PDA

View Full Version : Need a little BF pep-talk!!

LarsMal
05-09-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm going to type really fast since I rarely have use of both hands these days!! I hope this all makes sense!

I need a little BF pep-talk b/c I am SO frustrated right now that I'm threatening bottles- GASP!!! ;)

Baby C latched on so well in the hospital. At her weight check last Monday- 48 hours after hospital discharge- she had gained back 3 ounces. I was very pleased and the ped said it was more than they'd expect at that point. Then the baby decided to play favorites and I got the clogged duct. That has worked itself out and she will nurse on both sides now, but some feedings she latches on right away and has no problems. Other feedings she'll sit there and "play" around with the latch, get herself so frustrated that she starts crying, then gets so frantic she can't latch on. I have to keep switching sides until she picks one she wants to latch on and then she's fine, and will ususally nurse on both sides. Problem is, it has taken as long as a 1/2 hour to get her to latch. It is so beyond frustrating! I have tried pumping to draw out my nipple and start the flow, that doesn't seem to help, mostly b/c that's not really a *problem*. I can feel the letdown, so I know the milk is there, she just won't latch sometimes. A couple times I've had to pump, put it in a bottle and give her a 1/2 ounce to ounce of the EBM to calm her down, then she'll latch on and be fine.

I know she's getting enough b/c once she nurses she'll go at least 2 hours between feedings. I just don't understand why sometimes she latches on with NO problems and other times she has to go through this whole process. (When she does this I'm not engorged so it's not like my breasts are harder than the other times when she latches on right away.)

I'm just feeling really down about BF right now. It's not my favorite thing in the world anyway, but I do it b/c I know it's good for her and I'm glad I *can* do it. I just don't know what I can do to make it easier for her- and me!

Just needed to vent that, but not really a b*tch as I could use whatever advice you can give. Or even just some BTDT!!!

Thanks!

AngelaS
05-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Keep trying! It will get easier, remember? I know the best advice I was given was that it takes a full two weeks. :)

If she has one breast that she doesn't like, I would always start her there. :) Also, is it possible that she plays when she's not really hungry? How often is she eating?

DebbieJ
05-09-2009, 01:55 PM
So sorry this is distressing you! Just keep at it! You can do this!

Have you seen an LC?

elektra
05-09-2009, 02:08 PM
I am having trouble too, so I just wanted to say that you are not alone! My issues are a bit different but it's still very frustrating. I too wanted to throw in the towel the day I got home from the hospital which is so weird because I wouldn't have even considered it with DD, even though I had similar issues with her in the beginning too. I am giving myself 2 weeks before I consider not BF exclusively. I don't want all the effort I've put in over these past few days to be for naught, KWIM? And I know I will be really bummed, wondering if things would have quickly gotten better like they did with DD. And I know I will feel so guilty if I give up with DS when I nurse DD for a year.
It sounds like you are doing all the right stuff with the pre-pumping and all that.
So try to hang a little longer. I will be too. :)

egoldber
05-09-2009, 02:17 PM
I would STRONGLY STRONGLY STRONGLY suggest seeing an LC and/or an LLL leader. It is hard to say what is going on from here, there could be several things.

One thing that occurs to me right away is that you may have overactive letdown and/or oversupply. Sometimes babies are overwhelmed with too much milk all at once and then they kind of play around until things slow down to a rate that they can handle.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

stillplayswithbarbies
05-09-2009, 03:18 PM
I second the suggestion to go to La Leche League or a lactation consultant. There are many things that could be going on and a LLL leader will have suggestions for you to try.

Nooknookmom
05-09-2009, 03:32 PM
I'll 3rd the LC support.

Also, have you tried a nipple shield? For the first few months it's the only way DD would nurse. Eventually we weaned it away (she's just fine latching on a t 2, lol) but it really did wonders for us!

Feeling like you want to give up is so normal too. It will get easier and things will take on routine. I had DD attached to me every 1-1.5 hrs for EVER. Finally she got the hang of it and so did I.

Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jerseygirl07067
05-09-2009, 04:25 PM
I feel your pain. My first DD did the same thing and finally got better at it. You might want to try feeding on the "harder side" before she gets really hungry, so try lessening time between feedings when you are going to start on that side. It does seem like she finally gets it though, so it will take time.

If that doesn't work, try seeing an LC, maybe they can give some good tips.

Good luck!

daisyd
05-09-2009, 07:08 PM
The first thing that came to mind on reading your post is, like PPs said is see an LC. Hang in there, the tough times don't last. Hugs.

KrisM
05-09-2009, 08:06 PM
I agree about an LC or LLL leader. If the first can't help, find another.

Hang in there - both of you! I hope it gets easier and better for you.

LMPC
05-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Alright, the PP's here have given some great great suggestions....so I'll add my two to (hopefully) lend some encouragement!!!
1) Stick with it! It *will* get easier and when DC's a little older you won't be making bottles to take out. You'll just get to the mall (or library or park or wherever) and feed DC! No hassle!
2) And btw this is the one that kept me going in the early days.....as DC gets older you can look down at those cute cute cute chubby legs and think "I did that! My awesome milk made those thighs cute and chubby! Go me!"
Be patient with yourself and the new little one! Good luck!!!

Momof3Labs
05-09-2009, 09:01 PM
DS1 did this a lot. I wonder if she is too hungry and that's why she is getting upset. Perhaps try feeding her a little more frequently for now, until she settles better into bf'ing?

chozen
05-09-2009, 09:21 PM
ARENT WE MOMS AWESOME.:applause:

JTsMom
05-09-2009, 11:20 PM
You can do it Julie! :cheerleader1:

I don't really have much new to add since the pp's already covered everything I could think of (I was thinking overactive letdown or trying to nurse more frequently)- just wanted to send some encouragement.

DS had a really hard time getting latched on at first, and we had serious nipple confusion issues. I didn't think we'd ever get past it, but we did. I did end up using a shield very briefly, and that helped. I'll bet in a week or 2, you'll have it all down to a science. It just gets a bit overwhelming at times when you're in the thick of it. We're all rooting for you!

bubbaray
05-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Another vote to see an LC, though I wouldn't bother with LLL, I've had nothing but bad experiences with them.

I also think it sounds either like overactive letdown or she's too hungry. I would try feeding her earlier or really watching her cues.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!

Just take it one feeding at a time.

daisymommy
05-11-2009, 01:11 PM
The other thing that came to my mind is if your nipple is even a bit too flat, or not extended out enough, it will not reach the spot on their upper palate, that stimulates the sucking reflex. I had no idea about this before, but it is what caused problems with nursing Joshua. Drawing it out should help with this. Something I saw recently that may help, and would be quicker to use than a pump each time is the Lansinoh Latch Assist: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2970262

Having your breasts a bit too hard/full causes many babies to react the same away as well--and double whammy that hard breasts usually equal flatter nipples too. Nursing more often so you do not get engorged, as well as expressing a bit of milk so your breasts are softer and baby has an easier time latching on should hopefully help.

I know it can be so hard in the early days. Just hang in there, and remember that it does get easier!

boltfam
05-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Another vote to see an LC.

I also think it sounds either like overactive letdown or she's too hungry. I would try feeding her earlier or really watching her cues.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!

Just take it one feeding at a time.

I had the same problems, and this is the exact advice I was going to give. Looking back, I think our problem was overactive letdown. DS eventually got over it, and he ended up nursing great!

justincase
05-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Oh, gosh, I'm sorry it's rough going. The things we go through because we know it's best for our kids! I, too, would guess overactive let-down but that is just from personal experience with DS and I am no expert. I'll be just one more voice recommending the LC. And, also, I know you know this, but you are tired and stressed and have your hands full right now, and that is making the frustration worse... just go easy on yourself! :hug:

LarsMal
05-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the replies! I've been reading them, but haven't been able to sit and respond. Of course, as I type this my little leech has realized I put her down and is not very happy! She's the cutest, cuddliest, sweetest leech, but still stuck to mama!!!

Things are going a bit better. I took her to the ped yesterday and she had gained a few more ounces, but not as much as the ped (or I) would have expected- especially given how much she wants to nurse. I definitely have overactive letdown, but she seems to be handling it okay. The ped thinks my antihistamines could be playing a part, lowering my milk supply some. My allergies haven't been too bad so I'm going to try to go without my meds for a few days and see how things go. I have to take her back in for another weight check next week. She should definitely be back up to birth weight by then (she's about 3 1/2 ounces from it now). I'm not too concerned about it because L&M were slow gainers, too, and always in the lower 25th% for weight. Baby C already weighs more than they did at 2 weeks.

I haven't contacted an LC yet. I know I should, but I have had 2 bad experiences with them and I'm just kind of turned off by them. Baby C is definitely doing better. Even if she has her little bouts of frustration and "play", it's not happening as often or as long. She still won't always go to the breast she "should" be going to, but that's okay.

I'm definitely not giving up the BF-----for now!! ;)

Thanks again!!