PDA

View Full Version : Sleep issues with DS (4.5 months) long

ArizonaGirl
05-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I am at my wits end. I just don't know what to do. I had been rocking him to sleep at night and for nap, but the ped said it was okay to start letting him fuss a bit, which I am fine with. This seems to work pretty well at night, he fusses (not cries) for 10-15 minutes and then falls asleep (we put him down awake at 9 pm), if he starts screaming I go and pick him up soothe rock him and then lay him down again, etc. He then sleeps until 5-6 am.

The real problem we have is with nap time. We don't have any real schedule (partially my fault and partially due to the naptime challenge). Even when I rock him to sleep and he is completely asleep he will sleep a maximum of 45 minutes and usually only about 20 minutes. And, we have tried letting him fuss himself to sleep and he will just work himself up to a red-faced scream that I don't see how he could ever fall asleep from. We have tried napping in the bassinet (PNP, which is where he currently sleeps, we're moving...another story), swing, bouncy, on the floor. He sleeps much better in my arms but still thrashes and startles himself awake (we have tried swaddling and he thrashes free in minutes).

I know he is not getting the recommended 14-16 hours of sleep and I can't get anything done, plus he is 15 lbs and getting too heavy to hold all of the time.

thanks for reading this far

Spicygirl
05-09-2009, 11:50 PM
It sounds like you're going through the exact same thing I am, especially the napping issue. My 4 mo old DS will only nap for any significant length of time if I hold him, and never gets the recommended 14 hours of sleep that he should. I'm worried this sleep deficit is detrimental to his health. I'm also afraid of trying CIO, as my baby doesn't just cry, he screams and turns beet red when he is upset :-(

ArizonaGirl
05-10-2009, 01:21 AM
It sounds like we have long lost twins. ;) Let me know if you find anything that works and I will do the same.