PDA

View Full Version : First-Time Mom - What stroller do I buy????

emailkathy
05-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Please help me. I really need to know what stroller/car seat to buy. I've read and read product descriptions and reviews until I am more confused than I was when I started.

I live in Atlanta, so I won't be using public transportation. I drive a Honda CRV, so I need something that will fit in my car. I don't want something too heavy, but I don't want to sacrifice quality/safety either.

I need suggestions for a carset that is compatible with the stroller, or at least I think I do. And I want a stroller that I won't end up regretting. I have NO IDEA what to buy...

THANK YOU!

arivecchi
05-12-2009, 03:11 PM
My suggestion would be the Graco Snugride car seat and a Baby Jogger City Classic or a Baby Jogger City Elite. The Sungride is reasonably priced, safe and easy to use. Baby Joggers are awesome strollers. Huge canopies, easy fold, lots of storage, super tall seats that your child can grow into, reclines totally flat for newborns. You can buy a car seat adapter for the Snugride to use with the Baby Jogger or just buy a Snuzzler and place your child directly on the stroller. I have a few strollers and my Baby Jogger is my fave! GL!

http://www.babyjogger.com/city_classic_lp.aspx

http://www.babyjogger.com/city_elite_lp.aspx

P.S. You can also buy the Snap n Go to use at first and decide on a stroller once the Snap n Go no longer meets your needs and you have a better idea of what you want in a stroller.

codex57
05-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Snap n Go at first is a good iddea.

I think the Baby Jogger City Mini should be looked at too. I know it can't go offroad as much as the bigger BJ strollers, but the CR-V isn't huge and you might appreciate it not taking up as much room. Every little bit counts when you don't have a huge trunk.

edurnemk
05-12-2009, 04:30 PM
If you'll be using it for outdoor walks, go for something with air or foam tires and good suspension (Like the BJCE or BJCC a pp suggested, although there's many other in this category). If it's just for the mall and smooth surfaces and only occassional outdoor use on smooth sidewalks you can choose something with smaller plastic wheels, like a Peg Perego Switch or P3, Bugaboo Bee, etc.

It's easier to narrow the search if you define what you'll use it for. A lot of moms go for the Snap n Go for the first couple of months while they figure out what they need/like in a stroller. I'm not a fan of keeping the baby in the car seat for long periods, though.

Oh, and most strollers are compatibe with Graco car seats, so that's always a good choice.

lorinick
05-12-2009, 04:33 PM
I second the BJCM love how light weight it is and you'll have no problem fitting it in your car.

arivecchi
05-12-2009, 04:55 PM
I didn't realize you were in Atlanta. The BJCM might be a great choice there as you don't have to deal with snow. However, if you are the outdoorsy type and want to take your strollers on trails, beaches, etc., you want a stroller with air tires, like a BJCE, BJCC, Mountain Buggy, Valco, Bob, etc.

WatchingThemGrow
05-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Snap n Go at first is a good iddea.

I think the Baby Jogger City Mini should be looked at too. I know it can't go offroad as much as the bigger BJ strollers, but the CR-V isn't huge and you might appreciate it not taking up as much room. Every little bit counts when you don't have a huge trunk.

I have a CR-V and a BJCED, and there is still a sizeable amount of space in there for carrying stuff. And, I never like the idea of doing the SnG thing because of the flat-head our kids are subject to. Putting the baby directly into the stroller is better for them. JMO :)

GraceH
05-13-2009, 12:58 AM
I love my SnugRide32 and highly recommend it...
I also stand by my Graco Mosaic stroller if you need a do-all choice on a budget... though lately I've been wondering if I could fit my SR32 in a Peg Perego Si'

TXmomma1
05-13-2009, 10:41 AM
I just went down this stroller route --- and while I haven't tested my equipment out with the baby...here is what I decided after doing a ton of research.

Graco Snugride 32 with Snap-N-Go system in the beginning (b/c a snap-n-go is just as much as the stroller attachment! Amazon has them for $48 w/ free ship)

BJCE --- but it was really a toss up b/w that and the BJCM. I LOVED the CM in the store. So small and lightweight and stroller really nicely but I do want to be able to use it along trails, etc if need be so I got the CE. The BJCM is very affordable and right now BRU has their 15% off stroller promo going. The coupon doesn't say it excludes BJ either.

mimi2008
05-13-2009, 12:41 PM
I tried applying that BRU 15% stroller coupon on-line and it didn't work for the BJCM. don't know why. anyone got this coupon code to work?

lorinick
05-13-2009, 01:40 PM
I tried applying that BRU 15% stroller coupon on-line and it didn't work for the BJCM. don't know why. anyone got this coupon code to work?

NO but my local store sells the BJCM in store. And you can use the 20% off coupon they mailed if you got that.

emailkathy
05-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks! I think after looking that I'm going to go with the BJCM. It seems perfect for my needs (and price range!)

I appreciate all the feedback!

zag95
05-15-2009, 06:53 PM
I would say get a snugride car seat and a snap n go to start- then you can have a little more time to shop.

We got a Maclaren Quest when we registered-but didn't use it until Dd was about 6-7 mos and moving out of her infant seat.

We also just bought a BJCC for neighborhood walks, etc. It is fabulous! I wish I had got it sooner- excellent sunshade and great fold. It is a bit heavy- but it's an all terrain, so it isn't going to be ultra light! I was recently at BRU and saw the BJCM- which are now being carried there- those things rock! If we need a double stroller, I think that's what I'll be getting! It was really light and folded pretty flat. Today I loaded my BJCC in my 93 accord and it was fine- so I know it will fit in your CRV!!!

GL and congrats!

scmama
05-17-2009, 01:01 AM
I ended up getting a Graco Snugride and a snap n go stroller with DS. I loved it! Now we are using the BJCM and I'm sooo glad I got it. I had such a hard time deciding on what stroller to get when I was pregnant and I got wonderful advice from everyone here.

Good Luck :)

SomeoneLikeYou
05-18-2009, 07:27 AM
I'd go with a Snap n Go (you can find them on Craigs for $25) and a Snugride. My baby was in her infant seat for 10 months and if yours is as well, that could mean a whole new line of strollers to consider :)

swrc00
05-19-2009, 05:22 PM
I also live in Atlanta. I started out with the snap and go frame and now I am using the BJCM. The BJCM has a great sun shade for the summer heat. I have a Ford Escape and have no problem with space. I don't know if you are familiar with the Greenway, but it performed great there. It is great for strolls in the neighborhood or trips to the mall. The Babies R' Us on Northpoint Parkway has one on the floor you can try. I am so glad we got the BJCM!

NouvelleMere
05-21-2009, 10:29 AM

I called BRU about the coupon problem last week. You can either order over the phone and they will honor the coupon, or make your order online and then call and they will credit you the amount you would save with the coupon. I have not actually ordered yet because I started to wonder if maybe I should get a BOB instead...

Does anyone have a code for 20%? I am not sure if they send out different coupons at the same time.

And to the original post question: I have a Honda CR-V and I got a Maclaren Easy Traveler to start and a Graco SafeSeat carseat. Both are fantastic and very light. The car seat is very easy to snap on and off the MacClaren frame and the frame has a HUGE basket underneath to tote DS's enormous Vera diaper bag. The frame is useful because you do not need all the bells and whistles to start and I like keeping my son in his carseat for the time being as I know his head and neck are secure and not bobbling around. I am also going to get either a City Mini or a Bob for when DS is a little bigger.

AnnieW625
05-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Our stroller inventory is the following:
Maclaren Triumph (used since DD was three months old!) and this is the best portable and small stroller ever. We have a 01 Corolla and it takes up zero space in the trunk. If you really like the umbrella stroller style then also look at the Maclaren Techno XLR as it takes an infant seat like the Graco. The Techno XLR is much lighter than a Graco Quattro and much nicer in quality too.

For jogging check out something like a Bob Revolution, which is really close in size to Baby Jogger City Elite, but you can actually jog with it and use it all over the place, including the mall, trails, etc. Lots of people can actually make this stroller their only, but it might take up more room in the back of your CRV. I'd be lost without my jogger!

We also have an Uppa Baby Vista (2007 model bought off Craigslist) and it's a nice reversable handle carriage style stroller with a bassinet. It does well on sand, sidewalks, and is good for long walks (2/1/2 to 3 miles). Also the basket is HUGE! It's very well made and a great all around stroller. It takes up more room in my Honda Pilot trunk than the Maclaren, but I do love the stroller a lot. It's a good investment and you'll get your money out of the stroller if you decide to buy and then sell in the future.

codex57
05-21-2009, 01:42 PM
I like Maclaren, but not the Technos. At that weight, you're better off with a Zippy or P3 or BJ City Mini IMO. Much more user friendly and often even better features.