PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a lightly used breast pump?!

MrsGoose
05-13-2009, 08:13 AM
I have an aquaintence whose milk never came in...she is selling her lightly used PISA for 160. Off I buy new tubing and membranes, should I go for it?!

Tia!!

deannanb
05-18-2009, 11:38 PM
yes, buy it - you just need to buy new horns, tubing and membranes - all relatively inexpensive!
I rented from the hospital for a month and then borrowed a friends PIS - I would have gone out to buy one if she hadn't mentioned she had one!

Good Luck

Riley's mama
05-19-2009, 02:47 PM
yes, buy it - you just need to buy new horns, tubing and membranes - all relatively inexpensive!
I rented from the hospital for a month and then borrowed a friends PIS - I would have gone out to buy one if she hadn't mentioned she had one!

:yeahthat:

Just make sure you sterilize everything that will come into contact with the milk!

Melaine
05-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Yep, for sure.

hillview
05-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Yes -- unless you think she is in a high risk group (AIDS/IV drug use).
/hillary

doggiemom
05-19-2009, 10:52 PM
My midwife wrote me a prescription for one (poor latch in the beginning) and then the health insurance paid for it as long as I bought one through a medical supply place. Might be a better/cheaper/safer alternative.

kijip
05-20-2009, 04:17 AM
If I was sure it was very lightly used. For me it is not a matter of safety, but of quality- those PIS motors don't last forever- for heavy use, they tend to last 1 baby at full performance.

NouvelleMere
05-21-2009, 10:09 AM
I recommend buying a new one. A friend of mine offered me her barely used Medela, but I decided to get my own even though she had only used it a couple of times. I love hand-me-downs and I have gotten a lot of wonderful baby things from friends, but I think there are a few things that everyone should buy new (unless used with a previous child of their own): crib, car seat, pump (all for safety/health concerns).