PDA

View Full Version : Will I get labeled "That Mom" if I email our future teacher?

kayte
05-09-2009, 02:53 PM
We turned in DD's school paperwork on the 30th of April. We discussed with the director that DD is a little apprehensive about the whole school idea and she suggested that we come one morning and let DD sit in on a little bit of the class. She had the school secretary take my number and email address and said she wold pass it onto the teacher to arrange the best time. I haven't heard anything.

In addition, the paperwork I got--the school handbook, etc-- has the contact information for the teacher. I have met her twice including right before turning in our paperwork (we are at the school once a week for a Music Together class). Would I get myself labeled "That Parent'" before the school year even begins if I email her about a visit? I hate to stop by when we are there because she is busy with her students. There are only 2 more weeks of school.

Or do I stop by the office again and ask?

SnuggleBuggles
05-09-2009, 02:56 PM
I'd email the teacher. I don't think you cross any lines by doing that, especially if you go and are unobtrusive. Now, if you go and spend the whole time monopolizing the teacher and telling her how great your dd is then you will be on your way to earning that label. ;)

Beth

ett
05-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I think it would be fine to email the teacher. The teacher is probably just very busy and perhaps the message from the secretary got lost.

Octobermommy
05-09-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't think there would be any issue with you calling or emailing the teacher. I would do it asap.

Kungjo
05-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't worry about being labeled as "That Mom." Just do what you think is best for your child. My older DD and younger DD have two entirely different personalities. Older DD is outgoing and social. Younger is shy, introverted, and timid. When it;s time for her to transition to K, I will be "That Mom" and will think nothing of it. I'm more concerned about making her transition easier.

I don't think that e-mailing her to discuss your concerns is out of line. Contact her and see what happens.

WatchingThemGrow
05-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Just be forewarned that the last two weeks of K are CRAZY with a million things going on. I'm not sure I'll want my DD seeing/expecting her experience to be like that. It may set up false expectations with parties, field days, programs, etc. NOTHING like the rest of the year. And keep in mind the teacher is likely trying to do 100 assehttp://www.huddlefurniture.com/p-1239-contentment-crib.aspxssments on every child to finish report cards, end of year meetings, packing up the classroom, coordinating all the "special" events and keep the K students entertained. Just keep those things in mind, and don't get your expectations up. If you do want to go, do it at a very unobtrusive time (like centers) for a very short (5 min) visit.

I think every kid is anxious about starting school, but it is kinda like starting anything else in life where you don't really know until you get in there to actually do it. Personally, as a teacher, I'd love for a student to come in after school for a brief visit so I could actually talk to them without also having the responsibility of managing the 20 current students at the same time. That might be a little less overwhelming for all parties. Does your school have a meet the teacher night later in the summer?

kayte
05-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks. I went ahead and sent her an email.

Just wanted to mention, it's not Kindergarten, it's pre-K.

There is a parent orientation in August that kicks off an 8 week class for parents new to the school, but it's not for kiddos.