PDA

View Full Version : What age for correcting pencil grip?

fivi2
05-10-2009, 10:56 AM
I don't want to push my girls or anything, but for the first time ever, my twins are at pretty different stages on something! So, I don't know if I need to be working with the one who is "behind" or if it is normal.

They are about 3.5. One has always held pencils and crayons (and scissors) correctly (without me telling her to) and can draw some recognizable pictures. The other usually holds pencils in her fist and scribbles. Do I need to work with her on using correctly yet, or just keep letting her do her own thing?

At what age should they be holding it correctly?

tia!

brittone2
05-10-2009, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't worry too much at 3.5 if she's not having other fine motor issues.

I personally would probably opt to just do a lot of fine motor play without focusing on the actual writing implement. Using (non sharp) tweezers to transfer cotton balls or popped popcorn between two containers, then moving to smaller and more slippery objects...beans, lentils, rice. You can put glue on a paper in a shape (like the first letter of their name) and then have them use tweezers to transfer stuff to glue onto the paper (rice, beans, sequins, etc...if that's too hard use stuff like cotton balls, or popped popcorn.

Playing w/ silly putty (especially pinching, etc.), pulling apart Duplo blocks, etc.

Lacing beads, lacing shapes, etc.

There are a lot of threads on fine motor skills in the archives with lots of ideas. Montessori catalogs usually have great fine motor ideas too.

Gross motor stuff like wheelbarrow walking, etc. can help develop shoulder girdle strength and stability, which can help with handwriting down the road.

fivi2
05-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks! Great ideas!

maestramommy
05-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Dh and I do correct now, since Dora is drawing/writing a lot more. It's pretty low key, but we at least get her to hold the writing tool closer to the end, and not use the fist grip. She's not resistant at all. I do know at preschool they probably will not correct at this stage, but whatever.

mytwosons
05-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Break her crayons into small nubs and only offer the girls those to color with. The shorter pieces force them to use the correct grip.

SnuggleBuggles
05-10-2009, 06:11 PM
They are working with my 6.5yo now because they want him to be able to do handwriting next year (2nd grade). Kindergarten-grade 1 seems like a good age to work on that skill, ime and imo.

Beth

toby
05-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Ditto what OP said- break crayons in half (or smaller), sharpen pencils down until they are very small, get Crayola Pipsqueak markers which are half the size of regular ones. These have all helped my DS (4.5) who does NOT take kindly to being corrected (especially by his parents!)

nellonello
05-10-2009, 08:29 PM
They are working with my 6.5yo now because they want him to be able to do handwriting next year (2nd grade). Kindergarten-grade 1 seems like a good age to work on that skill, ime and imo.

Beth

This is when we did it with our kids as well. His school tends to work on it more in 1st grade than Kindergarten.