PDA

View Full Version : Have I endangered my family/home?

MmeSunny
05-11-2009, 08:37 PM
OK, I'm home alone with DD tonight and a young guy with a name tag and binder/clip board comes to the door and asks if I am the homeowner and interested in changing our security system. He notices our security system sign out front.

I just want him to go away because the last pack of young 20-somethings who roamed the neighborhood and sold us that system, sold us a pack of crap which we have since canceled.

Like a bathering idiot I TELL this to the guy. ie "No we don't want a new system, that one's canceled. It's a piece of crap!"

Was he casing the place? Is he finding out the homes in the neighborhood that don't have security systems so he can rob them later? This is not a nice neighborhood, but we can't sell the house and get out of here. . . .what do I do? I feel like such an idiot!

bnme
05-11-2009, 08:44 PM
We've had people like that in our area and they seem very suspicious. Don't give a lot of info, come back again and again, and use scare tactics. But they were just aggressively selling. I called to complain but didn't get far. It happened right after there was a robbery around the block and they knew about it and came out like vultures.

Check with your neighbors to see if they visited them.

specialp
05-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Did you get the name of the company? If so, could you see if it's legit & call and see if they had people in the area?

infomama
05-11-2009, 09:23 PM
I would find it very hard to believe that a potential burglar would operate in this fashion . When criminals case a neighborhood they drive the streets trying to blend in while they gather information on your habits/patterns and your homes layout.
I would learn from this experience (I don't even answer the door when I am not expecting someone) and perhaps call your local police department to see if a soliciting permit was issued for any security companies that day then follow up if you wish.

TwinFoxes
05-11-2009, 09:37 PM
I think if you're worried you should call the police (not 911, just the regular number) and ask if they've had any incidences of any scams/robberies involving door to door security system salesmen.

I would think that a burglar would just rob the houses that don't have security system signs, rather than trying to find out if the one house with a security system sign truly has a security system. I think it's more likely they were going to sell you a crappy system. I understand where you're coming from though, being home alone makes me come up with all kind of scenarios! But seriously, call the police to check if you're worried.

newg
05-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Like pp said...I would call the non-emergency police number and let them know someone is going door to door asking about current security systems and it made you uncomfortable.
If nothing else they may pick up patrol in your area for a bit to see if they notice anything......also like pp who said to talk to your neighbors....see what they think.

DrSally
05-11-2009, 10:17 PM
It could have very well been legitimate, but I try not to answer the door for salespeople, and definitely not give out any info. The security companies can really lay on the pressure with scare tactics, I've seen that. FWIW, I don't think people in the security business are necessarily all on the up and up, KWIM. I would talk to your neighbors too and see if they've been visited as well.

shawnandangel
05-11-2009, 10:50 PM
We had some of these guys come to our house. I got the name of the company and googled it. Total scam. They weren't even licensed to operate in TN! I don't think it was a potential robber, rather a potential scam.

Snow mom
05-12-2009, 12:44 AM
I would find it very hard to believe that a potential burglar would operate in this fashion . When criminals case a neighborhood they drive the streets trying to blend in while they gather information on your habits/patterns and your homes layout.

People absolutely case like this. It seems every few months there is an incident in my neighborhood like this where there is a break-in related to someone going door to door "selling something." Of course I live in a very urban (read: not great) neighborhood, but I'd be cautious about what you tell strangers that come to your door in any neighborhood.

infomama
05-12-2009, 01:10 AM
People absolutely case like this. It seems every few months there is an incident in my neighborhood like this where there is a break-in related to someone going door to door "selling something." Of course I live in a very urban (read: not great) neighborhood, but I'd be cautious about what you tell strangers that come to your door in any neighborhood.
I'm sorry you have so many burglaries in your neighborhood...that must be awfully unsettling.

Based on my experience, burglars may knock on the door to see if you are home but those who wait on your doorstep with clipboard, name tag and pitch line and more rare. Generally speaking, burglars don't operate like this (whereas home invaders do) however if the break ins in your neighborhood have been directly related to door to door "salesmen" I hope the police have taken notice, increased patrols and sent out a crime alert flyer.

lowrioh
05-12-2009, 08:45 AM
We have had several cases of these "security system" sales people in our community and it was a very shady business. Our local codes are VERY strict about soliciting and neighbors alerted the local police about these people immediately. The local police tracked them down, took their picture and told them that if they were caught soliciting in the town again they would be arrested. I have a sense that they were casing out houses to rob but there was a particularly aggressive sales person who tried to force his way into someones house and refused to leave the property when asked.
Be careful but don't beat yourself up about telling them you don't have a security system....they were probably just trying to scam you.

mamaoftwins
05-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Even though it's after the fact. Non-emergency number, as pps stated. We were having similar experiences with a 'company' in our area and the cops got so many complaints that they were able to stop it. The officer that came to my house to talk to me said to call the police ANYTIME you feel uneasy about anyone coming to your door, and to not think twice about it. That's what they are there for!! :)

Ours was a painting company that wanted to paint our street number on our curb for '911 reasons'. Funny thing is, we don't have a curb.

wolverine2
05-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Was it APX? They've been canvassing our whole area lately. From what people have researched, it's a real company but seems pretty shady. For example, they have no printed materials when asked for them, and they often say that the neighbors recommended they talk to you, as if they're on a personal basis w/ the neighbors. Luckily, I haven't been home when they've come by, and our doorbell doesn't work right now.

DrSally
05-12-2009, 04:59 PM

Just curious what type of info having someone answer the door would give them? Do they get a peak in the house, see if you are/aren't married, have an alarm system, etc. I guess I have no idea what casing entails. I try not to answer the door when I'm home alone wo/DH, but it's hard when they see you walking around inside.

fivi2
05-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Just curious what type of info having someone answer the door would give them? Do they get a peak in the house, see if you are/aren't married, have an alarm system, etc. I guess I have no idea what casing entails. I try not to answer the door when I'm home alone wo/DH, but it's hard when they see you walking around inside.

Not the person you were asking, but my neighborhood list had reports of issues after a bunch of people going door to door "selling magazines". Apparently there have been issues with these people all over my city. I don't have any personal experience, and neither does anyone I know irl, but I know there were comments on the list. We have several elderly people in my neighborhood, and someone going door to door would at least be able to determine who is home at what times, whether it appears to be an elderly person living alone with neighbors who are at work all day, college kids, families, etc. What type of locks, dogs, etc. I do not open the door, and I live in a fairly safe semi-urban neighborhood.

DrSally
05-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Not the person you were asking, but my neighborhood list had reports of issues after a bunch of people going door to door "selling magazines". Apparently there have been issues with these people all over my city. I don't have any personal experience, and neither does anyone I know irl, but I know there were comments on the list. We have several elderly people in my neighborhood, and someone going door to door would at least be able to determine who is home at what times, whether it appears to be an elderly person living alone with neighbors who are at work all day, college kids, families, etc. What type of locks, dogs, etc. I do not open the door, and I live in a fairly safe semi-urban neighborhood.

Interesting. Another reason just not to open the door to people I'm not expecting. Just this eveing while putting the kids to bed, someone rang the doorbell twice. I saw her walking away with some big portfolio. I have no idea who it was, but interrupt bedtime routine and I will not be happy.

infomama
05-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Interesting. Another reason just not to open the door to people I'm not expecting. Just this eveing while putting the kids to bed, someone rang the doorbell twice. I saw her walking away with some big portfolio. I have no idea who it was, but interrupt bedtime routine and I will not be happy.
Solution--stick a "no soliciting" sticker on your door. Our city hall and police department give them out with the ordinance number on them. We have had it up for years and haven't had one knock.

fivi2
05-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Just wanted to add that the biggest issue in my neighborhood appears to be people walking down the street, seeing someone gardening or playing in the back yard, and trying the front door. If it is unlocked (which some people do during the day while they are at home) they will walk in the front door and grab what they can - knowing the person is in the backyard. Again, I don't have any personal experience with this - just the gossip from the neighborhood list. We get a lot of random foot traffic in my neighborhood, so we can't report everyone we see! I hate to be paranoid, but when I hear stuff like this it is hard not to be!

infomama
05-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Just wanted to add that the biggest issue in my neighborhood appears to be people walking down the street, seeing someone gardening or playing in the back yard, and trying the front door. If it is unlocked (which some people do during the day while they are at home) they will walk in the front door and grab what they can - knowing the person is in the backyard. Again, I don't have any personal experience with this - just the gossip from the neighborhood list. We get a lot of random foot traffic in my neighborhood, so we can't report everyone we see! I hate to be paranoid, but when I hear stuff like this it is hard not to be!
Wow..that is messed up. People can't get withing five feet of my property line without my dog going crazy/barking. Guess that's one solution.

DrSally
05-12-2009, 09:37 PM

OK, this is one of my pet peeves for DH. He goes out the front door in the morning to get the paper, goes out periodically during the day for various things, and NEVER locks the door on his way back in. He's left the house while the kids and I were napping (back in the day when we all could nap at the same time) and I got up from a long nap to discover the front door open. Also, every night and everytime we leave for somewhere, *I* have to check the front door. It is always unlocked. Last night I locked it as I passed, DH opened the door to retrieve a package and the next time I walked by 2 min later, it was unlocked again! I told him that is the last thing I need to worry about--checking it all the time before I go somewhere (we leave out the back door) and before bed. ALSO, one time we went on a week long vacation and came back and the front door was unlocked. Now, hearing this info, I could clobber him!

jerseygirl07067
05-12-2009, 11:31 PM
I don't want to scare you, but yes, there is a chance that person was casing the neighborhood. We had an exact incident recently in an adjacent subdivision in our neighborhood. Someone was posing as an ADT rep with a badge. The observant person who answered the door noticed the colors of the badge and uniform, and they didn't look like the traditional ADT colors. She called ADT and was told that they always call first before they come to a home to sell something and that employees have a specific colored badge which did not match the description of the person who came to the door. They also confirmed that no one was selling anything door to door in the area.

The person also asked her if she was happy with her security system and how it was working.

I'd be very suspicious and follow up on finding out more info on this company/person as other PP have mentioned. I'd also notify the police dept and if you have a neighborhood watch program, let your block captain know too.

Snow mom
05-13-2009, 02:13 AM

I'm not entirely sure because I don't often associate with criminals ;) but I think they are getting a quick impression of your home, possessions, and possibly whether you look like you might be home during the day, and of course anything you tell them. A lot of homes in my neighborhood have the front door opening into the living room. Certainly people know what type of TV is in each home if someone answers the door. Most break-ins in my neighborhood are for a quick buck, tossing the house during the day while people are out. I'd certainly encourage anyone who gets asked by a door to door salesman about their alarm to respond with something along the lines of "Oh no, we are so happy with our current alarm company. We had a false alarm once and the police were here SO FAST!" It's unlikely to be true, but hopefully it will get them looking at someone else's flat screen TV.