PDA

View Full Version : I lost my driver's license- now what?

WitMom
05-11-2009, 10:35 PM
So, I was out shopping this evening, and one of the stores I was at asked for my driver's license. I couldn't find it anywhere...I tore my billfold and purse apart. I came home and looked everywhere in the house that it might be, searched through all of the clothes I've worn recently, looked through both vehicles and nothing. I can't even honestly remember the last time I had it, so I don't know how long it's been missing. I can work with the DMV to get it replaced, but I'm more concerned about potential identity theft. ANyone know what I need to do to protect myself?

ha98ed14
05-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Really, all you can do is report your license lost or stolen to the DMV and they will give you another. They will also note (hopefully) that you lost your old one. As for ID theft and to prevent someone from opening accounts in your name, call Equifax and thd the other two credit reporting agencies and ask them to put a fraud alert on your credit. Basically it means they have to call you before they open credit. It's not perfect, but we did it when my H lost his wallet with eberything inside. If you are feeling really paranoid ;) , you can get a credit report in 6 mos and again in a year to see if any accounts have been opened in your name that you don't know about.

gatorsmom
05-11-2009, 11:22 PM
So, I was out shopping this evening, and one of the stores I was at asked for my driver's license. I couldn't find it anywhere...I tore my billfold and purse apart. I came home and looked everywhere in the house that it might be, searched through all of the clothes I've worn recently, looked through both vehicles and nothing. I can't even honestly remember the last time I had it, so I don't know how long it's been missing. I can work with the DMV to get it replaced, but I'm more concerned about potential identity theft. ANyone know what I need to do to protect myself?

Call the three credit bureaus and put an "alert" on your accounts. If someone tries to open an account in your name, they have to call you for your approval. This part is important.

Also, I"m not sure this is necessary, but I'd call your bank accounts, too and let them know your driver's license is missing in case someone tries to use it to withdraw or something. I'm not sure anyone can do that, but it doesn't hurt to cover all your bases.

DietCokeLover
05-12-2009, 08:13 AM
I agree with PPs. I guess the only other thing I can think of that you could potentially do is sign up for something like Lifelock to protect yourself if you are really concerned.

WatchingThemGrow
05-12-2009, 08:55 AM
and btw, I've found my DL in the rubber seal inside the front-load washer 3x now!

HIU8
05-12-2009, 10:37 AM
:yeahthat:

DH and I have lifelock and I would highly recommend it.