PDA

View Full Version : Nipple shield or pump?

elektra
05-12-2009, 02:57 PM
BF is really painful for me this time around. I have a LC appt on Thurs, but in the meantime I have been using a nipple shield. One of my nipples does seem to be healing a bit and i was able to nurse a few times last night without it.
The thing is my BF book ( A Nursing Mother's Companion) advises against the nipple shields and recommends just pumping and giving a bottle instead.

Anyone have BTDT advice in this regard?
DS seems to be going back and forth from nipple shield to nipple with no problem so far. I think our problem is that his latch is not great and he ends up too far down on my nipple instead of getting more of the areola like when he first latches on, KWIM?

egoldber
05-12-2009, 03:16 PM
There used to be a great deal of bias against the nipple shield in breastfeeding literature. They are now considered a useful tool and not discarded outright as they often were previously.

I used a nipple shield with Amy for about the first 4 weeks. It seriously saved our nursing relationship because she would not latch without it. If using the shield means you can nurse without pain until you see the LC, then I would use it.

There is *some* concern that using the shield may lead to decreased supply, so it may be recommended to pump after nursing with the shield to make sure that the breast is fully emptied.

L'sMommy
05-12-2009, 03:17 PM
I was in pain most of the time I BF. I saw a LC early on and she had me use a sheild every feeding. When the pain got really bad, she told me to pump for 2-3 feedings to give myself a break (DS has a very strong suck). Eventually, our routine was 2 days on the breast, 2 days pumping (and DS got a bottle). This worked for us and I used the sheild the entire time I BF.

justincase
05-12-2009, 03:51 PM
At recommendation of LC, I used a shield for both my DC's, about three weeks for each. With DS it saved my ruined nipples and with DD it got us through her weak suck. In both cases I couldn't have kept BF without it. I don't think it can hurt to use for a couple of days until you can see LC to get help with latch.

ETA: And I'd be a little afraid to pump and give a bottle instead of BF *too* frequently *this* early on. Just my non-expert opinion, though.

kdeunc
05-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Another positive nipple shield story. DD was tongue tied and I was really having an issue with pain while nursing. My ped and LC recommended the shield, which I had not used with either of my other children. We used it a lot (almost every nursing) for almost three months until her tongue tie was repaired. It completely saved our nursing relationship and she is still BF at 9 1/2 months.

foerdani
05-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I was bleeding and cracked before I used the nipple shield. I spoke to the LC at the hospital and she said if it works use it. I also spoke to my daughters Pediatrician and she said it was fine as well. I used up until about 2 weeks ago (when my daughter turned 4 months). She finally could latch okay with out it. All I can say is thank goodness for the nipple shield. I would have quit with out it. Also you may want to stock up. One time we lost it and it was a nightmare because she would not eat with out it. HTH.

tmphilo
05-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Yet another positive nipple shield story...I too would have quit breastfeeding without the aid of the nipple shield. The LC had me start using it in the hospital when DD was having trouble latching. We ended up using it for her first 12 weeks when she completely weaned herself from it. I think we used it longer than most, but if it meant she'd get breast milk longer, I was all for it. She never had any nipple confusion and went easily between the nipple, nipple shield and bottle. For me, pumping when my nipples were really raw was more painful than feeding with the nipple shield. The only draw back was that I always had to have one with me to feed her. Good luck!

mom2binsd
05-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Another it's okay to use the shield....due to my anatomy I could not of BF without them, a number of different LC's encouraged me to use them to continue BFeeding!

newg
05-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Another one for the shield!!!
LC started me on it day one because dd was severely tongue tied and six weeks early...so she could not latch on at all and was trying so hard!!! Used a shield the entire time I BF (12 months).....does add another element to BF, but totally possible...I also was pumping and freezing milk...so my supply was never an issue for me.....

So if that's what works for you and DC then do it.....my moto is whatever works...do it....
Good Luck!!

Melaine
05-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I never heard the negative stuff about the shields. It definitely helped us. I would certainly not hesitate to use it.

justincase
05-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Also you may want to stock up.
:yeahthat:
I had one at each end of the house plus one in the diaper bag (in a travel soap case!)

Nooknookmom
05-14-2009, 06:37 PM
I pumped too but the nipple shield is one of the things that I can say saved our BFing. I had one stuck everywhere!!!!