a refreshing choice.

TwinFoxes
05-09-2009, 10:35 AM
I have never heard it pronounced that way. Must be a regional thing.

Beth

Colin Powell pronounces his name Co-lin. His Jamaican parents named him Cah-lin but people in his NY neighborhood pronounced it Co-lin and he went with it. I'm from California, and while everyone I knew named Colin (I knew two in college) pronounced it Cah-lin, they were constantly being called Co-lin.

I'm just saying I wouldn't name someone that, because I would be annoyed hearing Co-lin all of the time.

KrisM
05-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I think all of these names are good ones, except Kenton, I don't care for that one at all, and Clayton which has a harsh sound to my ear.

My one issue with Colin, is the entire English speaking world pronounces it Call-in (which I like) but in the US people tend to pronounce it Coh-lon which is an organ in the body! I think Logan and Liam are both getting very popular but are nice names (Logan is my dog's name though!)

I'm a big fan of Benjamin, but I have a beloved Uncle Ben. I like Julian, I think it goes nicely with Claire.

I'm not usually one to recommend against a name just because someone you know has it, but in this case Nolan might cause more confusion than it's worth.

I think Karl makes a really nice middle name...it sounds so solid, it kind of goes with everything, kind of like Grace for a girl.

Colin Powell is the only time I've heard it Coh-lon. Around here, in Michigan, it's Call-in.

Momof3Labs
05-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Colin Powell pronounces his name Co-lin. His Jamaican parents named him Cah-lin but people in his NY neighborhood pronounced it Co-lin and he went with it. I'm from California, and while everyone I knew named Colin (I knew two in college) pronounced it Cah-lin, they were constantly being called Co-lin.

I'm just saying I wouldn't name someone that, because I would be annoyed hearing Co-lin all of the time.

I think that was an issue 10-15 or so years ago when Colin Powell was in the news regularly and seemingly the only Colin out there, but I assure you that it is no longer an issue. 99.5% of the people who see "Colin" pronounce it Cah-lin. That doesn't mean that *you* should or would choose the name, but even if you did, you wouldn't hear Coh-lin "all the time". Trust me, I know.

Happy 2B mommy
05-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Karl William or William Karl ...... either sounds great together!

And when signing cards Claire and Karl goes together nicely.

Yes, I know. I really like Karl and William together (either combo) and Karl and Claire work nicely as sibling names. Karl Joseph sounds pretty nice to me, too. DH's late father's middle name was Joseph so that would be a nice tribute to both of our dads.

My dad is 86 and I know he won't be around long into our childrens' lives.

Snow mom
05-09-2009, 02:40 PM
My favorite boy name is Benjamin. I really wanted to use it if we had a boy but DH's last name starts with M and I couldn't give any child the initials BM. Here are others I like from your list:
Aaron
Colin
Clayton
Nathaniel
Owen
Simon
Seth

KpbS
05-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I like a lot of your name choices--faves are
Julian
Joel
Reid
Karl

I like Owen but it has been very popular for years now. I also like Seth and Mitchell.

I would probably use Karl as a middle name--William Karl is the best combo. My favorite first names don't flow as well w/ William and Joseph as middle names imo.

What about David as a middle name? I think it works well w/ a lot of the first name choices
Julian David
Joel David
etc.

GL

mom2binsd
05-09-2009, 04:40 PM
My brother is an Ian and I've always liked that one, I have a Logan and chose it not really realizing how popular it is but it doesn't bother us.

Sorry but I'm just not a fan of Simon....every time I hear it I think of the song "oh I know my name is Simon....and after watching Real Housewives of NYC the Simon on there is so creepy....

I love the name Benjamin as long as it doesn't get shortened to Benji...

I think Reid is very classic, and wanted Mitchell for DS but DH vetoed me.

mom2one
05-09-2009, 05:48 PM
You have to go with your gut and what you like. Everyone is different and has strong/different feelings about names. We chose a name that we thought would be a name that he could be proud of his whole life. I never wanted our DS to say "why did you name me that?!"

TwinFoxes
05-09-2009, 06:05 PM
I think that was an issue 10-15 or so years ago when Colin Powell was in the news regularly and seemingly the only Colin out there, but I assure you that it is no longer an issue. 99.5% of the people who see "Colin" pronounce it Cah-lin. That doesn't mean that *you* should or would choose the name, but even if you did, you wouldn't hear Coh-lin "all the time". Trust me, I know.

That's a very good point! Maybe his fame made people pronunce it his way for everyone.

ciw
05-09-2009, 08:03 PM
I like a lot of the names on your list. Several of them were on my list for DS: Seth -- one of my two FAVORITE names for a boy (Lucas is the other), Nathan/Nathaniel and Julian. And Nolan would have made the list too if I'd thought of it! DH only liked three names: the name we ultimately chose, Benjamin and Nicholas. I like Benjamin and Nicholas but am not crazy about Nick and can't stand Benji. So in the end it came down to Benjamin or DS's name. I'm not at all happy that the name we chose is in the list of top five most popular names. But Benjamin is also in the top 20 where we live and there's a very good chance he would not have been the only Benjamin in his class.
Ok, so this is long-winded but I'm getting to my point. I am SOOOOO glad we didn't go with Benjamin. As much as I love the name, there's a good chance we would have also used the nickname Ben. And that could have been a not-so-good thing. Why? Because it turns out DS is above the
100th percentile for height. He will almost certainly be the tallest kid in his class. So if there are two Bens in his class, chances are he'd be called "Big Ben." And as bad as that is, it would be even worse for the other Ben. Can you imagine being a teenage boy known as "Little Ben?"
I do really love the name Benjamin....I'd just think twice before using a nickname for it.

american_mama
05-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Do you think Karl would be meaningful to your parents? If so, that would have some weight. I like the name Nolan and wouldn't be too concerned about the church friend connection. You may not both attend the same church forever, and even while you do, just prepare yourself for a lot of "What can we say? We like the name" type responses. No one outside of church will make the connection.

I don't know how Benjamin or Owen, for instance, rank on the SS list, but I know several little boys named that, plus many more if you count boys and men of all ages. I like less common names on your list like Julian, Reid, Seth and Mitchell. I've also heard the name Clay several times lately, although I may notice it more because it's a family name for me, so Clayton scores for me as an up and coming name. I know a Barclay (with a son named Clay) who is neighbors to a Byron.

If you don't like popular, I would exclude Logan, Liam and Nathan (because of popularity) , as well as Landon and Kenton (because they sound very trendy.) I also know a couple little boys name Will, although only one who goes by William.

If Karl is heavy in the running, I would consider how that affects the other name choice. I would not put two one syllable names together, so that would exclud Reid, Seth and Joel.

Do you like Nash at all? It reminds me of Nolan. Or Noel as a boys name (rhymes with Joel)? My husband is a fan of star football player at WV Univ. named Noel Devine, so I hear the name often during the football season. Also, Adrian and Julian seem like similar names to me, but Julian is a bit more European sounding.

WitMom
05-09-2009, 10:17 PM
I like many of the names on your list, but wanted to weigh in with an opinion on Karl. If your daughter is Claire, I think having a son named Karl might be too similar sounding. Maybe not, I'm not sure. I have two daughters, both of whose names start with the letter "L". I didn't use the same letter on purpose, and I didn't think it would be a big deal, but if I was doing it over again, I would probably avoid it. It gets to be a real tongue twister...especially when you're in a hurry and trying to get one's attention. Just something to consider. Your reasons for using it may outweigh the above.

amandabea
05-09-2009, 10:51 PM
I really like many of the names on your list, although the popularity of some would keep me from using them.

I love the name Ben/Benjamin (really dislike Benji), but DH quickly rejected that from the list before we knew DD would be a girl.

Back to your list - my faves are:
Joel and Reid (but spelled Reed) -- both sound like strong, solid names and I like them with the longer middle names you're considering.
I also like Ian (my brother's name) followed by Julian and Seth -- both sound very sensitive or maybe that's based on people I knew with those names, but I don't like either one with William.

Good luck deciding. I'd just start striking through the ones you don't favor as much and then don't look back. Who knows, maybe you'll have another girl and all this will be for naught.

g-mama
05-09-2009, 11:04 PM
So many have commented that they like Benjamin but dislike 'Benji.' My middle ds is named Benjamin and no one has ever called him Benji. It's Ben or Benjamin. I wouldn't worry about that at all. It's a great name!

kransden
05-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Byron, Colin
Clayton (Will be Clay)
Julian (Will be teased and called Julia btw)
Karl , Kenton (Will be Ken)
Joel, Landon, Mitchell, Nathan or Nathaniel

All of these aren't typical names, and I would choose over the more popular ones you listed.

sste
05-10-2009, 01:05 AM
If you want to avoid names in the top 50, I would NOT use Benjamin, Colin, Connor, Logan, Liam, Nathaniel, or Owen. While some of those may not be in the top 50 ss list, if your demographic is anything like mine (or most other people on this board) they will be in the top 50 in your area, if not now then a few years from now.

I would not use Byron because I don't love it and the nickname is an unpleasant "By." For Mitchell, I don't love the nickname Mitch and he would inevitably be called Mitch.

I am not crazy about Kenton or Landon because they sound made-up to me and I think that always begs the question of whether they will stand the test of time. I don't like Nolan for the same reason and I wouldn't use it because of the church thing.

So, this leaves Aaron, ian, Clayton, Julian, Karl, Joel, Reid, Simon, and Seth.

Of those names, my favorites are Julian, Reid (a little preppy for me but a nice name), Simon, Seth, and Karl because of your family connection.

So, there is your short list!

Nooknookmom
05-10-2009, 04:41 AM
Julian reid :-)