PDA

View Full Version : nannycam/nanny cam

Sweetum
05-12-2009, 05:09 PM
I want to install nanny cam(s) in my house. Any rules/etiquette? Any brand/type recommendations? How many? Any other ideas around it? Would love to hear from everyone, especially those who have such systems installed.

I tried searching on the forums but couldn't find any information. Incorrect search term(s), perhaps? Links to previous posts would also be appreciated.

TIA
-SunshineAndMe

sste
05-12-2009, 09:24 PM
I haven't installed one but we have some friends that have. I think the biggest rule is that your childcare provider should be informed of the nannycam. Perhaps you can tell her that it is b/c you miss your DC and want to see your DC at work.

Also, it sounds like you have made up your mind, but I did want to mention that we have had several babysitters and our current nanny so lots of experience with people working in our house. If you are feeling like you would feel better with a nannycam then you may not have the right nanny working for you.

Melaine
05-12-2009, 09:27 PM
If you are feeling like you would feel better with a nannycam then you may not have the right nanny working for you.

As a former nanny, I have to agree with this. Not that I think there is anything wrong with a nanny-cam, but if you have any concerns that warrant one, I wouldn't wait to look for "proof", I'd find a better childcare situation. JMO.

infomama
05-12-2009, 09:46 PM
I think the biggest rule is that your childcare provider should be informed of the nannycam.
I totally disagree. People are more likely to "behave" when they know they are being watched/recorded.
My girlfriend installed a nanny cam in her smoke detector after her housekeeper complained about the nanny's methods. She caught the nanny leaving the baby (about 4 months old at the time) in her carseat for hours and hours (awake and crying) upon returning from an errand and (the worst) the nanny pulling the baby out from under a baby gym by her feet and swinging her up like a rag doll into her arms. Yes, she was holding onto her feet and she swung her up, though the air...bizzare but it happened, she has the video to prove it.
The only rule is that you can't install the cameras in a bathroom. It's your home and you have every right to install hidden cameras without telling anyone about them.

sste
05-12-2009, 10:08 PM
We will have to agree to disagree.

Your point is that people are more likely to "behave" when they know they are being watched and so you think it is not a good idea to tell the nanny. Don't you WANT the nanny to behave?? If you think there could be some kind of abuse or neglect and you think the nannycam will stop that isn't that a good thing - - preventing it, rather than watching it after the fact on video!

I also think there are issues of respectfulness and the kind of relationship you want to have with your nanny. I know how I would want to be treated in a job and I try to treat others that way - - I would not be pleased if my employer was videotaping me all day without telling me. Also, as I mentioned, I would not hire anyone to care for my child who I didn't trust completely, whose references I hadn't checked into the ground, who I hadn't hung around the house for a week or so observing, and who, once they got to know each other, my child didn't light up for when she walked in the door.

The one mediocre (not abusive or neglectful) babysitter we had in the bunch, I knew it and we ended our employment relationship in about 5 weeks. I could tell. And my baby, who was under a year, made it clear that he thought she was just OK, too.

fortato
05-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Why put one in at all if you are going to tell your nanny that it's there? Why not put a fake camera somewhere... or something that looks like one?

We all would behave differently if we thought we were being recorded.

annasmom
05-13-2009, 07:45 AM
I would definitely tell the nanny prior to installing the camera.

I don't agree that the only reason to install a camera would be to catch someone in a wrongful act. When I had a nanny, I would have loved to have been able to catch a glimpse of my dcs' day. I had a wonderful nanny whom my dc loved dearly. I didn't doubt my nanny at all, and I often was home when she cared for my dc, but still it would have been reasssuring to this mom to see her dc well loved and happy.

Trust is so important in a parent/care giver relationship. I would think that if a nanny finds a nanny cam, and hasn't been informed of it, she might think the parents do not trust her to do the job. If you have any doubt, at all, that your care giver is neglecting, abusing, or just not doing their job, then terminate the relationship.

MeyersDVM
05-13-2009, 08:00 AM
I'll add my two cents worth...

I agree that YOU need to feel comfortable with the person that is providing care for your child(ren). When our latest nanny started over a year ago, we had the best "gut feeling" about her, but our relatives insisted that we install a nanny cam since they had heard so many horror stories.

After much research we went with this model:
http://www.spyville.com/wireless-color-computer-camera.html
Very easy for DH to install. Took me a little longer to setup properly on the computer to record (I think it only is compatible with XP). Pretty inexpensive. We only did the one camera in the main house area, but the layout of our home makes it so that we were able to see the kitchen, dining and living area. I recorded entire days and then would scan through them on fast forward just to check on things. I think I did this a handful of times before I quit watching, and then quit turning it on. I never told her that we quit using it.

We were up front and disclosed that we had a nanny cam- many day cares have cameras- and we stated it as such. Our nanny had no problem with it. Personally, it was piece of mind for us having a new caregiver and now we don't even have it hooked up. I wouldn't trade our nanny for the world- she is worth her weight in gold, BUT until I came to that conclusion the camera was added security for us and our relatives that we had a good person taking care of our kids.

HTH

vball4all
05-13-2009, 12:35 PM
I would check to see what the state law is about disclosing surveillance. You may even need to display a small sign/sticker on the door to alert all visitors. Definitely don't do the bathrooms.

I understand the "gut feel" and "trust" thing, but unless you really know these people, its difficult to predict an individual's behavior based on interviews or observed sessions (when you are there). Plus, fear levels rise based on some of the stories displayed on TV. Its your baby/babies - do what you need to do (within reason) to gain a comfort level. You may find yourself like the PP - that after watching a bit and getting an idea - you may not feel the need to use the camera system any longer.

I haven't had time to check out the prior link given, this link (http://www.homesecuritystore.com/security-cameras.html)was given to me from a friend who is in to computer security. You can get pretty elaborate with the system - but you may want to start with something real simple. Or, maybe just find a way to record audio - see if you hear something out of the ordinary before investing in cameras?

Good luck. If you find something interesting or very successful, please share.

shoxie
05-13-2009, 01:45 PM
If you are feeling like you would feel better with a nannycam then you may not have the right nanny working for you.

I disagree. I belong to a huge mom's group, and we just got a post from one mom who is beyond sick about what she's heard regarding her nanny from a few acquaintances. The nanny apparently came with glowing recommendations, and the parents had absolutely no reason to think she'd be neglecting or mistreating their children. Trying to just go by your "gut" doesn't always cut it, unfortunately. In any case, this mom sent out a plea to everyone to please tell the children's parents if you happen to observe something not right with regards to childcare. This really scared me. She wrote that she was just horrified over this situation and wasn't sure how she'd be able to trust another nanny. These are our children, and I can't help but think that their welfare comes first and foremost. Trusting people is wonderful, but no one is perfect. No one can be 100% sure that everything is ok with regards to childcare. I've seen some pretty bad childcare, and I highly doubt that the parents would condone it or knowingly hired someone that they thought would treat their children badly. I would think that every parent hires a nanny they think is wonderful, but sadly that's not always the case...Just MHO, no offense meant to anyone. It really scares me to think of what might go on with children, particularly when they're little and can't say anything. This doesn't mean everyone should have cameras, but if you want one, I don't see a problem with it.

As far as whether or not to tell the caregiver about the camera, I'm not sure. It might be required by law, but I have no idea. One PP had a good point - everyone behaves better on camera. And you can't have cameras everywhere. Their purpose is to give you peace of mind that your children are safe and being taken care of lovingly, plain and simple. We are video-taped all over the place; in this case, I really think the children's well-being trumps any concerns of trust or courtesy to the caretaker. If she's good, she truly won't mind. I used to babysit often, and I absolutely would not have been upset if the parents had cameras in their house (whether they told me about them or not). Maybe some did - I don't know.

raj
05-13-2009, 02:26 PM
We bought htis Panasonic Wireless network camera 2 years ago when my Nanny first started..the idea was to watch my baby from work and see how the nanny did..It works great. I highly recommend it. You get to creat your own web link that you can share with friends and family by assigning them a password and you can watch your baby remotely too.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BL-C131A-Network-Camera-Wireless/dp/B000NVR9SM/ref=cm_lmf_tit_26_rsrsrs0

kijip
05-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Your point is that people are more likely to "behave" when they know they are being watched and so you think it is not a good idea to tell the nanny. Don't you WANT the nanny to behave?? If you think there could be some kind of abuse or neglect and you think the nannycam will stop that isn't that a good thing - - preventing it, rather than watching it after the fact on video!

:yeahthat:

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
05-15-2009, 06:37 PM
As a former Nanny, I wouldn't have minded, as long as he restroom was off limits, obviously. ;) I may have been caught picking a wedgie, or adjusting a bra strap or the like, so I would prefer it was just the mom watching....The youngest was 5 and the oldest was 10, so they could have spoken up for themselves if there was abuse.The oldest just finished her freshman year in college.... I would have been caught singing "put the syrup in the cup" to Christina Aguilera's Jeanie in a Bottle, along with the kids.I was young and goofy, the kids and I did crazy fun stuff, which would have been hilarious on camera. I am really glad they didn't have a nannycam!!!!

I have to say, once I had established trust with the family, to know they still had one, would make me feel a bit sad. Trust takes time...