PDA

View Full Version : Changing Station Options

bw52
05-10-2009, 05:03 PM
We're getting this dresser (below), but $300 seems a bit steep for the changing table option. What are my other options? Do I need something like this? I do want to change her on top of the dresser, but I thought I just put the pad on top of the dresser. Do I need something to put it in? And if so, is this one expensive or could I find a similar one for cheaper somewhere?

http://www.csnbaby.com/Young-America-by-Stanley-326-94-02-YAS8731.html#ProdDetails

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
05-10-2009, 06:10 PM
You don't need something like that. Buy a contoured changing pad for $20 at Target and put it on top of the dresser.
You may find that other places work better for you and your lifestyle than the dresser (floor, bed...) so don't spend a ton on this feature. We use the Pack n Play changing table with ds1 and the PnP bassinet part with ds2 to do diaper changes when they were little. When the are so little it is nice to have a convenient place to change them b/c you change a lot of diapers in the early months. Things ease up when they get older and location doesn't become quite such a big deal. That could just be my experience though.

Beth

jgenie
05-10-2009, 07:35 PM
We have a similar YA dresser. We bought a contoured changing pad and fastened it to the back of the dresser w/ the hardware that came with the pad. It has worked great for us - DS is 16 months.

WatchingThemGrow
05-10-2009, 08:16 PM
I have that piece, and I did NOT pay $300 for it, maybe $125 3 years ago at Furnitureland South.

Things I REALLY like about it:
The space on the right side is perfect for holding a refillable wipes box, all the ointments, creams, brushes, distraction toys, etc.
The changing pad itself is much longer than the contoured pads, so my kids still fit on it when they don't fit on the contoured one. (We had a contoured one on DS' YA dresser for several months until we moved the topper over from DD's room to his.) There's just more room to dry him, dress him, etc. just like there was for her.
It makes the room look finished, and it doesn't wiggle around or run the risk of scratching the dresser. Just put little felt pads underneath it.
The not-too frilly style means you can move it to a boy's room and re-use it.
My mom sewed up 2 pad covers for it to match the decor for it - plush yellow and green - exactly like I wanted. Still using the same covers 3 years later, will continue to use the whole set for the next 3 years, so for 6 years of use, it was totally worth having a place to store all the little things you need for a changing station without having to have a separate basket that moves around.

It might sound silly or frivolous, but I really have enjoyed the piece.

sunshine873
05-10-2009, 09:24 PM
I bought a cooshee changer and put it on top of my dresser.

http://www.amazon.com/BabySmart-825250-Cooshee-Changer-Vanilla/dp/B0016C1C1W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1242004827&sr=8-1

It stays put - doesn't slide at all. I love the color (I got the bright pink one.) Best of all, when it gets dirty (and it does, because I'm changing diapers on it), all I have to do is wipe up the mess with a diaper wipe! So much better than having to add a changing pad cover to my laundry load!

bw52
05-14-2009, 04:17 PM
For those who just use a changing pad on top of the dresser, did you ever worry about the top of the dresser getting ruined? From getting wet--from either dirty diapers, drippy wipes, diaper cream, etc... It seems like a cheaper option to just get a pad (and that leaves more money to buy the hutch I REALLY want), but I would be upset if the dresser got ruined permanently. We won't ALWAYS be using it as a changing are, KWIM? I thought of putting something on top of the dresser to prevent that, but I can't seem to think of anything....

KrisM
05-14-2009, 04:24 PM
For those who just use a changing pad on top of the dresser, did you ever worry about the top of the dresser getting ruined? From getting wet--from either dirty diapers, drippy wipes, diaper cream, etc... It seems like a cheaper option to just get a pad (and that leaves more money to buy the hutch I REALLY want), but I would be upset if the dresser got ruined permanently. We won't ALWAYS be using it as a changing are, KWIM? I thought of putting something on top of the dresser to prevent that, but I can't seem to think of anything....

I used to have a changing table, but it took up too much space in the hallway. Now, I have the pad on top of the bathroom counter. In either case, I don't think the top surface has ever been wet, in 5 years. Diapers go in the trash (sposies) or the diaper pail (cloth). I don't put them on the table top. Wipes are in a case of some sort, or are wetted at the faucet and wrung out a bit, so not dripping. I wouldn't imagine it to be a problem.

Sweetum
05-14-2009, 05:22 PM
I have the same thing going on at home - I use the bathroom countertop. Our master bedroom has 2 bath sinks, and between the 2 there's enough space to put a changing pad (cooshee changer - love it!), a diaper caddy (from skip hop - love that too!) and a wipe warmer with the wipes (again, love it!). We use the storage cabinets under the sinks to store the boxes of diapers and wipes. The diaper pail (diaper genie - once again, love it) sits at the end of the counter (within reach) right next to the regular trash can. It's so easy to change him right next to a water source - when there's a really messy diaper, the water comes in handy for a better cleanup, and it's always so easy to clean your hands after removing the dirty diaper and before putting on a clean one. Btw, we do all his massages too in the cooshee changer.