PDA

View Full Version : "Flat head"

boltfam
05-11-2009, 03:32 PM
I love the BB book! I haven't ready "Baby 411" because I didn't hear about it until DS was over a year old.

I have heard from other moms, though, that the section on babies with flat heads says that the head will usually "round out", which in some cases is true, but many times is not.

There have been a lot of posts in the BBB Lounge about babies with flat heads, and in a lot of cases, the child has plagiocephaly caused by torticollis (tight neck muscles), which can negatively impact the child's development as well as cause problems down the road such as persistent headaches, etc.

Posting as a mom who has gone through this and who has read many posts by other moms who have, I feel that it would be good to inform parents about giving DC a variety of supervised "tummy time" experiences, explaining different ways of keeping babies off their backs (bumbo seat, laying DC on tummy on a Boppy, carrying baby in sling, etc). I also feel that it would be beneficial to parents to inform them of the possibility of torticollis, explaining what it is, and urging the parent to see a pediatrician.

Here is a link to one of the discusssions:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=321979&highlight=torticollis

alandenisefields
05-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! Actually, we do cover this subject on pages 86-87 of BABY 411! We've got tips to avoid this, what to look out for, etc.

Thanks,
Alan & Denise Fields
authors, BABY BARGAINS * BABY 411

boltfam
05-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! Actually, we do cover this subject on pages 86-87 of BABY 411! We've got tips to avoid this, what to look out for, etc.

Thanks,
Alan & Denise Fields
authors, BABY BARGAINS * BABY 411

Wonderful! :bighand:Like I said, I haven't read "Baby 411" and was going on what others said, but it is great that you have a section on it...not very many books do.