PDA

View Full Version : Carrot applesauce - good way to hide veggies!

nrp
05-09-2009, 03:13 PM
I've been meaning to post this for awhile. My DD pretty well avoids most veggies. An occasional green bean here and there and sweet potato fries, but that's about it. I keep putting them in front of her, and hope that one day she'll embrace them! But until that glorious day, I have found that she will devour equal parts unsweetened applesauce and pureed carrots. I just steam one of the huge bags of organic baby carrots from Costco in my pressure cooker, then puree them in the blender and mix it all with the big jar of organic applesauce. Then I freeze in individual small plastic containers (about the size of the individual applesauces you buy at the store). Basically baby food, I guess, but she will eat it! HTH!

KrisM
05-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Does it change the color to orange? DD is a terrible eater. She sort of likes applesauce and I wonder if this would work.

nrp
05-09-2009, 04:18 PM
It does - its pretty bright orange. I would have thought DD would have objected to that, but she didn't. I even call it carrot-sauce and she still likes it. If the color is a deal-breaker, I know I've seen pale yellow carrots occasionally at our fancier grocery. I would think that would blend in pretty well with applesauce. Or maybe try yellow squash puree? It wouldn't be a sweet as carrots, but if you did less (say 1/3 puree to 2/3 applesauce) I would think the applesauce would disguise the squash taste entirely. I might try that, in fact...

vludmilla
05-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks for posting this, Nikki! I am going to try it with DD. As it is I get her to eat smoothies made of milk, plain yogurt, and sweet potato puree. It is really surprising how much she loves it. I even put her Carlson's fish oil into it and she still likes it. No sugar but lots of good stuff.

nrp
05-09-2009, 10:03 PM
I do the smoothie trick too - I sneak all sorts of stuff in them that she would never dream of touching otherwise - flax meal, carrots, cucumbers, kale (this one requires a beefy blender - I use my Blendtec that I am in love with). It's a good way to get rid of some fruits that have been a little long in the crisper too!

bcafe
05-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Acorn squash blended into homemade applesauce works great too. Throw in a few blueberries, and a wonderful, healthy mix!

purpleeyes
05-09-2009, 10:36 PM
If you don't have time to make applesauce carrot mix, Trader Joes has fabulous drinkable applesauce carrot mixes that my DD loves! It is a great way to get carrots into her and a good thing to eat on the run.
HTH!

vludmilla
05-10-2009, 10:25 AM
If you don't have time to make applesauce carrot mix, Trader Joes has fabulous drinkable applesauce carrot mixes that my DD loves! It is a great way to get carrots into her and a good thing to eat on the run.
HTH!

Thanks for mentioning this. I keep seeing that but I never really looked at it. If there is no sugar added then I am definitely going to try that and if DD likes it, I'm off to making all kinds of veggie applesauces.

nrp
05-10-2009, 10:35 AM
HTH!

Yet another time that I wish that we had a TJs. I even wrote to them begging to come to our city, but no luck so far!