PDA

View Full Version : Formula VS Solids

swrc00
05-10-2009, 07:11 PM
DS is 6 months old and has been eating cereal since 4 months. At his 6 month appt we got the go ahead to move to the second stage foods. In the morning he gets cereal mixed with 1/2 a jar of fruit and then for dinner her gets 1/2 a jar of veggies. He eats 5 7 oz bottles a day. He has started wanting more solids. This morning he ate a whole jar of fruit mixed with his cereal. I think he is close to dropping one of his bottles. Should I back off on the solids so he continues to have mostly formula. He is in the 92nd percentile for weight and height. How much formula does he need?
TIA

egoldber
05-10-2009, 07:51 PM
For a 6 month old, I would not replace formula with solids. Breastmilk or formula is the primary nutrition for the first 12 months. They are nutritionally complete foods and contain everything that he needs. Solids are for practice. They are not complete foods and he needs to be eating a wide variety before they replace bottles as his primary nurtition.

You could see about chopping up soft foods for him to try using as finger foods. Bananas, steamed sweet potato, ripe pears, etc.

JBaxter
05-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Pretty much everything Beth said :)

stillplayswithbarbies
05-10-2009, 09:26 PM
I agree with the above. Before 12 months of age, solids should be just for fun and practice. I don't start solids at all until after 8 or 9 months because it's not fun for me and there is no nutritional reason for it. Definitely don't let it replace formula until after 12 months If he is still hungry after his bottles, maybe he needs more formula.