PDA

View Full Version : Phone/TV/Internet who do you use?

MacMacMoo
05-11-2009, 08:52 PM
DH and I are moving and we know that for us we will be limited to who we are able to get service from and all, but we wanted to get an idea of how much to expect to be paying for cell phone, home line, tv, and internet.

So who are you using for the various things and how much do you end up paying each month? and if not doing all four, how much and with whom for the parts you are.

thanks

BillK
05-11-2009, 10:34 PM
We have our Cable TV, Internet and Home Phone all from our local cable provider - Armstrong Cable. Our TV is all the regular, digital and HD channels available without any "premium" channels like HBO, Showtime etc - we have 2 HD PVR's. Our internet is 10meg down and 1meg up and the phone is your typical free everything in the USA with all the voicemail, caller ID junk etc - that bill is like $163/mo.

Cell phone is Verizon wireless - my Blackberry, wife's phone, my dad's phone and my mother in law's phone - no extra texting stuff - 700 shared minutes and is $130/mo.

larig
05-11-2009, 11:30 PM
qwest for phone and dsl. Our dsl is SLOOOOOW, but that's the fault of the infrastructure in the neighborhood. Apart from laying new cable there's nothing they could do to make it faster. They were very helpful in determining what the problem was when we were paying for faster service, but not getting it. They credited the cost of what we were paying for the faster service, since for the time we paid for it before realizing we weren't seeing that kind of performance.

Our TV is directv, which I LOOOOOOOVE. I've had it since 95, and have nothing but good things to say about their service. I will NEVER have cable.

ETA: we pay about $140 for directv--we have ALL movie channels, sports channels, and some other premium a la carte channels, DVR service, HD service and local channels. Gosh, I think our phone and dsl is about $60 or 70, but I'm not 100% sure about that, because we pay it automatically, and sometimes it is a little higher if DH has lots of work calls.

jenny
05-12-2009, 07:05 AM
we use Verizon Fios for TV and internet. It's awesome! monthly bill for basic cable package that has like 600 channels and internet is $95.

amandabea
05-12-2009, 07:40 AM
We have Time Warner cable and high speed internet -- no home phone. I guess we have something like 300 channels and the higher speed internet connection since I work from home a few days a week. Overall no complaints. Cable internet is soooooo much faster than DSL. However, if we lived in an area where we could get Verizon Fios, we'd switch in an instant. I think we pay around $120/mo.

mommylamb
05-12-2009, 08:41 AM
We have cable (cox). We bundle phone, internet, and TV. Right now they're giving us HBO for free. I think our bill is about $170 a month, but we also have international calling so that DH can talk to his family in England. We also get several a la carte stations (fox soccer channel and setanta, which is also a soccer chanel... football is very big in my house so we have to get all the Manchester United games).

We did recently get fios lines in our neighborhood, so I've been thinking about looking into whether we could get the same deal for less through Verizon, but I've been really happy with the service we get from Cox and I'm reluctant to switch from something I know works.

mamaoftwins
05-12-2009, 08:49 AM
AT&T Uverse. LOVE them!!! :) TV (no movie channels), middle speed DSL, and landline: $140/mo

daniele_ut
05-12-2009, 12:04 PM
We have Comcast for cable, internet and phone right now and the bill totals $95 a month.

HIU8
05-12-2009, 12:55 PM
We have Verizon Fios for TV, internet and phone. So far we really like it. We used to have regular verizon for phone and internet with a package that included Direct TV. We are saving $40/month by doing all 3 under Fios now. Our total bill is $109/month.

Tanya
05-12-2009, 01:07 PM
We have Comcast expanded cable which is maybe 60 channels, no digital (my tv is from 1995) and also their high speed internet totaling about $100 a month (around $40 is for the internet).

Our phone is VOIP.com and it sucked at first, but the quality is fine now and I rarely ever have any problems. It includes unlimited long distance and all the extra feature stuff like caller id, call waiting, etc. We pay $199 a year for that, so that would be about $17/month. I had previously paid $27/month for the local telephone company and that was only local calls and no extras like caller id and they wanted to charge me an additional $13/month just to add caller id.

I have Tracfone for my cell and I do the one year card for about $100/year. Phone was free, so that works out to about $8 something a month. I have plenty of minutes for as much as I use it.

I will say we are somewhat limited in options. We can't have DSL Without using the local telephone company for telephone service. We can't switch to satellite and still have the high speed internet that we do (which is important to dh and his job). I get mad every year at Comcast because we are paying more for cable and they actually delete a couple channels every year, so we get fewer channels too.