PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon-toed Toddler?

smiles33
05-09-2009, 06:05 PM
The Toddler forum doesn't seem to get much traffic so I thought I'd ask here. My nearly 3 year old DD is slightly pigeon-toed. I kept thinking she would outgrow it, but it's definitely still noticeable. DH is also pigeon-toed, so it's possible that it's genetic. We have our 3 year WBV in 2 weeks so I plan to ask about it then, but was curious if any other parents have dealt with this.

In my quick google search, most say that braces/casts don't do much as kids usually outgrow it, but 3 years is much older than the 15 month-18 month toddlers they mentioned...

TIA!

tylersmama
05-09-2009, 11:36 PM
We have exactly the same thing happening here. I actually asked the ped about it at DS's two year check-up and he said most kids outgrow it by three and if he hadn't, we would talk about it then. Well, I guess we'll be talking about it then. I'd love to know if anybody has any idea. I'm guessing we'll probably be referred to a pediatric orthopedist, but I have no idea from there. Brace, cast, physical therapy, special shoes? :dizzy:

We go in for the 3 year check-up on June 3, so it sounds like you'll be seeing your ped first. I'll be interested to hear what you find out!

BeachBum
05-10-2009, 08:37 AM
We were at a pediatric orthopedist for an unrelated reason, but I asked a similar question (regarding feet turning out) because mine do. The answer I got was unless it impedes walking running they don't do anything.

TwinFoxes
05-10-2009, 10:24 AM
As a veteran of orthopedic shoes, I can tell you, they don't help! I'm just as pigeon toed now as I was when I was a kid! It doesn't bother me at all, I played sports throughout HS and college.

ETA: now that I think about it, my mom also had to do stretching exercises with me when I was really young (like 2 or 3, I barely remember.) I wish I could ask her if they helped, but sadly she's not with me any longer. :(

brittone2
05-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Most kids do outgrow it, and it is pretty common to have pigeon-toed positions, "bow legs" etc. in young kids. By 3 it would be worth discussing with an MD and possibly considering a consult with an orthopedist, who may or may not want to actually do anything. It is one of those situations where there can be several causes, and it is impossible to specify beyond that without evaluating a child in person.

They may just take a conservative "watch and wait" approach or they may recommend some sort of intervention. What intervention they'd use would depend on the underlying cause, etc. And yes, the decision about whether they'll recommend some intervention may depend on whether function is affected (some kids have difficulty running or doing stairs for example, some will not).

Orthopedic shoes are no longer all that commonly used vs. when we were kids.

It is worth mentioning at the upcoming visit, and then go from there. If it is impeding his function in any way, I'd push harder for an orthopedist visit.

smiles33
05-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the insight, ladies. I guess I just wondered, as DH is pigeon-toed and we think that has contributed to his hip and knee issues as a result (including knee surgery) because he has to compensate for the turned in toes. He also has flat feet and has worn orthotics since he was a kid, but other than that, he never had any sort of "intervention" as a child. Thus, I just wondered whether it was because there really is nothing you can do. I'm definitely going to bring it up at our 3 year WBV and at least explore it. Poor DH is sometimes on the couch with ice bags on both knees after just regular activities (e.g., cooking, walking at a mall, etc.). Fortunately, DD doesn't seem to trip more than any other toddler in her class so there may be hope that she got my good knees/hips and that this is just a phase.

rlu
05-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the insight, ladies. I guess I just wondered, as DH is pigeon-toed and we think that has contributed to his hip and knee issues as a result (including knee surgery) because he has to compensate for the turned in toes.

For DS it is the opposite. He was evaluated by a orthopedic surgeon and she said not only does his toes turn in (we were doing orthodics for those per podiatrist) but his legs turn at his knees and hips. She said there isn't anything to do for DS for now. We're watching to see how it affects him and then will re-evaluate around age 7 or 8. DS doesn't seem to trip anymore than others and I think the only sports he might have issues with are skiing or skating. He wants to play hockey, so that may become an issue, although I don't think I really want him to play hockey anyway.

HIU8
05-11-2009, 02:42 PM
DS was opposite. He had one foot that turned way out (like almost a 45 degree angle). We were very worried about it (runs in my family), but DS thankfully outgrew it. the ped had said that if DS was still showing it as severly at 3 then we would revisit, but that never happened b/c his foot stopped turning out almost completely.

almostmom
05-11-2009, 03:52 PM
We have some experience with this, and my dad is a foot orthopedic surgeon.

When DS was born, my dad said right away that he'd need casts, and our pediatrician agreed. It is both hereditary, and from how he was positioned in the womb. He had casts when he was a newborn for about 6 weeks, and then wore out-turned special shoes (eventually with the bar) until he was 2 I believe (at night). He is totally fine now, and his hips were never a problem, though my dad and the ped always checked them. His feet don't go out, but they don't go in. He's a bit bow-legged, but he is a very fast runner. He did trip a bit more than other kids when he was little, but not anymore.

DD was born, and my dad said she didn't need the casts. Her feet went in, but they straightened easily, and he said they should just get better. Pedi agreed. Now at 3.5, she is fine, also a great runner. But she is pigeon-toed. I do think she trips a little more than other kids, or did when she was like 2, but not really anymore.

My dad always pointed out that a lot of the best athletes are pigeon-toed and/or have bow legs. I found that interesting.

As long as your ped has checked for hip dysplasia (not sure how to spell that!), you should be fine. Nothing wrong with feet pointing in. Mine do! And I was an athlete, until I had kids...

brigmaman
05-11-2009, 03:57 PM

"My dad always pointed out that a lot of the best athletes are pigeon-toed and/or have bow legs. I found that interesting. "

This is exactly what a friend/orthopedic surgeon told us when we inquired about ds being pigeon toed.

GracieCat
05-11-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm 6 months pregnant and this have given me something new to worry about! My husband is extremely bowlegged (2-3inch gap between knees). He is thin and runs and has never complained about any type of pain. Do we just need to keep an eye on our child's development and talk with the doctor if we start to notice problems? I would prefer that the baby have straight legs, but it doesn't sound like they do anything unless life is impaired.

brittone2
05-11-2009, 05:12 PM
nak-
http://orthoseek.com/articles/bowlegs-kk.html

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/children/parents/special/bone/202.html

http://www.orthosports.com.au/paed.html

Usually not a big deal. More of a big deal if it starts to impact function, or is asymmetrical, etc.

I'd discourage W sitting.