PDA

View Full Version : Babywearing Schedule at Home

bigpassport
05-11-2009, 01:15 AM
This is a basic question about when you wear your baby at home. I am contemplating a Moby Wrap. I will be taking maternity leave, but even when I "go back to work" I can do most of my work from my home office. If, for example, we are staying home all day, do I put him in the wrap when we're done with the morning feeding and just wear him around the house all day long? How many hours do you actually wear you baby each day? Can you give me an idea of a babywearing routine or schedule?

justincase
05-11-2009, 09:11 AM
I am currently wearing DD and will for most of the day (unless she falls asleep in my arms nursing in which case I'll just sit and snuggle and maybe get to close my eyes and nap, too!) I tucked her in here after the morning feed; I'll get laundry, dishes, bills, BBB :), walk into town for a quick errand or cup of tea, even vacuuming, etc. done with her in here. She'll come out for "playtime" and tummy time during whatever part of the day she chooses to be awake and alert, and for her giant cluster feeding sessions, but will be in here pretty much for sleeping. I'll put her in the bucket at 3:00 to drive to pick up DS. Back into the sling for afternoon playtime with him outside. She'll spend a little bit of time in her swing or papasan chair while we sit down to dinner, then back in the sling or nursing through DS's bath and bedtime. Then into DH's arms for some Daddy time between bouts of evening cluster feeding frenzy before bed. She sleeps well in her crib at night so I figure I'll take every chance I get to hold her close during the day!

ETA: I am currently on maternity leave; this "schedule" will obviously change when I go back.

One cautionary tale: DD's love of the sling is equal to DS's hatred of it when he was a babe. I had such high hopes but he just. would. not. be. worn. Tried lots of slings / wraps (thankfully only shelled out $$ once as I have lots of friends to borrow from), lots of positions, many times... he hated it. I got much less done in the early weeks than I am this time. Then again, I had a much rougher c/s recovery last time so maybe I wasn't meant to be getting anything done!

hellokitty
05-11-2009, 10:05 AM
I've never had a schedule for babywearing. Babywearing should just be to your own convenience. If your baby fusses while you are trying to wash dishes, then wear the baby. If you need to run errands and baby is more content being worn than being in the carseat or stroller, wear the baby. I just wear them as needed. There isn't any kind of schedule. If the baby is content playing on the floor, I just let him play. I guess what I am saying is that I do not wear my babies b/c I am dictated by any schedule. I just wear them if I NEED to. Whether it is to soothe a fussy baby, make errands/activities with older kids easier or to get stuff done around the house...

LexyLou
05-11-2009, 11:23 AM
I never had a schedule for babywearing either. I just followed my baby's cues which in the beginning were pretty much to always be in the sling. If she didn't want to be in, I'd keep her out but she stayed in mostly for the first 3 months.

ang79
05-11-2009, 02:17 PM
I've definately worn D2 more than I wore DD1, but its still mainly for when I need to get things done around the house (cleaning, dishes, laundry, etc.) or when I take walks or go to the park with my toddler. I also wear her some when I'm shopping, as its hard to fit two kids and groceries into one grocery cart! She's 5 months now, so she is content to play on the floor, in her Bumbo seat, or her exersaucer and I wear her more when we are outside now that the weather is nicer. But for the first 3 months I pretty much wore her down in the mei tai every night to get her to go to sleep. So I agree w/ previous posts, wear the baby when you need to or when they want to be worn and it will probably be different each day.

Have fun with it! :)

vahnessuh
05-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Same here. I've never heard of anyone having a schedule for babywearing before. I basically just wear her if she wants to or if I need to. Other than that, if she wants to play on the floor or in her crib or playpen, I put her down.

bigpassport
05-11-2009, 11:02 PM
I guess using the word "schedule" wasn't really what I meant. What I meant (and what you've addressed) is...when do you wear the baby vs. putting baby in bouncer, swing, papasan, tummytime, etc? Are you supposed to wear the baby as much as possible, or just when he is fussy, or just when its convenient for you? Thank you for your responses. Having real life examples helps me picture how I might be using the sling/wrap/carrier.

DebbieJ
05-12-2009, 01:00 AM
I guess using the word "schedule" wasn't really what I meant. What I meant (and what you've addressed) is...when do you wear the baby vs. putting baby in bouncer, swing, papasan, tummytime, etc? Are you supposed to wear the baby as much as possible, or just when he is fussy, or just when its convenient for you? Thank you for your responses. Having real life examples helps me picture how I might be using the sling/wrap/carrier.

It depends on your child. My son only napped in the sling for the first few months of his life. Later, he would willingly spend time in the bouncy seat or swing.

You just have to follow your child's cues.