PDA

View Full Version : Anyone participate in JBF sales? Does your stuff get lost?

MNmomtobe
05-09-2009, 11:23 PM
I have consigned in about 6 or 7 Just Between Friends consignment sales. I don't sell a lot of stuff. Maybe 20-30 items per sale so I notice when my stuff gets lost.
I realize that it is a risk but I have had a lost item or two (or my very few things I am selling) get lost which means I don't get paid for that item.
A sale 3 weeks ago, they lost a pair of brand new stride rite sandals that I was selling for $15. From the sale this week, 2 onesies and 1 newborn outfit were "lost".

Wondering if this is the norm? It has become the norm for me. I still participate because I have found some great deals as a buyer but I am now wary of selling anything of great value. Also a friend of mine and I would consign then go to presales together. It was great fun.

It makes me sad if people are stealing from these sales, but it seems like that must be the case.

TwinFoxes
05-09-2009, 11:29 PM
I think there's a good chance it's not the people running the sales, but the shoppers.

MNmomtobe
05-09-2009, 11:31 PM
I think there's a good chance it's not the people running the sales, but the shoppers.

Yes, this is what I think as well.

american_mama
05-10-2009, 03:05 AM
I don't know that consignment sale, but I just did my first two sales this spring. One item out of 70 was lost at one sale. At the other sale, I lost about 15 out of 55 items. I just found that out a week ago when I got my check. In my case, it got confusing when I went to pick up my un-sold items, so I am not sure if I didn't get my 15 items due to a simple mistake or if it's something more irritating, like theft.

Anyway, I know there is nothing that can be done about the 15 items now and fortunately I am mostly happy to just have them gone. But it burns me.

WatchingThemGrow
05-10-2009, 07:09 AM
How do they keep track of your items? Do you do an inventory? Our sale (not JBF) doesn't, but there is an area on sort night for all the items whose tags have come off. It is a decent amount of stuff, so it makes me really careful to stick my tags on well.

I agree with the PP that people probably do something with the items, not the people who run the sale.

mom2binsd
05-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Our sale has hired security and quite a few volunteers are asked to roam the clothing aisles to watch for tag switchers, item switchers.....I've on occasion seen an outfit that was labeled a 3 pc outfit only have 2 pieces, when I looked for the 3rd pc (in one case a gymbo bright green top with flamingos-not hard to find) it was no where, not with the lost tags items not hanging somewhere else.

It's a sad thing but people try to steal all the time! The amount of theft in retail is staggering, and so it's so surprise people take advantage of consignment sales. We caught one grannie taking off the tags and putting her own tags on items, unfortunately she kept the originals in her pockets, sticking out, and when she made her own tags she didn't put a consignor # on so it wouldn't have sold anyway...

I'd try to keep a good inventory of what you had, whether it was priced to go half price etc and then maybe talk to the owner about anything that is really bothering you.

MommyAllison
05-10-2009, 05:09 PM
I haven't noticed anything missing in the JBF sales I've done (probably 4 or 5 times). Does your sale use the myjbftags.com system? It makes it really easy to see if anything gets lost, because either it shows up as sold, or you pick it up at the end of the sale. If something didn't sell, and wasn't at pickup, you would be easily able to see that. Sorry, that is lame. :(

And to the pp about the grannie who was putting her own tags on other people's stuff...wow. That is crazy!