PDA

View Full Version : Dang Yearbook

MMEand1
05-12-2009, 06:12 PM
So my DS, a kindergartener, brings home a slip a few weeks ago to order a yearbook. It is $15 and is NOT a hard-back book. This is his first year of school, so why not, right?

Well, we get the yearbook and what is listed to my DS's name? NOT PICTURED!!!! I called the yearbook company and was told that each school has a different cut-off as to when pictures need to be in place for the book. I know that the book was not even ordered until a few weeks ago, so how hard would it have been to check with the 41 kids that are not pictured and see if there is a picture that could be used. We took pictures using the same company at DS's last school as well as Spring pictures here - all the same photo company and yearbook company.

The yearbook is really pitiful, too. It is grades pre-k through 5th grade. There are no random shots of the kids, or of activities that have been done throughout the year. All it has is each class with the kids and the teacher, a couple of pages with the other aux. teachers (PE, art) and the Principal, office workers, etc. and a page with a picture of the 8 clubs the school has (safety patrol, strings club, young astronauts, etc).

I am really upset that my DS's first yearbook is such a waste, especially since his picture is not even there. I am going to call his other school and see if he is in their yearbook. We moved in December, so it's not likely that they will have left his picture in, but you would think that his current school would have had time to put it in.

How do you explain to your 6 year old why his picture was not in the yearbook?

Cam&Clay
05-12-2009, 09:02 PM
I work in an elementary school and am close to the person who handles the yearbook. They have definite deadlines that they have to meet, but if your DS' name was in there, there was time to get at least a candid shot or a head shot against a plain background before the deadline. Having said that, I will say that it is a pain to hunt down the kids who need pics, but our person gets each and every one of them because...well, because it is upsetting to not be included.

It takes some extra effort, and I'm sorry that whomever is in charge did not take the time to do that. 41 kids, really? That's terrible.

ThreeofUs
05-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Take a picture of him and paste it in! At least it will be there for you all when you look at the book 20 years from now....

MamaMolly
05-12-2009, 11:19 PM
:yeahthat: that is a great idea!

new_mommy25
05-13-2009, 02:51 PM
OMG! Your post just reminded me that I forgot to turn in the order form for my DS's year book. I just called the school and am hoping I can get in late.

Sorry to hear about your son's picture. :( I agree that pasting a picture in is better than nothing.