PDA

View Full Version : Dear Idiot at the Zoo ...

mamaoftwins
05-09-2009, 09:18 AM
... Can you actually act scared and surprised at that silverback as he hurls himself at the window? You've been tormenting him already for the last few minutes that I've been standing here. I am disgusted at you. Banging on the window like that. And your jacka$$ husband is talking on the phone and laughing. And, your toddler son is standing right next to you. Way to set a good example. And to act upset when the rangers take you away? You're obviously a moron, and I'm sad for your adorable little son.

I am still fuming about this and it happened last night. I'm glad that two rangers came (after I called them!!!!) and 'removed' you and your family. Seriously, who behaves like that?!?!? Those gorillas are absolutely gorgeous and had I not been wearing my little boy on my back, I would have done more. But, you're a rather large angry-acting woman, and you gave me a horrid look and a nasty retort of 'mind your own business' after I came up next to you and said, 'it really upsets the gorillas to bang like that on the window'. The last thing I wanted was to get into a fight with my babies with me, and in front of your son. I truly hope you think about what you've done, although I doubt you will ever realize it. Those animals live there; how would you like someone banging on the windows at your house?

You're a stupid, stupid woman, and I hope your son grows up to appreciate life on this earth more than you obviously do.

Sincerely,
Someone who cares about the creatures on this Earth, and hopes that my children grow up to do the same.

nrp
05-09-2009, 09:47 AM
That would have burned me up too. What are people thinking (or not)? Good for you for calling the rangers.

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm glad the ranges did something. I guess no one taught her basic manners growing up...and sadly it looks like she is continuing the cycle with her little one.

Beth

mamaoftwins
05-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks, ladies. I was FUMING last night and this morning, but after I vented above, I started to calm down and now I really just feel sad. Sad for that woman, who obviously has no good sense, and mostly sad for her son (probably only 6mos or so older than my boys), who certainly could use a better role model in learning respect.

maestramommy
05-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Good grief! Do people still do stupid stuff like that?? Aren't there signs asking visitors not to disturb the animals? Glad you called the rangers on her!

MamaMolly
05-09-2009, 11:40 PM
.Those animals live there; how would you like someone banging on the windows at your house?.

This. I used to teach in a zoo and could never understand how someone can't get a concept as simple as this.

Good for you for sticking up for being kind to ALL creatures!

mamaoftwins
05-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Good grief! Do people still do stupid stuff like that?? Aren't there signs asking visitors not to disturb the animals? Glad you called the rangers on her!

Yes! There are like 4 signs within an 100ft span around that window. That's actually where I got the number to call, right from one of those signs!

I'm actually writing a letter to the zoo now telling them about the situation, just to make sure everyone up there knows (although I'm sure they made a note of having to remove someone) - it may be nice to have an employee wander around up there every so often. They do have employees around in other places, like the penguins for example, where you're pretty close to them. They at least need to have cameras to be able to watch for that kind of thing. It would have been horrible if that gorilla had hurt himself by lunging at the window at that woman.

mamaoftwins
05-10-2009, 09:43 AM
This. I used to teach in a zoo and could never understand how someone can't get a concept as simple as this.

Yes, I know, seems pretty easy, right? I expect, unfortunately, that this lady was not an isolated incident. I wonder if people ever consider the stress that they put animals under by bugging them like that? *sigh*

brittone2
05-10-2009, 11:47 AM
People can be amazingly stupid. Our local science museum expanded a while back and added a small number of outdoor animal exhibits. One is an exhibit of bears. When it first opened, we took DS who was then around 3. There are two layers of fence/barricades, but some idiot (adult male, mid 20s maybe) was trying to reach in and pet a juvenile bear cub. This little girl next to us was maybe 4, and she kept saying to her mom, "Mommy! That guy is going to get bit". It was amazing that the 4 year old had better judgment than the 20+ year old guy.

deborah_r
05-11-2009, 03:20 AM
I'm always amazed at the people that have no respect for animals/wildlife/other living beings. On Easter we were at these beautiful gardens (Descanso for the SoCal people) and these two kids, older than my oldest, were poking the koi fish with sticks, then feeding them candy. Started with Smarties and I thought, well, that's not too bad, they'll just dissolve. then started dropping in big hard candies (2 or 3 times the size of a jelly bean - barrel shaped)...I said "you are not supposed to feed the fish"...they ignored. Parents/grandparent/whomever was within range and either oblivious or didn't care. Then they threw the WRAPPER in the water. I got pissed, fished the wrappers out, grabbed my kids and went to another part of the gardens. I just didn't feel like fighting stupid that day, so I had to remove myself. I couldn't ignore it though because I did not want my boys to think that is OK. I saw at least 5 other kids that day in various parts of the gardens poking the fish with sticks. Why???

DrSally
05-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Oh, that would make me so mad! That's why some zoos have signs up about how to interact with the gorillas respectfully--like not staring b/c it makes them uncomfortable (let alone banging!) How barbaric of her.

ETA: I'm glad they got taken away by the Rangers and I'm glad you called them.

shawnandangel
05-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Too bad there was glass in the gorilla's way . . . That woman needs some sense knocked into her!

mamaoftwins
05-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Too bad there was glass in the gorilla's way . . . That woman needs some sense knocked into her!

I thought the same thing!! ;)

Cam&Clay
05-12-2009, 09:04 PM

Where's Harry Potter when you need him?

Melaine
05-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Where's Harry Potter when you need him?

:hysterical:

californiagirl
05-14-2009, 01:39 PM
We were just on Gibraltar. There are wild apes running free. There are signs by the dozen, maybe by the thousand, saying "These are wild apes. They bite. They steal food. There is a 500 pound fine for feeding them." And so on and so forth. In 7 languages.

Nonetheless, I saw at least 5 tourists getting within a foot of apes for photos, 2 apes eating ice cream (which you couldn't buy without an EXTRA warning). I saw one small child get jumped on by a baby ape (it didn't mean any harm, but it wasn't good for anybody involved), and one grownup get warned off (umm, who tries to pass a full-grown male ape on a narrow spiral staircase)? The guy running the cable car rolled his eyes and said "Yeah, and when they get bitten they're surprised and shocked and they ALWAYS say, 'I didn't have food, I wasn't teasing them'."